Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Non Cost Suggestions for this scenario please?

This is a discussion on Non Cost Suggestions for this scenario please? within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; 'Ello all. I've lurked around here since I joined Sky 6 months back, but belong to so many forum systems ...

quantum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01227
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Non Cost Suggestions for this scenario please?

'Ello all. I've lurked around here since I joined Sky 6 months back, but belong to so many forum systems I avoided registering until I had a problem

So here I am...

I currently own two top level domain names. A friend runs a Unix box for an ISP and kindly provided me with webspace and POP3 e-mail hosting for my inbound mail.

I have at home, Small Business Server 2003 (Exchange 2003) which is configured to receive my inbound mail using the POP3 connector. All is fine and dandy there.

For outgoing mail, I have until recently had the SMTP connector configured to a smarthost - smtp.sky.com. About 2 weeks ago, everything ground to a halt with outgoing mail. I was in a rush to get mail sent out, so flipped over to "send using DNS" (which tells my server to connect directly to the destination SMTP server to deliver mail) and promptly forgot about it.

Until today, where I attempted to send mail from my home PC to a hotmail account and got this:

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
      <-----.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 DY-001 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. We generally do not accept email from dynamic IP's as they are not typically used to deliver unauthenticated SMTP e-mail to an Internet mail server. The Spamhaus Project maintains lists of dynamic and residential IP addresses. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins, please visit MSN Postmaster for email delivery information and support>

So I visited spamhaus.org and sure enough, my Sky Dynamically assigned IP address is smack bang in their "Dynamic IP Address" list that more and more companies are starting to block for spam protection.

So now I can no longer use DNS sensitive lookups.

I can no longer forward to smtp.sky.com

I cannot use smtp.tools.sky.com (as exchange server uses TLS encryption (a server to server certificate protocol) and does not support SSL (client to server)).

I've spent this afternoon reading all the stickies and brushing up but am somewhat at a loss. I can continue to use DNS routing for e-mail delivery to most domains, but a few (very large ones, yahoo, gmail, msn, hotmail etc) will reject my e-mails as they have arrived from a dynamically assigned IP address.

The simplest solution would be to try and get a static IP from Sky then tell Spamhaus that I am the IP owner, but from what I hear, that's harder that getting a Sky tech support rep with more than 2 GCSE's on the phone (ie. Impossible).

I'd be grateful for any tips/pointers...

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Non Cost Suggestions for this scenario please?

I just replied to your contact us page, we will see if possible or not.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
      that's harder that getting a Sky tech support rep with more than 2 GCSE's on the phone
      i take GREAT offence to that seeing as i have a degree...

your best bet is to sign up to the SkyUser SMTP or actually pay for a service...OR setup a googlemail account which DOES use TLS (well, Outlook 2007 auto-set it to this so i assume it works!!)...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unless I'm mistaken, even the gmail TLS service strips out the reply to and puts the "on behalf of" crap in.

And why should I have to pay for a service? An outgoing SMTP server is provided by every other ISP out there. I expressely checked the "do not pass my information to third parties" box on my sky application so exactly how was my Sky mail account legally moved to google?

And by the way, are you implying you work on Tier 1 support? I didn't mean to cause offence, but I have yet to come across someone at Sky who picked up the telephone and was able to tell me what DNS or SMTP actually stood for...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

lol - no not tier 1...CST...

I know what you're saying about SMTP servers etc, but Sky's email is run by Google and so they control it...best bet is to use the SkyUser SMTP server as its free and see if Sky change their minds...unlikely though as a LOT of time/money was spent moving it over as the VAST majority of customers had nothing but grief with the old system...

AND, Sky/Google mail is a web based service - using a client in this case is extra and other than setting it up Sky don't offer ANY support for third party email address. Sky was only ever aimed at home users who don't need servers/etc running - but everyone has moved as it's cheap...

you get what you pay for at the end of the day...

and ive not checked to see if the gmail TLS has the on behalf thing - ill give it a go now...

EDIT: yes, the 'on behalf' thing is there too...

the reason I say why not pay is that I have my own domain and also pay for mail server access - only costs me 10 a year and this isn't exactly bank breaking...
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 12-03-08 at 09:44 PM.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi

We can set you up an SMTP account as per our criteria. This may or not work, but I would point out as ours is a free service, we would certainly not be prepared to make any security or config changes.

I hope you understand this decision. Feel free to apply for one here:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/skyus...p-account.html
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Sky TV:
      Thanks

IAmNotTheEnemy, what service are you using for the 10/year? What are the mail limitations?

Newsreader what kind of authentication is being used on the SkyUser service or is it cleartext?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quantum - afaik TLS encryption is enabled. The only real test would be to try? Only takes us a few minutes to setup an account for you, and would be free for you if it worked.

Bearing in mind we couldn't set it up til after 6.30pm workdays.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quantum - I use a 9.99/year email service that gives me a 20 email address limit on my domain. You may need to use a slightly higher price band depending upon the volume of emails you use. I'm with Easily.co.uk - Search domain names, domain name registration, email & web hosting servers and they haven't caused me any problems in the past 3 years. Have a look at their website.