Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address

This is a discussion on Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; so, in the example with the Murdochs, doesnt each family member get their OWN @sky.com address? this way they have ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address

so, in the example with the Murdochs, doesnt each family member get their OWN @sky.com address? this way they have their own pop/smtp settings to configure their PCs to and Granny can still email them directly? of course it won't work with non-sky email addreses but at least it means people aren't losing their mail...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      GRM
      GRM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oadby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      so, in the example with the Murdochs, doesnt each family member get their OWN @sky.com address?
      Yes they do, and if Sky BB had launched with this restriction I wouldn't feel as justified in questioning why they have explicitly chosen to inconvenience a significant proportion of their user base by crippling - rather than extending - their email offering.

It's like 2001 and wires only ADSL all over again.

Thanks

surely so long as they get the email thats the main thing?

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

GRM
      Thanks

Not really IMO. The Murdochs bought their domain to get away from having to rely on ISP-specific email addresses. What happens when Sky decide in the future to enhance their email offering again and those addresses they set up stop working? Or Sky get out of the ISP market altogether? They might be able to phone Granny and explain they have yet another new email address but what about everyone else they've been in touch with since Sky last forced them to change?

Thanks

then maybe the said family should've bought mail server access too rather than relying on the ISP - its not expensive and then it doesnt matter which ISP you're with, let alone email address!!

GRM
      Thanks

We seem to be back round to where I entered the thread - my extended family will be paying 10/yr each for SMTP access from now on. It's just a shame that Sky have chosen to break something that every other UK ISP manages to provide.

Bigthinka is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just to remind anyone thinking of paying for smtp server access.

I have set up an SMTP server to be used by any Sky users in distress who need to send emails with a non sky sender address and retain the non sky sender address in the emails sent.

This service is provided free, no service setup is required just a change to your email programs settings.

To get your SMTP account enter your email address here

Bigthinka

and details of how to use the new SMTP account will be sent to you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345