Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Using your existing pop3 account to send email - 1 Solution Here :)

This is a discussion on Using your existing pop3 account to send email - 1 Solution Here :) within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Guys, Firstly I just want to say that I am honestly in no way affiliated with these people before i ...

darrenlewis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using your existing pop3 account to send email - 1 Solution Here :)

Guys,

Firstly I just want to say that I am honestly in no way affiliated with these people before i say anythign else. Just like you im someone who has a sky broadband account and trying to use my my existing pop3 account (as i own my own domain) but sadly sky have now blocked people using there SMTP server, soemthing to do with Googlemail blocking them?

Anyway, I spent 8 hours in total onto customer support and go NOWHERE so PLEASE dont even waste your tiem with them they are complete and utter muppets who havent got the 1st clue about customer service.

Now, i know that this site very kindly offers forum members a free SMTP server and that is fantastic of them, but i just wanted to let peopel know that i also found another solution (i hope admin wont mind me telling you this?)

Anyway, its called "Podcast Server" and its basically a really simple and easy to use program that you install on your PC and it basically turns your PC into an SMTP server, so in other words you have no need to go through SKY's SMTP server..............which means obviously, that you can use any pop3 account etc and send to anyone else and it doesnt add things on to yoru email address either like sky very kindly offered me as a solution.

Anyway, its totally free and it worked for me on another machine i have upstairs. I currently use the free sky smtp offered by this site on this actual machine, but trust me 'postcast server' genuinly works and its fantastic.

PostCast Server Free Edition - Reviews and free PostCast Server Free Edition downloads at Download.com

as i said, i dont want to russle anyones feathers on this site and i hope admin wont mind me telling you about an alternative solution to there free SMTP but i thought people should know about this.

Thanks
      Darren

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Using your existing pop3 account to send email - 1 Solution Here :)

No worries with us, anything that helps people is fine.

Moved to Email forum as more appropriate.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

if you own your own domain surely you have rights to the hosts smtp server?

would make more sense...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Cardiff2008 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cardiff Empire
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have my own domain but - because my e-mail addresses are 'Standard' mailboxes - I can't use my 'hosts' SMTP.

I found that my e-mails (with my domain addresses) were being hijacked by Google in that they were substituting the Sky e-mail address as a return address so, before I saw the details on this forum, I signed up for AuthSMTP. Only costs me 14 per year which is nothing these days so I have no need of Sky as far as e-mails are concerned.
      The hardest journey you will make is meeting people half way!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      if you own your own domain surely you have rights to the hosts smtp server?

would make more sense...
      I own my own domain but i use web forwarding so the actual HTML pages are stored on another server. YES i have the right to use there SMTP server but the point is that SKY block you from USING that smtp address, so its not an issue with my host its an issue with sky preventing me from using it.

If i knew how to cancel my 12 month contract and be able to move somewhere else i would, but im fed up of dealing with asian people (no im not racist) that cant speak a word of english and therefore cant help me!

I DETEST sky, i really do. They are a joke !

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darrenlewis View Post
      I own my own domain but i use web forwarding so the actual HTML pages are stored on another server. YES i have the right to use there SMTP server but the point is that SKY block you from USING that smtp address, so its not an issue with my host its an issue with sky preventing me from using it.
      Sky do not block outgoing SMTP connections. I can't understand why you would think they do.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well if they dont block outgoign SMTP connections then why is this site offering free SMTP servers for sky customers who are unable to use there existing 3rd party smtp's then?

Even sky have told me that they "do not offer this service anymore" and that "googlemail had withdrawn there service due to spamming issues" and that the only way i could actually send email was to "use your sky broadband email address"

So, can you please explain what you mean when you say they dont block them? Becuase there are posts all over the internet and even this forum about people being unable to send email using outlook/express with there own domains and smtp accounts.

look forward to your reply.

