Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008

This is a discussion on Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008 within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If you are SKY Broadband user and you have trouble sending/receiving e-mails, follow the procedure: • Microsoft Outlook=>Tools=>E-mail Accounts • ...

genius16 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Problem with sending/receiving e-mails SOLVED!!!

If you are SKY Broadband user and you have trouble sending/receiving e-mails, follow the procedure:

• Microsoft Outlook=>Tools=>E-mail Accounts

• Add a new e-mail account (Next)

• POP3 (Next)

• Your Name: AABBCCDD EEFFGGHH
      • E-mail Address: your_sky_username@sky.com

• Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.googlemail.com
      • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.googlemail.com

• Username: your_sky_username@sky.com
      • Password: type_your_sky_password (the same password as you would log in on ‘My Sky’)

• Tick the box Remember password

• Select More Settings

o Select tab Outgoing server

 Tick the box My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
      AND
      select Log on using:
      Username: your_sky_username@sky.com
      Password: type_your_sky_password (the
      same password as you would log in on ‘My Sky’)

Tick the box Remember password

o Select tab Advanced

• Tick the box This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
      Value 995 should be inserted into field Incoming server (POP3)

• Below that, tick the box This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
      Value25 should be inserted into field Outgoing server (SMTP)

Confirm changes with OK, Next, Finish.

2. Advertisement
      Lawrence is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008

The MAC number request and information came directly from SKY unless you are saying they are continuing to lie !!!

That is their procedure and that is normal procedure why would you not rely on it..

Unless you are another Sky employee trying to keep people on board with more scare tactics ?

A MAC number wont change unless you give it to another ISP to change over.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

also a question I asked earlier was whether anyone knew of an ISP that currently does not provide a normal smtp service?
      And to answer your question.. no there isn't one.. anywhere .. it is standard practice.

benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
      The MAC number request and information came directly from SKY unless you are saying they are continuing to lie !!!

That is their procedure and that is normal procedure why would you not rely on it..

Unless you are another Sky employee trying to keep people on board with more scare tactics ?

A MAC number wont change unless you give it to another ISP to change over.
      ... Is this directed at me? You think I'm a secret sky employee? Umm, I'm totally on your side with this one, and am totally appalled at the smtp situation. I'll be ringing ofcom myself today.

My warning re MAC problems and isp's incorrectly cancelling was based on accounts I've read from others, and a wish for you not to get burned trying to complain, and was thinking you might not be aware of it as a possible tactic sometimes used by ISP's to frustrate or (what's that thing where your country expels you to another place and you can't come back, sry too early for full brain function) "dissenters"...

kellmb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Problem with sending/receiving e-mails SOLVED!!! - 10/02/2008

Quote Originally Posted by genius16 View Post
      If you are SKY Broadband user and you have trouble sending/receiving e-mails, follow the procedure:

• Microsoft Outlook=>Tools=>E-mail Accounts

• Add a new e-mail account (Next)

• POP3 (Next)

• Your Name: AABBCCDD EEFFGGHH
      • E-mail Address: your_sky_username@sky.com

• Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.googlemail.com
      • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.googlemail.com

• Username: your_sky_username@sky.com
      • Password: type_your_sky_password (the same password as you would log in on ‘My Sky’)

• Tick the box Remember password

• Select More Settings

o Select tab Outgoing server

oTick the box My outgoing server (SMTP) requires
      authentication
      AND
      select Log on using:
      Username: your_sky_username@sky.com
      Password: type_your_sky_password (the
      same password as you would log in on ‘My Sky’)

Tick the box Remember password

o Select tab Advanced

oTick the box This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
      Value 995 should be inserted into field Incoming server (POP3)

oBelow that,
      tick the box This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
      Value25 should be inserted into field Outgoing server (SMTP)

Confirm changes with OK, Next, Finish.

This works on my computer.

Good luck!
      So does this work? Does it allow you to keep your me@mydomain.com email address and not strip out the name and replace it with sky's, which if it is not illegal should be.

I am absolutly outraged that I have had to come to an unofficial forum to find out why my email stopped sending... it's outragious and pretty much the nail in to coffin for me an sky it has to be said. I'm going to find out about changing today.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Great ! the more dissenters we have the sooner they will listen.. as soon as they see potential money going out the door they'll get the heads up..

Also send in your complaint to ofcom contact@ofcom.org.uk

I believe that if you set your private email address as your default in your sky account it will show that as your return address, but also continues to show "on behalf of" your@sky.com either way you are still forced to use the sky email account. forced in to trading your email addresses and details with google, forced to use a service you don't want, need or require.

And you can only set one default, if you have more than one personal email tough !!!
      Last edited by Lawrence; 11-02-08 at 12:21 PM.

benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Kellmb - like you say, using that method there is no way to stop your domain being stripped from the email. I've just done a test, and both "sender" and "return-path" are replaced. There is no way round this using this method. "reply-to" can be changed to the address you require by tinkering in the account settings online, but that is all.

Contacted ofcom by phone who were little help. There determination was that if i could access "the internet" then that was all an ISP was bound to do, and the decision to remove the SMTP server is merely considered a commercial decision by ofcom, and I could only complain about the service being removed without notice, or if it contravenes T&C's or any contract direct to Sky. Their specification on what "the internet" was seemed to be http traffic only, though when I asked if an ISP were bound to provide dns servers, he stated he didn't know too much technical stuff!

Also apparently BE do not offer an smtp service (its £2 extra per month)

For me I think the way forward for now is to set up an entire gmail account (not through sky) per email account i use. That way i caan give each of my email addresses some sense of its intended origin in the google name I choose.

What a palaver

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well this is just terrible isn't it. So for now, because I have no choice but to keep logging into mail2web.com - Pick Up Your Email whenever I want to send an email!!!!!!!!! or pay for authsmtp, which I think i'll do as although the web option is ok, it doesn't have any of my contact emails.

I will be contacting both ofcom and watchdog and I suggest all of us do the same.

If this isn't sorted out now, and we don't show sky exactly how outraged we are by this invasion of our privacy, then who knows how many other internet service providors will do the same thing to their customers in the future.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by benaline View Post
      Contacted ofcom by phone who were little help. There determination was that if i could access "the internet" then that was all an ISP was bound to do, and the decision to remove the SMTP server is merely considered a commercial decision by ofcom, and I could only complain about the service being removed without notice, or if it contravenes T&C's or any contract direct to Sky. Their specification on what "the internet" was seemed to be http traffic only, though when I asked if an ISP were bound to provide dns servers, he stated he didn't know too much technical stuff!

Well isn't that just typical! i still say watchdog is a good one to contact, and if ofcom are going to ignor the problem (i'll email them anyway). we can only vote with our feet.. something I intend to do.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky offers a service, that service is internet access and the ability to make use of a sky.com email address via the sky email system. This is the service offered and this is the service still available to customers. OFCOM will not get involved and Watchdog won't get anywhere either as Sky has not removed a stated/ promised service.
      If you own a domain and do not have hosting/ email then that is not Skys fault, if you have hosting then you may have the ability to make use of Google apps for email which save you both time and money in the long run as it allows a maasive ammount of inbox space and allows for use of multiple inboxes against the domain.
      If you own a domain and have access/ control of the MX records then again you have the option of using google apps.
      Maybe Sky should have made people aware of the changes being planned but as far as I can see they have done nothing illegal in the change that they have made to their residential broadband service. All they have done is cause a headache to their Tier 1 support staff and a headache for some customers using the email system in a very specific way.
      If the change in email system is a big enough change in your opinion and you feel that you have no choice then maybe the only decision you feel you should make is to leave.
      You may need to argue the t**s with cancellations but if you really want to leave and want Sky to sit up and listen then the only thing you can do is cancel and move elsewhere. A drop in customer numbers is the only thing that most companies take notice of these days but as has been pointed out a few times already, a lot of ISPs have the same restrictions in place on their servers and you may have to shop around a bit to get the same sort of package etc.
      If you do make the jump and leave then good luck and I hope all goes well with your new provider (and I'm not just saying that as at the end of the day all customers are free to pick and choose who they pay to provide them with a service).

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast