Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Why Would I Need A Free Smtp Acoount?

This is a discussion on Why Would I Need A Free Smtp Acoount? within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi skyuser i am somewhat curious on why you are setting a free smtp account for members of the forum ...

Homsey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Why Would I Need A Free Smtp Acoount?

Hi skyuser i am somewhat curious on why you are setting a free smtp account for members of the forum as the sky ones do seems to run fine in outlook express and other clients and what is the advantages also of having another account and how secure is it also i am sorry for raising this but maybe if it is not broke why fix it.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Why Would I Need A Free Smtp Acoount?

why you are setting a free smtp account for members of the forum
      When Sky changed to Skoogle mail, people with an email address ie

myname@atmydomain.co.uk

When they sent an email, it was appended to 'on behalf of yourname@sky.com' and therefore the return email was the yourname@sky.com

The reason this service is free, we have two servers, that are online, the SMTP service has been setup on a server that does not have a lot of use. We pay for the second server anyway, so it is no extra cost for us to offer this, therefore its free for our members.

how secure is it
      In what way? To use the SMTP account, you have to give us your forum username and a password that is not used anywhere else. Therefore this server only knows you as forumusername and mypasswordwhichisnotusedanywhereelse. So if this server was subject to any hack attack, then all that person would achieve is a forum username and a password which is not used for anything else.

The SMTP accounts are not setup with any other details, and the service is unwarranted on our behalf, as in the form of Service Levels, although we have not had an outage yet, with nearly 800 members using it.

Its a simple SMTP service that we offer, nothing more nothing less, and of course free.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Homsey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Why Would I Need A Free Smtp Acoount?

Thanx for reply now i understand i see what has happened.