Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address

This is a discussion on Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; yup...thank you Bigthinka....I think I'll need to use your free service too.....and I agree with Lawrence. This email "byproduct" came ...

gilbert is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address

yup...thank you Bigthinka....I think I'll need to use your free service too.....and I agree with Lawrence. This email "byproduct" came as a complete shock and my wife's still nipping my head about it...

2. Advertisement
      scoop is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEBDT
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: DGND3700 V2
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address

There are some aragant bustardos on this forum! Im personaly horrified by the responses of one particular member. Dont understand how they can get away with it??

Scoop

GRM
      GRM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oadby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Just wanted to add my name to the list of users annoyed by this change foisted upon us by Sky/Google.

When households frequently contain numerous users and/or devices, it's very shortsighted for a consumer ADSL supplier to assume that it is acceptable to explictly link all outgoing email to one specific email address. If they want to invoke SMTP authentication, fair enough. It would have been easier - for the customers - just to reject anything from non-Sky IP space, but I realise that what is best for the customer is not always easiest for the supplier.

To start making users jump through hoops to keep their chosen "From:" line is bizarre.

But to insert unmodifiable "Sender:" and "Return-Path:" headers is frankly amazing.

I hope Sky/Google see sense soon.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

I think you have slightly misunderstood how the google system works. You can create 10 sky email accounts with your sky broadband. That is 10 unique authentifications to the SMTP server. Each of those can have an unlimited number of other email accounts associated with it.
      Apologies if you did already know this and I was the one who misunderstood your post.

GRM
      Thanks

Hi Moleman,

As I understand it, this is how Sky's multi email address support works:

Consider a Mr R Murdoch who signs up for Sky BB and is assigned the username r.murdoch@sky.com. Living with Mr Murdoch are Mr A Murdoch, Miss B Murdoch, Mrs C Murdoch and Miss D Maxwell (nee Murdoch). Many years ago and according to accepted best practice, the Murdochs availed themselves of the domain murdochfamily.com. Miss Maxwell also has her own domain, maxwell.me.

Each of them has their own account on the family PC and Outlook was configured to send outgoing email via smtp.sky.com. Everything worked just fine and the Murdochs were a happy bunch.

Now along come Sky/Google and sending email no longer works. So they read the relevant PDF from Sky and jump through the necessary hoops reconfiguring their mail clients with 465 and SSL and other stuff that goes right over their heads, but eventually it all appears to be working again.

Until Granny Murdoch phones a few days later and asks why they are all ignoring her emails. Much head scratching ensues until someone realises that every email sent by Mr A, Miss B, Mrs C and Miss Maxwell has been sent with "From: R Murdoch <r.murdoch@sky.com>".

So they find some relevant posts on skyuser.co.uk, delve even deeper into Sky/Google Mail config options and finally reach the stage where the best they can do is send email that arrives in Granny's inbox labelled as:

From: R.Murdoch <r.murdoch@sky.com> on behalf of D Maxwell <d@maxwell.me>

Because Sky/Google insist on adding "Sender" and "Return-Path" headers that add nothing of value.

If any of the above is wrong, I'd love someone to point it out to me.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

Yes I see your problem.

The thing is that sky's "bargain basement" BB service expects that all its users will be using an @sky address.

Those that have their own domains are presumably assumed to have mail services associated with them.

In your position the best that you could achieve would be to get the mail to appears as "From (personal-sky-address) on behalf of (personal address) by adding sky mail accounts for each member of your family.

Does the provider of your POP servers not also have SMTP servers?

I agree that to get your email functioning as you would like will not be possible via google.

I think you will have to hope skyuser do set up their own SMTP server.

GRM
      Thanks

My POP supplier does SMTP. Just means (to comply with the spirit of their account) that I need to buy each family member an account at 10/yr rather than have them use Sky.

Obviously it's not a deal breaker - just a PITA that Sky have chosen to break something that used to work.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

the problem is it worked for a few small amount - there were SO many more problems with the old servers that the Google ones are awesome in comparison...

just not to those here...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

GRM
      Thanks

Ah, "I" must have been one of the lucky ones. Mum, Dad, Sister, BIL, MIL and FIL all used smtp.sky.com - which I set up for them - without a single hiccup for the last 12 months.

Johnny7 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: High Wycombe (SMHY)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GRM View Post
      Ah, "I" must have been one of the lucky ones. Mum, Dad, Sister, BIL, MIL and FIL all used smtp.sky.com - which I set up for them - without a single hiccup for the last 12 months.
      No, GRM, I have been using smtp.sky.com since October 2006 without a single problem - Sky delivered all my email without any hoop-jumping from me or my partner, who also uses this connection; no authentication as Sky knew it was me because they connected me.

Now I use Virgin to send my mail - I doubt if that is what Sky intended when they formed their partnership with Google. Branson must be sniggering in the shadows.

My favoured solution to this would be for Sky to reinstate there own servers as before leaving the new Google 'enhanced' servers for those who want them - I don't mind being in a minority!

john
      John in High Wycombe

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast