Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Broadband - More email problems - Incoming Not Outgoing

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband - More email problems - Incoming Not Outgoing within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I can see many threads on here from people not been able to send emails with Sky's new settings ...

unamodo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Broadband - More email problems - Incoming Not Outgoing

Hi, I can see many threads on here from people not been able to send emails with Sky's new settings but I cannot recieve them using my own @mydomain.com address.

My domain name and consequently my email address is through a company called 1and1.co.uk. My incoming server is pop.1and1.co.uk and my outgoing is auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk, the ports used are 110 for incomming and 25 for outgoing.

I can send messages no problem but when trying to recieve i get this message:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.1and1.co.uk', Server: 'pop.1and1.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Are sky blocking access to my incomming port?? If so is this leagal??

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband - More email problems - Incoming Not Outgoing

No they are not blocking any ports. I suspect it may be your firewall or antivirus that is blocking your email. Try turning them off temporarily as a test.
      Last edited by moleman; 11-02-08 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Spelling/Grammer

Lawrence is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yip my incoming just got blocked as well ...

It may be the server has crashed as people are trying to sort out Skys mess ?? I'll have another look at their website.. surely they haven't blocked incoming as well, that's taking complete liberties...

The only information I can find is telling you to set your incoming pop to all go to your sky email account and download it from there.. I'll leave it until the morning and see if it's just an outrage on the server..

But if the case is we have to now only go through Google by force the sooner I can get away from these barbarians the better..
      Last edited by Lawrence; 12-02-08 at 02:33 AM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If you are using 1&1 servers then what sky has done will not affect you as you are using 1&1 smtp and pop servers. Have you checked that there isn't an issue on the 1&1 end of things?
      I have a domain and email service and download all emails direct to outlook, I do not let it anywhere near the sky servers at all so it is not a situation where email is being blocked unless it is being moved via skys email servers.

benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      If you are using 1&1 servers then what sky has done will not affect you as you are using 1&1 smtp and pop servers. Have you checked that there isn't an issue on the 1&1 end of things?
      I have a domain and email service and download all emails direct to outlook, I do not let it anywhere near the sky servers at all so it is not a situation where email is being blocked unless it is being moved via skys email servers.
      I'm not saying they are blocking them, but if they wanted too they could, and they might. For instance Orange broadband block all traffic on port 25 (SMTP standard/default) unless it is directed at orange smtp servers (or at least it did this time last year). As Sky no longer offer an smtp service on port 25, and they didn't bother to tell any of their customers, there must be a lot of mail repeatedly trying to get out that is expecting the server to be there. maybe it has crumbled something or maybe they've just cut the pipes and are all sitting around playing cards laughing maniacaly. It wouldn't surprise me.

hooperman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I have found plenty of entries in these forums expressing frustration at not being able to send or receive email on their own domain using Sky broadband but no satisfactory answer.
      It is clear that Sky are blocking outgoing smtp traffic on port 25 and incoming pop3 traffic on port 110. There are ways around the outgoing but I have not yet been able to find a way around the incoming block. Since normal mail hosts only provide for pop3 connection on port 110, it is not an option to use Sky's preferred port of 995, this just gives the error: "The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.yourdomain.org.uk', Server: 'mail.yourdomain.org.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E."
      Is there an answer to this problem, other than dumping Sky?

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

For outgoing smtp you could apply for the free one provided by the chaps from here:

SkyUser Mail / SMTP

For incoming they don't block it otherwise I wouldn't be able to get my non sky email.

Exchange:
      Thanks

As I said, I know there are ways around the outgoing mail issue. Perhaps you could explain how you get your incoming email, because the standard port for this purpose '110' is most certainly blocked. Presumably that's why Sky insist you use port 995. Port 995 being non-standard, is understandably not recognised as a pop3 port by my own, or it would appear, most other hosting providers.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Nope, Google uses SSL which then requires the stated port be in use, nothing to do with Sky, Sky do not block the port. I have used 3rd party domain hosting in the past with Sky and have had no issues whatsoever receiving and sending emails to/ from it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Nope, Google uses SSL which then requires the stated port be in use, nothing to do with Sky, Sky do not block the port. I have used 3rd party domain hosting in the past with Sky and have had no issues whatsoever receiving and sending emails to/ from it.
      Clearly I am not alone in this difficulty with receiving POP3 mail from my own domain. unamodo and Lawrence both appear to have had the same problem. In their cases with 1and1, in my case I use Fasthosts for hosting. I do not get this problem with BT, PlusNet, Metronet, Fasthosts, or Virgin. Only with Sky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast