Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008

This is a discussion on Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008 within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sky have now migrated all their Email handling to Google, (Skoogle Mail) this week seeing the end of the SMTP ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008

Sky have now migrated all their Email handling to Google, (Skoogle Mail) this week seeing the end of the SMTP provided Sky.

As a result of this those of you who use non-Sky email address's are having problems sending emails in that format. ie youremailaddress@yourdomain.com

To get around this problem, you can do any of the following - try 7) or 8) or 9) first:

1) Check with your domain hosting company if they allow SMTP sending of and then put those details in your Email Client Settings

2) Obtain your own SMTP service. We are at present trying to negotiate a discount for SkyUser Members with AUTHSMTP - At the moment this service costs 14 per year for 10 email address's - We have now managed to get a discount for this for our members. Please read this post.

3) Try Google Apps

4) Use DYNDNS at a cost of $15 Includes 150 relays/day. MailHop Outbound requires an initial setup fee of $2. See the MailHop Outbound Readme for definition of relays.

5) Free SMTP Server You just run this whenever you need to send outbound emails. Simple and no configuration is required. (Possible problems sending to @sky.com address's)

6) MailEnable This program which installs an SMTP service on your machine, that way you don't need to run another program whilst sending emails out. (Possible problems sending to @sky.com address's)

7) Try this method: Log into sky email Sky.com - Email & Tools>Not Logged in select "email", select "mail settings", then "accounts", then next to "send email as" select "add (another) email address" courtesy of TBB

8) Go to My Sky | Email & Tools | Email |Mail Settings | Accounts | Add email address from this thread

9) Use the SkyUser SMTP Service, more details can be found here

We will continue to update this thread as we can.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 14-02-08 at 06:08 PM.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. Advertisement
      Johnny7 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: High Wycombe (SMHY)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Whats going on with Sky Email - January 2008

The very fact this thread, and all the info about alternative methods of sending email, is necessary, is, IMHO, an indictment of Sky Broadband.

They are annoying a lot of people, (how many more don't even know about this forum), and making life unnecessarily difficult.

The old way, pop.sky.com to receive and smtp.sky.com to send, (no need to specify port, register and authenticate different email addys, change server names, login with email and password, etc...), was sooo much better!

C'mon Sky, if anyone is listening, give us the choice of sticking with the old boring way or switching to the new exiciting way "enhanced by Google"

Hello, anyone listening?
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 07-02-08 at 09:07 PM. Reason: sorry had to change the adjective used. :(
      John in High Wycombe

kpax88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Stop moaning about an email service... They provide you a web based email... and i bet it works!!

Stanley_Cooper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008

NewsreadeR,

There is another way of getting around this, and ive already stated this in another thread is to use your own smtp software and use your own computer as an smtp server. That way what ever mail client you use, all you need to change the smtp server to your local ip address of your computer which will be 127.0.0.1.

So far ive found two programs which does this job:-

Free SMTP Server

You just run this whenever you need to send outbound emails. Simple and no configuration is required.

Or this program which installs an smtp service on your machine, that way you don't need to run another program whilst sending emails out:-

MailEnable - high performance mail server software

Im using the second piece of software which is simple to setup and forget about.

The benefit of using your computer as an smtp server is you don't have to mess around with your account settings and so you won't have to send an email on byhalf of sky which I don't like the idea of.

This may proove useful to others who are currently experiencing this problem and alot cheaper than paying for the privalege of using another smtp server!

Stan//

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thanks Stan, added your additions to the list.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Added 2 more options to try.

malvernguy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01684
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kpax88 View Post
      Stop moaning about an email service... They provide you a web based email... and i bet it works!!
      That's as maybe but I have a genuine need to send/rec mail using outlook and none of the new settings work.

If you run the googlemail diagnostic tool as suggested by sky it ends up telling you that your email address is wrong!

SKY... this is a mess. Sort it out.

boardsilly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Firstly, thank goodness for this forum because Sky Customer support has been poor. They only offered one of the 8 options offered here (Option 1).

Of the eight options, I have tried...

Option 1: Didn't work. But this didn't surprise me because with every other ISP I have used I have had to use their smtp server and couldn't reach those of my other email providers. Seems Sky are no different.

Option 2: Costs money, so on the backburner.

Option 3: Signed up for Google Apps but they now say they can take 48 hours to verify my ownership of my domain. ANd even when they do I am not sure how they are going to help me...?

Option 4: Costs money, so on the backburner.

Options 5 and 6: Might try these next because...

Options 7 and 8 (seem to be the same thing): registering my non-sky email address has made no difference to the response of the sky smtp server (ie to reject my email address).

If anyone can advise why option 7 didn't work or offer any other suggestions, I know I (and others) would appreciate it.

Cheers.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hopefully we will have a discount for option 2) asap for our members, just going through the mechanics of the deal now.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

adding a new address doesnt work - still says on behalf of in outlook...

from sky/google help...

1. Log in to your Sky Email account.
      2. Click Mail Settings along the top of any page and then select the Accounts tab.
      3. Click Add another email address in the Send mail as section.
      4. Enter your full name in the Name field and the email address you'd like to send messages from in the Email address field.

Replies are delivered to the From: address rather than your Sky Email address.

Just click Specify a different reply-to address for replies to be delivered to another account.

5. Click Next Step >> and then click Send Verification to complete the process.

Sky Email will send a verification message to your other email address to confirm that you'd like to add it to your Sky Email account.
      Once this is received, you will need to click the link in that message or enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Sky Email account, to complete the process.

Once you've verified that you'd like to add the address to your account, you can start sending messages using your custom 'From:' address.

Your Sky Email address will still be included in your email headers in the sender field, to help prevent your mail from being marked as spam.

Most email clients do not display the sender field, though some versions of Microsoft Outlook may display "From yourusername@sky.com on behalf of customaddress@mydomain.com".

If you have a number of different email addresses, enter all of them in your Sky Email account and then select a different address to send each of your messages from, depending on what you're sending.

You can also choose to send all replies from the email address to which a message was sent.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast