Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Anyone got IMAP to work with Sky?

This is a discussion on Anyone got IMAP to work with Sky? within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; POP is the first option when you set up your account on the webmail page. IMAP is a waste of ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Anyone got IMAP to work with Sky?

POP is the first option when you set up your account on the webmail page. IMAP is a waste of time unless you want to download your mail to more than one device.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      eloceo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sorry mistyped into wrong forum
      Last edited by eloceo; 09-09-11 at 05:08 PM. Reason: wrong forum

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      POP is the first option when you set up your account on the webmail page. IMAP is a waste of time unless you want to download your mail to more than one device.
      Which I would argue the vast majority of users want access to their mail from a host of devices these days. POP is now seen very much as outdated - IMAP is the app of choice.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Didn't I say unless you want to download your mail to more than one device.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

SKYMailer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Totton
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk Essentials
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Resolved! SKY iMAP & Windows Live Mail

Hi Posters. I'm new to this forum and thread, so I hope you'll forgive the intrusion but hopefully the following might be useful to you and or others out there -

I thought I'd have a go at using the iMAP server for my SKY Email, having previously been using the POP server successfully in Windows Live Mail 2011. Here's my story:-

So, I deleted my POP Email account in Windows Live Mail and created a new account with iMAP as my incoming server type. I setup everything as specified on the SKY site for Email client configuration and hey-presto, it didn't work! The error message said it didn't recognise my credentials. Tried a few other things and still no joy.

Now, I do have a GMail account which also has an iMAP server so I thought lets try setting-up an iMAP Email account in Windows Live Mail for that. Within a couple of minutes it was up and working perfectly. So I knew that the problem wasn't Windows Live Mail.

Eventually, I started trawling around the web for possible solutions and stumbled across a forum thread where someone mentioned going to this site - http://www.sky.com/unlock to unlock their Email account. So I thought why not, I went there, put in my SKY user name and current password and the annoying Captcha character sequence, clicked on 'unlock' only to be told that the wrong password had been entered for the user name. I thought, that's weird, because the last time I changed my password was at least a couple of months ago.

Anyway, after a couple more attempts with the same password and user name I thought I'd try my previous password and 'voila' it accepted it. Apparently, this indicates some mismatch between the SKY user accounts and SKY Email (actually hosted by Gmail).

So, I thought, why not go back, erase the iMAP mail account I'd just setup in Windows Live Mail, and re-create the original POP mail account as I had it before, and see if it still works with my current password. I did this and it didn't work, failing on incorrect password. Tried my old password and this didn't work either (nickers!).

I went back to the forum where I'd found the link 'http://www.sky.com/unlock' and read further that, the poster had had to ring SKY support to synchronise SKY user and SKY Email account passwords.

So I called SKY broadband support and spoke to a support person who informed me that the system they were looking at, showed that the passwords between SKY user and SKY Email accounts were synchronised. While I was on the phone I deleted the POP mail account I'd created in Windows Live Mail and recreated the iMAP account as I had done earlier and it still didn't work at that point.

Still on the phone, I went to the 'http://www.sky.com/unlock' in an attempt to prove to the support person that my passwords still seemed not to be synchronised. Oh dear, suddenly my old password didn't work and my current one did. I then went back and re-tested my newly created iMAP mail account and there it was working!

Now one of two things must have happened. Either the use of the 'http://www.sky.com/unlock' web site had triggered a synchronisation of the SKY user and SKY Email passwords or, the support person triggered a re-synchronisation. Either way the iMAP mail account now works fine.

So, to summarise, if you're having problems in setting-up a iMAP Email account in Windows Live Mail for SKY Email try these steps:

1. There are only two dialogue screens to setup to create a new Email account in Windows Live Mail 2011 and they should be configured as shown in the attachments.

Obviously 'Someone needs replacing with your own SKY ID in these screen shots and, you need to enter your own password. Other than that if everything else is O.K. it should work straight away.

2. Go to 'http://www.sky.com/unlock' and check that the SKY user name and password your trying to use actually work. If they don't then don't waste any more time contact SKY support.

3. If you haven't already, get yourself a GMail account setup for iMAP and then configure a corresponding iMAP account in Windows Live Mail and see if this works O.K.

All this took me quite a while to sort-out for myself so I hope someone else will find it useful.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone got IMAP to work with Sky?-screen-1.jpg   Anyone got IMAP to work with Sky?-screen-2.jpg  

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SKYMailer For This Useful Post:

jackmcminigal (20-12-11)

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

IMAP works but is intermittent, all my email ask for the correct password every day but they all seem to work so I press cancel, I have reset them all twice via Sky and the Yahoo account page but still the error occurs. Yahoo email is basically awful..so am looking to move to Gmail..I suggest everyone else do the same.

Russ64 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pimlico
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

This is quite strange - on my iPhone using iOS native email app, IMAP works perfectly but on my Windows PC using Thunderbird email app, it will not work at all - I have to use POP which does work but is very slow to update.
      Sky Q 2TB v3, 2x Mini's, Sky Q Hub (ER110 & EE120), Sky Superfast FTTC 76/18
      Panasonic TX-65GZ950, Lyngdorf TDAi 2170, Marantz SR7013, Oppo 203, Dali Oberon 5.1.2, BK P12-300SB-PR
      Sony 32W705,
      Sony HT-G700, Asustor AS5002T 4TB NAS, Apple TV 4K

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567