Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Anyone got IMAP to work with Sky?

This is a discussion on Anyone got IMAP to work with Sky? within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have you logged into sky.com, gone into sky email and tools and then clicked the settings link that sits at ...

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Anyone got IMAP to work with Sky?

Have you logged into sky.com, gone into sky email and tools and then clicked the settings link that sits at the top of the inbox page? If not then you have not enabled POP on the server itself so you cannot then log in via software to pick up your email. A lot of customer fail to realise how important the small group of steps are before the bit where you set up your third party software. One other error is not using the full sky email address as the user name when asked. For POP/ IMAP software your user name is the full sky email address that you have been given.

2. Advertisement
      rev_sid_vicious is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01253
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've done all that, saved the changes and then configured the email client. Every time I try to send and receive, I get prompted for the password, I type it in, check the add to keychain box and okay it. Then it just returns to that screen, with the error message, .....@sky.com not recognising user name/password... that's the frustrating part.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

have you tried an unlock/captcha?

ldoodle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      have you tried an unlock/captcha?
      Just to clarify, you need to goto the sky.com/unlock, and not the google one.
      Last edited by ldoodle; 17-06-08 at 03:09 PM.

ronh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01884
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes finally -
      I'm no dumbo when it comes to setting up email clients and adding accounts. Initially I followed Skys instructions on the web - then discovered they were wrong. Found out they use Googlemail as the provider and checked their instructions - followed those to the letter but using Sky tools instead of Google ones. Still no joy.

Rang Sky first guy I spoke to was useless just told me I had to use Webmail - no way. I threatened to cancel my account if what he said was correct.
      decided to try again the next day and got a very helpful guy who went through the instructions with me (twice) but all was as I had done, he then said that it looked like something had locked up at their end did some adjustments and told me to try again when all worked well.

I have just found out my next door neighbour is having the same hassle with the support guys - I of course told him my experience and he is currently waiting for resolution.
      Seems like some guys at Sky support are better than others!!!

Ron

suelee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Thanks

Thanks everyone. I am new to sky and this site. Spent ages trying to set up IMAP in Outlook 2007 & vista, tried ringing the Sky helpline staff all to no availe. But one look at this website and the info re TLS should be SSL and all is well with the world again. I will know to come here much sooner in future!

poor1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Had all this with my daughter's Outlook Express the other day. The unlock would not work. Resolved by simply using the "forgotten user name and forgotten password".

umster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: London
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you so much for this useful info...god dam sky!!!!

The_Hedge_13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01372
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hi All, I have read this all in hope that I will be able to resolve my issue with my new sky email. I went from a POP account with Tiscali over to Sky with the promise of a better connection speed which is what I got shame my email service isnt so reliable as unless I am being really dumb I just cant get my email to work properly for longer than a few weeks on the IMAP settings? I am receiving all emails fine its the sending thats causing all the grief.

Okay so to explain I have been using the settings below since I first openend my sky account about 1 month ago and all seemed fine (not changed anything) until about a week ago where I cant send any emails from outlook?

System - i am using Outlook 2007 on Vista SP1 and I have McAfee Security Centre and latest version of Registry Mechanic (just thought Id mention incase its one of these thats interfering with the send protocol???)

So I have an IMAP account setup exactly as other state, to ensure its correct :
      Incoming - imap.tool.sky.com
      Outgoing - smtp.tool.sky.com
      User Name - john_doe@sky.com
      Password - XXXXXX (excatly as per login to skys direct email access)
      Ticked remember password box
      More settings - outgoing server - ticked my outgoing (SMTP) requires authentication / use same settings as my incoming mail server
      Connection - connect using LAN
      Advanced Settings - IMAP incoming 993 SSL
      SMTP outgoing 587 TLS (I hear people saying port 465 also works but I have used 587 and IT WAS working until last week ????)

When I test email settings I get one of 2 messages which basically say the same thing :
      Log onto incoming mail server IMAP (completed)
      Send test email message (failed)
      1) Sent test email message ; cannot find email server verify the server information in your account properties
      2) Same as above but also adds : sending reported error (0x800CCC0D) cannot find email server

I have tried everything to no avail I am reluctant to contact sky just yet after all your wasted time and frustration which I am sure will be exactly the same for me, please can anyone advise what is going wrong. I may have inadvertantly changed something by using Registry Mechanic but if I can receive fine why cant I send???

Regards and hoping there is a genuis out there who can help before I go insane......

Steve

carl29 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Could someone please help me with permanently deleting emails using outlook express with IMAP. It doesn't seem as straight forward as deleting emails with POP3 in outlook.

Once emails are deleted they don't go to deleted items and you don't have the option to permanently delete.

I read that you have to purge emails with IMAP in the edit menu ? I have tried this but it doesn't work unless i drag them into the trash folder then they disappear.

Is there an easier way of doing this ?

Also do the emails stay on your sky account as there doesn't seem to be an option for them to be deleted like with POP3 once they have been opened with outlook.

I changed to IMAP from POP3 because the same mail was being sent 2 or 3 times. Has this happened to anyone else ?

Hope you can help folks

Thanks

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast