Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008

This is a discussion on Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008 within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This worked for me: On the MySky website is a page called Setting Up Sky Email With Another Mail Client ...

Walshy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Whats going on with Sky Email - February 2008

This worked for me:

On the MySky website is a page called Setting Up Sky Email With Another Mail Client (accessed via Sky Help Centre Home, Sky Email and then the link is the sxith one up from the bottom). Unsure if you can link directly to it. In there it details how to set up smtp to work with your outlook client to retrieve sky emails. You can use this info to set up smtp via sky for all your non-sky accounts. The outgoing smtp address is smtp.tools.sky.com and you have to tick the box that says authentication required by smtp server. Also select the Log on as... and put your sky email address and password in. Finally, select the advanced tab (in Outlook) and tick the SSL required box and put 465 as the port number. Be careful to only tick the boxes relevant to sending not receiving (unless setting up your Sky email in which case follow all of Sky's instructions). Now you can send via Sky smtp

Let me know how you get on. If you want more info post here and I'll elaborate.

Edit: Ah, just noticed sticky in forum
      Last edited by Walshy; 09-02-08 at 12:21 AM.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

everyone knows that - what they're annoyed about is if you send from your non-sky address it says 'on behalf of xxx@sky.com' after the non-sky address...this cant be worked around due to the nature of the google system...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Lawrence is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Let's get this straight...

Sky and Google are hijacking our private and personal emails, stripping out the return path and replacing it with the @sky.com email address..

That is outrageous and I'm pretty sure completely illegal, I will be reporting this to ofcom on Monday and hope everyone else here can do the same, as well as cancelling their broadband subscription, you can't let any company infringe on your data protection like this.

It does not matter that there are alternatives by using other smtp servers etc..

This is a standard service, sky are now the only broadband provider in the country that is doing this...

This means any person with a personal email address is now no longer able to use it..

GROSV is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01635
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thats it !! I've had enough - I am off to a new service provider. I am currently have Sky+, Multiroom, HD, Sky Broadband middle range service, and Sky Talk. For 2 yeaRS I have used teh Sky SMTP server for outgoing mail and my own email host for incoming mail with no problems whatsoever.

Withoiut warning and without the courtesy of any notification from Sky they suddenly drop the SMTP servr - on phoning the dreaded tech support I am told to use SMTP.SKY.TOOLS.COM (after the usual 20 minutes wait) - so I do - and guess what - it doesnt work! - so back to tech support (another 20 min wait) to be told that because i dont use sky email they will not give me any more information on how to get my emails.

Not only are they unhelpful but I simply cannot believe that they can simply discontinue a service for which I am paying without any communication.

Virgin Cable for me - Broadband with 20mb download (rising soon to 50), 140+ TV channels, Cable telephone with international discounts and free calls, Mobile phone with 500 free minutes and 500 texts pm.

No more SKY bills - no more BT bills and all for less than i am paying now.

BYE BYE SKY!!!!!!!!

benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, this is not good at all. No notification. No need. No email.

I've never had an ISP that doesn't offer an smtp server (and certainly not one that require all the nonsense and unwanted additional info attached by sky mail about sender and return email, not that I have a sky email account)

Running vista couldn't get free SMTP server to work, will try mail enable a bit later, but doesn't look so easy...

this is not the way forward.

Lawrence is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can I just add.. they are not only accessing and ripping out content from my private emails, the return address is not even mine, it is my girlfriends who has the account with sky and we share the same computer..

Surely no company can replace information on your private emails and send the return to another persons email account..

I have sent an email to ofcom and will phone them on monday this must be illegal..

Another thought I had is, that perhaps in the small print of the Sky terms of service the give themselves the right to rip us off and do what evr they want, but surely not give that information to a 3rd party, ie: Google a totally different company.. all without our permission..

I'm not only leaving Sky I'm going to fight this...

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by benaline View Post
      I've never had an ISP that doesn't offer an smtp server
      They do offer a SMTP server.

Why don't you guys go elsewhere for your mail, there are plenty of free and better alternatives out there, hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, Boltblue and Operamail to name but a few. All are completely free to set up and use.

rogon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01227
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Whats going on with Sky Email - January 2008

Quote Originally Posted by kpax88 View Post
      Stop moaning about an email service... They provide you a web based email... and i bet it works!!
      Well mine dosn't and I went live in November all I keep getting is letters telling me its complicated to sort out great

Fodderstompf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Couldn't agree more about all this. Sky should have pre-warned us and briefed the so-called support staff. It's absolutely pointless ringing them. Especially if you have a Mac.

Why Sky can't have support that is as good, and easily accessible, as this website is a disgrace. This site is a god-send.

Option 7 of adding the new accounts via the sky webmail does work, thankfully, but after a week of either not being able to send email, or being unable to find replies (that had went to a sky email address I could never ever get to work via POP), I'm peeved me say the least.

As they would say in football "I'm seriously considering my future" please keep us informed with what Offcom say.

Fight the Power!

benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      They do offer a SMTP server.

Why don't you guys go elsewhere for your mail, there are plenty of free and better alternatives out there, hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, Boltblue and Operamail to name but a few. All are completely free to set up and use.
      Hmm, I know the new offering is a type of smtp server, but as I said in my original post, I've never had one that forcibly adds or changes mail and user data (I've never had one thats been flawless, and some have been poor and unreliable, but its part of the deal imo). It also forces me to sign agree to using an "external" or "partner" email provider as without it it is unusable. Someone has even complained about there emails being available to strangers (post headed breach of securityl.) I think its also obvious that I do use other better and free email alternatives as I have said i do not use sky's. I have about 10 different email addresses. None of them now work.

I have to either install my own smtp server on every machine i and others use, or pay for a external service, or agree to have all my emails look as if they come from someone@sky.com. none of which are acceptable.

what next.. perhaps no dns server?.. or we have some sponsored portal for http?

I too will be looking into whether this is a fair change with ofcom as I have had no notice, and it requires either work or expense for me to rectify.

I have never not had smtp as part of an isp service before. I don't know any other provider that does this. do you?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast