Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

IMAP and folders

This is a discussion on IMAP and folders within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Recently changed from POP to IMAP and like the way folders are synchronised on my desktop and laptop. Unfortunately, on ...

steveob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01932
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

IMAP and folders

Recently changed from POP to IMAP and like the way folders are synchronised on my desktop and laptop. Unfortunately, on my desktop I now have about sixty folders in OE, the thirty or so I had before with POP and nine each for my three sky email addresses. My wife wants to keep all the old folders so the question is this: If I delete the three sky email IMAP folders, will the emails go in to the OE "Local folders" Inbox as before with POP or will they not come through at all?

Alternatively, can I move all those folders in to the main sky account which my wife uses. I think I've seen this somewhere in another thread about IMAP but would be grateful for confirmation.

Thanks in anticipation.

steveob

2. Advertisement
      TheVoyager is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: WRBRIX
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Unl.Fibre
      Router: TP-Link VR2600
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB *2
      Thanks

Re: IMAP and folders

Any folders that you create or delete in OE in the IMAP section are also created/deleted on Sky's Webmail and deleted ones will therefore not show up on any computer you use.

What you can do is move the messages to a local folder on OE so that you can keep a permanent copy on 1 PC or you can move messages to a different IMAP folder where they will still be available to all PCs and Laptops that you might have.

Whatever you do, DON'T delete the folders until you have moved the messages otherwise you will never get them back (unless they are still in the Trashcan).
      Bob

steveob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01932
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks The Voyager.

Basic idea was to get rid of the folders in Local folders and include them in the sky mail folders in OE. Have started to do this but seems to take a long time as I cannot seem to move a folder directly into Sky email but have to create it and then move all the emails from the Local folder in to the sky mail folder. Did not delete before moving! If anybody knows a quicker way..!!

The other change I would like to make is to the order of my three sky mail accounts as they appear in OE. The first one is the sky master account which my wife and I don't use and which I would like to move to the bottom position, leaving her account at the top and mine in second position. Does anyone know if this is possible?

thanks in advance

TheVoyager is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: WRBRIX
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Unl.Fibre
      Router: TP-Link VR2600
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB *2
      Thanks

I use Thunderbird, so it could be an OE thing that you cannot move the folders from Local to IMAP. The nice thing about IMAP is that you can make sub-folders, good for archiving messages so that your main folders don't get too full.

I believe the accounts will always remain in the order they are created as I also cannot reorder them to my desire unless someone else knows different.
      </div>
      Bob