Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008

This is a discussion on Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008 within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Alan b I don't think you quite get it.. This is nothing to do with Sky mail as such.. in ...

Lawrence is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008

Alan b

I don't think you quite get it..

This is nothing to do with Sky mail as such..

in order to send out any outgoing email you have to authenticate it with the account holders username and password, that is the person who ordered the broadband..

Let me give you a scenario..

A girl in a family sends her boyfriend an email and the reply he sends because of sky and google ripping out the return path now goes directly to the girls dad as he is the one paying for the broadband connection..

This means that now only one person in a family can use their email..

you can't send return/reply email to another persons email address.. that's outrageous..

And now you are dictating that the domain name I bought for myself, which is just myname.com I shouldn't be allowed to use, I already have a hotmail account, which I use for possible spam heavy enquiries ie: sites I'm not sure of and don't mind getting spam from.. I have a gmail account which I rarely use but sometimes, and I have my own me@myname.com which is perfect and everyone knows that email address and 90% of my emailing goes through that address..

What you are saying that anyone who has a website hobby or their own email or chooses to use anything other than sky mail is now no longer allowed to use it.. that is thousands of customers.. never mind the whole accessing your private emails and sending the reply to someone else thing.. jes!!!
      Last edited by Lawrence; 10-02-08 at 01:26 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

There are solutions to these issues if you take a look around this forum. I have a similar set up to you and I am able to send all my mail via another non sky smtp server.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
      Alan b

in order to send out any outgoing email you have to authenticate it with the account holders username and password, that is the person who ordered the broadband..
      Not true! You get 10 email address with sky BB, so that is 10 authentications on the SMTP servers. Enough for most families I think.

benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      There are solutions to these issues if you take a look around this forum. I have a similar set up to you and I am able to send all my mail via another non sky smtp server.
      Mind if I ask if this a free service? and if so where/what/how etc?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just to comment re Freesmtp local server software solution.

- Eventually got it to work with xp (needed to adjust router settings)
      - Had no joy with Vista
      - Failed to be able to send to many addresses including gmail (managed a yahoo.com
      - address, but was spam filtered,)
      - then ran out of email sends. only 10 emails allowed per day.

Its free so thats good, but thought it might be worth pointing out some its limitations..

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by benaline View Post
      Mind if I ask if this a free service? and if so where/what/how etc?
      I use one from my other domains via Thunderbird as my mail client because no matter how many email accounts you have, Thunderbird only requires one smtp server to send any mail.

Lawrence is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

moleman

I don't want or need a @sky.com email address, neither do thousands of people..

The problems is not with complaining, the problem is with Sky cutting off a service they have ran for the 2 years I've been signed up for and now being the only company that do not offer free SMPT .. and subsequently the people who are prepared to think "hey , that's ok " when it's not..

Yes you can make sky change their policy but it takes people to get up and complain about it ... to Sky directly and to ofcom .. if enough people have the backbone sure they will change..

Oddly now that I put in for my MAC number and asked to cancel my account, how I now have instant access to the top level resolution techys instead of those useless read from the screen support people.. who are now going to phone me ..

If you want something done then ask to cancel.. you don't have to go through with it, ask for your MAC number they send it to you in 5 days and you have 30 days to use it, if you don't nothing changes, except of course you get through to the technical support you should have got through to in the first place..

My point being you can scare them in to action, if you do something about it..

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      I use one from my other domains via Thunderbird as my mail client because no matter how many email accounts you have, Thunderbird only requires one smtp server to send any mail.
      Yeah, i use thunderbird, and am more than aware how it only requires one smtp server to send any mail, erm, thats the thing sky have just stopped and why this whole thread is here! i was more trying to find out if your working smtp service was free, etc (sounds like its part of a paid hosting package though...)

also a question I asked earlier was whether anyone knew of an ISP that currently does not provide a normal smtp service?

anybody?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
      moleman

I don't want or need a @sky.com email address, neither do thousands of people..

The problems is not with complaining, the problem is with Sky cutting off a service they have ran for the 2 years I've been signed up for and now being the only company that do not offer free SMPT .. and subsequently the people who are prepared to think "hey , that's ok " when it's not..

Yes you can make sky change their policy but it takes people to get up and complain about it ... to Sky directly and to ofcom .. if enough people have the backbone sure they will change..

Oddly now that I put in for my MAC number and asked to cancel my account, how I now have instant access to the top level resolution techys instead of those useless read from the screen support people.. who are now going to phone me ..

If you want something done then ask to cancel.. you don't have to go through with it, ask for your MAC number they send it to you in 5 days and you have 30 days to use it, if you don't nothing changes, except of course you get through to the technical support you should have got through to in the first place..

My point being you can scare them in to action, if you do something about it..
      hmmm, you might not want to rely on that. I've heard of situations where the 30 days have been up and the service has been cancelled, with the isp claiming that the initial request for a MAC could be perceived as a wish to cancel. Whilst you'd obviously be able to argue and complain about this, it might be quite some time before you're back online.....

genius16 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Problem with sending/receiving e-mails SOLVED!!! - 10/02/2008

If you are SKY Broadband user and you have trouble sending/receiving e-mails, follow the procedure:

• Microsoft Outlook=>Tools=>E-mail Accounts

• Add a new e-mail account (Next)

• POP3 (Next)

• Your Name: AABBCCDD EEFFGGHH
      • E-mail Address: your_sky_username@sky.com

• Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.googlemail.com
      • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.googlemail.com

• Username: your_sky_username@sky.com
      • Password: type_your_sky_password (the same password as you would log in on ‘My Sky’)

• Tick the box Remember password

• Select More Settings

o Select tab Outgoing server

oTick the box My outgoing server (SMTP) requires
      authentication
      AND
      select Log on using:
      Username: your_sky_username@sky.com
      Password: type_your_sky_password (the
      same password as you would log in on ‘My Sky’)

Tick the box Remember password

o Select tab Advanced

oTick the box This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
      Value 995 should be inserted into field Incoming server (POP3)

oBelow that,
      tick the box This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
      Value25 should be inserted into field Outgoing server (SMTP)

Confirm changes with OK, Next, Finish.

This works on my computer.

Good luck!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast