Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Getting nowhere . . .

This is a discussion on Getting nowhere . . . within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey folks, I'm a new user on here and I would really appreciate some help. I am trying to set ...

McVinnie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0115 940
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Getting nowhere . . .

Hey folks,

I'm a new user on here and I would really appreciate some help.

I am trying to set up my sky.com email through Apple Mail. I am using version 3.2.

My user name and password work absolutely fine with My Sky on Sky.com and I can access my emails there but when I try to use the same details to set up an account in Apple Mail, it says that connection to the pop server pop.tools.sky.com failed due to my user name or password being incorrect and the same thing happens with the smtp server.

I have had a look at the set up guide on here and there seem to be some things on there that I can't do like changing the server port to 587. This option is simply not available to me.

Does anyone have any idea because I'm at my wit's end and, as stated in various posts on here, Sky are about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard when it comes to helping with these things.

Thanks for reading,

Ross

2. Advertisement
      Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Getting nowhere . . .

Hi McVinnie - I do not use Sky.com email but it is based on Google Mail's platform and so there will be many similarities to using vanilla Google Mail with the Mail.app. I have my Mac set up to use Google mail which also wants TCP Port numbers changed from defaults so maybe I can help. The instructions are slightly different depending upon which version of OS X you are running.

OS X 10.4 Tiger
      Go into Preferences, then Accounts. There you can set the Incoming and Outgoing mail server TCP Port numbers.

Outgoing server TCP port is changed by pressing the "Server Settings" button of the Account Information tab. For smtp.googlemail.com it is usually port 25 (but make sure you follow the Sky values as they may be different to vanilla Googlemail). Make sure you have ticked "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)". Authentication should be set to "Password" and the User Name and Password for the SMTP server should be the same as you use for the Incoming POP server.

Incoming server TCP Port is changed on the Advanced tab, again for vanilla Googlemail the port is 995 and "Use SSL" should be ticked. Authentication should be set to "Password"

OS X 10.5 Leopard
      Go to Preferences, then Accounts, select the account you want to change.

Outgoing server TCP port is changed by clicking on the pull-down menu alongside "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP). Select and click on "Edit Server List". A new panel appears, select the Server Name you want to change and click on the Advanced tab, here you can set the "Server Port" to 587. Also tick the "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)" checkbox.

Incoming server TCP port is changed from the Accounts panel by clicking on the Advanced tab. There you can set the Port to (in my case) 995, again ensure that you tick the "Use SSL" box.

In defence of Sky - they like almost all other ISPs have little-to-no support of things Apple Mac. That situation may change in the future for all ISPs as the Mac becomes more popular. But for now ISPs will only offer support, such as it is, on Windows XP and Vista. It is difficult for any ISP to set up multi-skilled support so what they do is settle for the largest common denominator. Today that is Micro$oft Windows.

I am a Mac convert and it has to be said that life with the Mac is one of increased self-reliance. The most essential piece of advice that I can offer to any convert is to "not think in Windows". Like learning a new language, you have to start thinking in OS X - and that is subtly different, even between Tiger and Leopard.

I hope this helps. If you still have problems do come back.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts