Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cannot get Other email Addresses to work

This is a discussion on Cannot get Other email Addresses to work within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have tried following the instructions for setting up other sky email addresses ie aside from the primary one, which ...

xblade is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Troon
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Cannot get Other email Addresses to work

I have tried following the instructions for setting up other sky email addresses ie aside from the primary one, which works fine

POP is enabled on sky site

When I send a test mail after putting all info into outlook I get following response in my inbox - see below

How have others setup other addresses using outlook?
      Think I am missing something obvious!!!

Thanks for any assistance
      --------

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

simon@sky.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
      PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 13): 550 5.1.1 No such user z40si9841631ikz.4

----- Original message -----

Received: by 10.67.25.6 with SMTP id c6mr4107763ugj.65.1202395914247;
      Thu, 07 Feb 2008 06:51:54 -0800 (PST)
      Return-Path: <smlawrence@sky.com>
      Received: from arbicopc ( [90.197.215.113])
      by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id i30sm2932773ugd.38.2008.02.07.06.51.52
      (version=SSLv3 cipher=RC4-MD5);
      Thu, 07 Feb 2008 06:51:53 -0800 (PST)
      To: =?utf-8?B?U2ltb24gTGF3cmVuY2U=?= <simon@sky.com>
      Subject: =?utf-8?B?TWljcm9zb2Z0IE9mZmljZSBPdXRsb29rIFRlc3QgTWVzc2 FnZQ==?=
      MIME-Version: 1.0
      Content-Type: text/html;
      charset="utf-8"
      Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
      Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 06:51:53 -0800 (PST)
      Message-ID: <47ab1b09.1e87420a.21f8.67e4@mx.google.com>

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Cannot get Other email Addresses to work

I am beginning to think after reading a lot of posts that maybe I am thinking incorrectly about how to get more sky (other than my primary one), email addresses

I saw a response by PaulSky to another post, about using 'Additional Users' for email addresses. I thought this was for something different like family members etc that can have separate email accounts to the main account holder

Can someone please confirm if I have to use the Additional User setup for giving me more email addresses. Thanks

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xblade View Post
      Can someone please confirm if I have to use the Additional User setup for giving me more email addresses.
      If you want additional email addresses then you have to create extra users and their username become part of the email address. For example if you create a username called Bob smith then the email address would be bob.smith@sky.com

Thanks

UPDATE

I managed to set up some Additional email Accounts, but curiously it was only after my mail username password was changed

Up to this point I was getting a message that I had been successful in the process of setting up the additional email accounts, but they were not showing up on my main account

Sky tech support did not seem to know what to do and when I phoned them were quite unhelpful, although very pleasant!!!!

Strange experience, but I go there in the end

Best thing I have learned - Keep clam, be patient and persevere - lol

arbie2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01480
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Guys

I have been with Sky since December and have finally got thenm to admit that a small number (given how many people use sky mail this could be lots) of users have a problem with setting up additional users.

It is nothing the user isdoing wrong in the setup it is to do with how the web guys at google set up some primary email accounts and don't give them full access to all the services. As a user you are unable to do anything about this apart from regularly email and phone sky and say 'I haven't gone away I need additional addresses - do something'

I have finally got as far as being on the sky spreadsheet of users with this problem. Sky customer services are aware of this problem once you can get them to understand that it is not in setting up additional users you need help it is in then getting the additional users to have access to an inbox with google. It is a google web techy problem. I can't help feeling that if more people who think (or have been told) they are doing something wrong actually persistenly contacted sky customer services with this problem and got on the 'spreadsheet' google guys might finally do something about it. The frustration level is beyong the furthest star and I am approaching supernova - but I will not let it go. Maybe if all people who cannot get inboxes for their additional users made a big fuss - I could go back to cool mode and actually get a fully functional additional user set up

Apart from anything else it would be good to know that at least sky was listening to it's 'small' number of users who are living with a problem not of their making (and paying for a service they are not getting)

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Erm if Sky were ignoring the "small number" of customers having issues with the Googlemail system setup then they would not have recently moved staff from the technical support area in a new "webmail" team. Yes in some cases the initial setup is at fault on the account but it's not just google that causes the issue, some users are causing the problem by using speacial characters in the user name (hypens, extended characters etc) or by putting a number at the begining of the password (needs to be letters at the begining or the account appears to set up but cannot be accessed) and also some issues are being caused by bad data being input at the very begining by Sky staff and/ or customers.
      But yes Sky are trying to sort things and are highlighting these issues as and when they become apparent.