Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008

This is a discussion on Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008 within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Lawrence I believe that if you set your private email address as your default in your sky ...

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
      I believe that if you set your private email address as your default in your sky account it will show that as your return address, but also continues to show "on behalf of" your@sky.com either way you are still forced to use the sky email account. forced in to trading your email addresses and details with google, forced to use a service you don't want, need or require.

And you can only set one default, if you have more than one personal email tough !!!
      Actually you can set up as many other accounts as you want, and as long as the "from" address you present to the SMTP server matches one of them it will be used on the outgoing email. I think the "default" is just the one that will be used by webmail.

All in all the google mail system is quite flexible when you get used to it, the usefull thing is that you can use it when connected via an ISP other than sky (such as when using a laptop when away from home) which you couldn't with the old SMTP server.

2. Advertisement
      Lawrence is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

In my opinion Sky have contravened their T&C's by giving our information and details to an outside company without our permission, if you check their TOS they give themselves the right to do whatever they want within their company and no mention of handing details over to an outsourced outside company..

And no !! no other companies offer this restriction, no other company rips out your return path and replaces it with someone elses email address that is illegal also.

Ofcom will listen but you have to give it to them in a language they understand..

But definately making them pay through the nose may be the quickest way for them to find a solution and I personally will not stay with this kind of underhanded policy making.. Already asked for my MAC number and looking else where.. O2 looks decent but not decided on one yet..

unamodo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Guys, I have a sky broadband package but run several different private websites, each with their own @yourdomain.com email address. I have my own outgoing server so have no problems sending emails. However I cannot recieve emails. The 2 ports my mail client (1and1) allow for incomming are 110 and 143. However when trying either I get a message saying :

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.1and1.co.uk', Server: 'pop.1and1.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Are sky broadband blocking use of these ports or is it possible I just have a router setting wrong somewhere?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

pozleeh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Folks.
      I have used compuserve since 1995, even with Sky, until last week.
      I can still send <smtp.tools.sky.com> but no longer recieve, tried just about everything suggested on this site (which is light years ahead of Sky technical nohelp)
      If anyone has managed to recieve mail since the new "improved" google tools, from compuserve i will be forever in your debt.
      <POP.compuserve.com> was the last incoming Email server that worked on the 3rd Feb
      poz

myaddr@compuserve.com

Johnny7 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: High Wycombe (SMHY)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unamodo View Post
      The 2 ports my mail client (1and1) allow for incomming are 110 and 143.

Are sky broadband blocking use of these ports or is it possible I just have a router setting wrong somewhere?
      I use both pop.clara.net and mail.virgin.net to receive on ports 110 without problem.

john
      John in High Wycombe

Lawrence is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well don't know if this is co-incidence or what but just tried 4 of my incoming pop3 and all seem to be blocked ? they were working fine earlier today ...

Surely Sky have not stopped pop3 as well ... my god !!!!

Just tried my hotmail account on OE and that is working fine on hotmail servers so it looks like a sky server problem to me.. 'No Socket Error"
      Last edited by Lawrence; 12-02-08 at 02:10 AM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky are not blocking other ISP pop services, if you cannot access a pop account please check your settings and that the POP servers are working.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

i honestly reckon its account based in terms of 'can receive but not send'...

i have 4 accounts, all working in outlook 2007, which i set up in 3 minutes so it can't be THAT hard - unless the account itself has become corrupted/lost during the migration...I can't really understand it
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

bob burgess is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have had it with sky. they have basically taken a sytem thta was working and broken it. I had my own email address set up (not some sky.com advertising web address but a real email address) and I had one set up for my wife. Having not recieved any notification from sky that they where changing there email system - the first I nknew was when my email failed. after some considerable time and effort (cost) I eventually got it working again (or so I though) the problem was that whatever email address I used to send email, if someone used the reply button to reply to the email it would always use the sky.com address as the return address. This I could have dealt with, however the situation was the same with my wifes emails. So anyone replying to her emails would find them being sent to my sky.com address.

Itried setting up different email addresses and choosing to send replies from the email address to which a message was sent and all that but I would suggest that only works if you are using the web mail and not if you use outlook or outlook express.

I am now paying for freeola freedom (my domain name is hosted by freeola) only 2 per month for smtp and web access to our indevidual email address.

I will be looking to move my broadband from sky in the future. (and probable my phone and TV as well) mainly because of the lack of service.

If you don't want to advertise Sky by using a sky.com email address. I suggest you look at Freeola or 1&1 and get your own unique domain name.

Culcullain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: newnet
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Luckily I had the option to send through my hosting provider newnet.
      However I did have some problems getting this to work.
      I found that it was necessary to create a new account in outlook rather than amending the details in the existing one. Wasted an awful lot of time fiddling with the old settings. Hope this may be of some help. (I'm using a mac for info)

Must say a thanks to newsreader, paulsky, iamnottheenemy and skyuser in general, don't know how I'd cope with sky without 'em.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast