Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Continuous downloading

This is a discussion on Continuous downloading within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I am using Windows Live Mail in Win 7 on three machines, main desktop, laptop and netbook. Using IMAP ...

steveob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01932
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Continuous downloading

Hi

I am using Windows Live Mail in Win 7 on three machines, main desktop, laptop and netbook. Using IMAP and not POP3. The laptop and netbook keep on wanting to download everything, literally thousands of messages every time I open Live Mail. It takes hours!! and presumably eats in to my base 2gb allowance. The messages are already there so why does it do this? Is there some setting I have missed? I don't want to uncheck "leave a message on the server" as that would stop me from seeing older emails if I log in using webmail on a different PC.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Continuous downloading

I don't want to uncheck "leave a message on the server"
      I think this is your problem. If the message is left on the server it will download each time you log on if you have deleted it from your local PC.
      Do you have any particular reason for using IMAP? This is really only useful if you are accessing the mail server from different PCs. It does not look like you are doing that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thnks for the reply Isitme. Am using IMAP as it was recommended when I changed to Sky to keep different PCs in synch. What I don't understand is why it wants to download every email again to the laptop and the netbook each time I log in to Live Mail. It downloads every email, not just those I have deleted but they only appear once. I have three email addresses with Sky and two old ntlworld addresses and it seems to download the lot. One of the pains with this is that if I want to send a reply, the Outbox waits until everything has been downloaded before sending. Aagh

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

IMAP will do that to sync what is on the server to what is on the PC, it should only have to do it once and then just track changes. This may also be the reason why you are using more bandwidth than you thought to be honest.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It downloads every email, not just those I have deleted
      It will not be downloading the email if it is present on your PC. What it is doing is downloading the headers and comparing them to what you have. If any particular email is present on your PC it will do no more, if it is not, it will download it, even if you have had it and deleted it. Have a look here for some ideas on how to configure your email. - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...706811033.aspx

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks again for the replies. It may be getting clearer but why does sky mail not know that I have already downloaded them?!? Checking several thousand each time seems like a waste. Can I safely just abort it? Will read the ms link when I have time.

Thanks again