P.S I have had my pop3 account for years and years and despite moving ISP's ive always been able to receive and send emaisl using the settings i have in outlook which are NOT sky's smtp address (my issue was with sending email obvioulsy). I then swapped to sky and was UNABLE to send emails so i spent a total of 8 hours over 4 days to tech support at sky who were unable to help me and told me my only option was to totally do away with my existing account (my OWN domain) and use my sky email account, i.e user@sky.com. I even went through to 3 supervisors and all of them told me that sky had now withdrawn the ability to use existing pop3 accounts and send through there SMTP server. so how can all these people be wrong?

p.p.s since signing up to this forum and applying for an smtp account I can now send emails now problems!

cheers

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

the old isp blocks them. ie if you use orange stmp server you havew to be connected thru orange. it is orange thst blocks it not sky.

the sky smtp server works fine, but has some sky branding attached even if you have your own domain email address (in order to get advertising of sky to help with the low BB prices).

You pays your money and makes your choice.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do you work for sky or something?

ok lets put it another way.

I am now with sky yeh. Prior to that i have been with pipex, orange and BT over the last 7 years. However, the 1st isp i had was BT and since beign with BT over 6 years ago I have had my outgoing smtp set as mail.btopenworld.com and thats always worked with numerous ISP's APART FROM SKY ! Now dont tell me its coincidence!

you mention branding? And taking my choice? And you also say "skys smtp server works fine"

My choice was to swap over to sky and when i did so the first thing i asked was "can i use my existing pop3 accoutn and will you be able to give me the settings to do so, including smtp" to which they replied "yes of course". So, i then sign a contract and its not the case at all.

And why the hell would i want to add a ".sky.com" onto the end of my professional looking email address?

I cant honestly belive that your on here defending the fact that sky arent allowing people to use there own domains! YES skys smtp server might well indeed work fine IF YOU WANT TO USE YOUR SKY EMAIL ADDRESS OR HAVE THERE PATHETIC BRANDING ALL OVER YOUR EXISTING EMAIL ADDRESS!!!

Am i missing something here? or is it you whos missign the point and doesnt understand what im actually saying?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darrenlewis View Post
      Well if they dont block outgoign SMTP connections then why is this site offering free SMTP servers for sky customers who are unable to use there existing 3rd party smtp's then?
      The fact that this forum offers an SMTP service demonstrates that Sky do not block outgoing SMTP connections.

All SMTP servers have to protect themselves from being exploited by spammers. Most ISPs provide an SMTP service which only accepts incoming connections if the email is addressed to one of their customers, or if the email is being sent from one of the ISP's own IP addresses.

But Sky have decided not to use their own email servers and have instead contracted out its email services to Google. In some way this is a good thing. Google have vast computing resources and are well placed to provide this kind of service. But there are disadvantages as well. Firstly, it means that Sky customers have to use authenticated SMTP, which introduces a level of complexity into configuring email programs like Outlook Express, Thunderbird and Window Mail. The other issue is that the "from" address in each email is rewritten to match the email address which was used as the username in the authentication process. For people who use their Sky email address, that's not a problem, but this is obviously a problem for people who have their own domain name and who to use a "from" address with uses that domain name.

That said, it still only amounts to an annoyance for people who had previously been able to send emails from their own domain names. It doesn't mean that Sky is blocking SMTP connections.

There also seems to be some confusion about what you think it means to own (or more correctly, register) your own domain name. Being the registrant of a domain name permits you to specify what DNS data is associated with that domain name, but it doesn't give you any computing facility. And to handle email, you need a computer to act as email server.

Of course, many domain name companies offer email services which you can use to fulfil that role. For example, if you register the domain name "fred.com" with GoDaddy, they also give you an email account on their server, so that you can set the "MX" record for that domain to point to the GoDaddy email server. Typically, most people only use such a facility to receive their email, and continue to use their ISP's email facilities to send their email, and it's only that last facility which isn't available with Sky.

The chances are that the company with which you registered your domain name will offer access to an email server which will handle both incoming email AND outgoing email. Or alternatively, you could use a third-party SMTP service, such as the one which SkyUser offers.

But like I said, nothing in the way that Sky's "contracted-out" email service operates that gives any indication that Sky block SMTP connections. And if you really knew what you were talking about, you'd actually realise that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast