Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Outgoing Mail Server???

This is a discussion on Which Outgoing Mail Server??? within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Okay hi people, im new here, ive been trying to solve my problem for days now, ive gone through every ...

-Cloud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Which Outgoing Mail Server???

Okay hi people, im new here, ive been trying to solve my problem for days now, ive gone through every single page (nearly) searching for my solution to my problem but no luck, even tried searching around the net but no luck. But i just want to say there are alot of threads in this forum and if i ask the same problem as someone else did im sorry i didnt come across it and im really tired now of searching, so i hope people can take their time and help me out with this, i would be grateful, thank you.

Anyways im not a genius at these computer knowledge but i do know my fair share, so here goes:

Well im trying to send out logs and alerts from my router to my email just as a precaution for security etc but i only use one mail service and that is a Webmail service, Hotmail.com or otherwise known as Windows Live Hotmail now. I dont use the sky email service nor do i use any other mail services such as the email clients e.g. outlook, netscape, thunderbird etc. But before you read anymore, is it possible to get logs and alerts even though i do not use any email clients/program or the sky email service?

So now im stuck at the section where it asks for the outgoing mail server in the router email section preferences???? I dont have a clue what to do put in there?

It asks this:

"type the name or IP address of the outgoing SMTP mail server of your ISP (for example, mail.myISP.com). "

I have tried stating the SMTP for msn as well as windows live and also used skys outgoing mail server but still nothing, it gives me a error:

"530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. d38sm79122ugf.4"

What the hell does that mean???

Can anybody help me?

Thank you
      (Ohh by the way if this is in the wrong section i apologise)

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Which Outgoing Mail Server???

You are going to need an SMTP server, we do one for free

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/skyus...p-account.html
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      You are going to need an SMTP server, we do one for free

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/skyus...p-account.html
      sorry i dont quite follow? What do i say in the application and why do i need an SMTP server can you explain, doesnt hotmail have one or something and also would that mean i cannot use my hotmail and have to start using the sky email? sorry....

Thanks
      Blog Entries

SMTP needs to be authenticated normally.

An MSN email is not a Sky one, hence why the Sky connection would bounce it back if using Sky's details.

I have never tried sending an email via MSN's SMTP - in fact I didn't even know they offered it.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

SMTP needs to be authenticated normally.

An MSN email is not a Sky one, hence why the Sky connection would bounce it back if using Sky's details.

I have never tried sending an email via MSN's SMTP - in fact I didn't even know they offered it.
      So does that mean i cannot use my hotmail email address anymore, i have to start a new one with sky? Or would i just need to sign up for the SMTP sky server and still able to use my hotmail account and do the necessary steps in order to get the logs? Basically how does this work if i applied for it, sorry to bombard you with all these questions, i just dont understand the SMTP and POP business lol.... I just want to find out before applying for it??

Thanks
      Blog Entries

You can still use your MSN email address

If you had for example your own domain:

myemailaddy@mydomain.co.uk and tried to send an email through Sky's SMTP server, it would append yourusername@sky.com (ie your Sky email address) so any replies from any email you send from myemailaddy@mydomain.co.uk would actually get returned to yourusername@sky.com if a person replies. (hope that makes sense)

If you use a third party SMTP server, ie ours, then you can use the email address

anythingyoulike@anydomainyoulike.co.uk and when anyone replies it would return to that email address, not your yourusername@sky.com address.

Sky use Google (Skoogle) and so unauthenticated email against the SMTP is rejected so to speak, to reduce spam.

Read the instructions, apply for it - normally takes anything from minutes to a few hours to get setup. Once setup, you would put our SMTP details in along with your username and password, and away you go

Exchange:
      Thanks

You can still use your MSN email address

If you had for example your own domain:

myemailaddy@mydomain.co.uk and tried to send an email through Sky's SMTP server, it would append yourusername@sky.com (ie your Sky email address) so any replies from any email you send from myemailaddy@mydomain.co.uk would actually get returned to yourusername@sky.com if a person replies. (hope that makes sense)

If you use a third party SMTP server, ie ours, then you can use the email address

anythingyoulike@anydomainyoulike.co.uk and when anyone replies it would return to that email address, not your yourusername@sky.com address.

Sky use Google (Skoogle) and so unauthenticated email against the SMTP is rejected so to speak, to reduce spam.

Read the instructions, apply for it - normally takes anything from minutes to a few hours to get setup. Once setup, you would put our SMTP details in along with your username and password, and away you go
      Im really sorry about this, but i still dont understand!

Im using a hotmail or windows live hotmail email address, i just cant understand why i need to use another SMTP server, doesnt hotmail have their own one or something?

If hotmail did not have a SMTP server and a POP server, then how comes i could receive and send mail? So what mail server have i been using all this time?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

If hotmail did not have a SMTP server and a POP server, then how comes i could receive and send mail? So what mail server have i been using all this time?
      Do you send and receive your Hotmail through Outlook, Outlook Express or similar, or do you logon to Hotmail and then send / receive through the browser?

There is a huge difference, between the two methods.

On the web browser, you have already signed into your Hotmail account, therefore authenticated, therefore allowed to send your email.

Well im trying to send out logs and alerts from my router to my email just as a precaution for security etc but i only use one mail service and that is a Webmail service, Hotmail.com or otherwise known as Windows Live Hotmail now.
      Quite simply, it is trying to send emails through Hotmail, but you haven't added your Hotmail username and password, or in simple words you have not authenticated. Therefore Hotmail would reject it as spam or an attempt to spam.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 26-09-08 at 03:19 AM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

i use my Hotmail address in Outlook 2007 and it sends receives fine...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks
      Blog Entries

@ IANTE

How did you set it up?

Maybe if the OP knows how to set it up in Outlook, then he should be able to replicate into the router?

From what I understand, he uses the web to access it, so theoretically if it works through Outlook, then it should work with the router.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast