Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address

This is a discussion on Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; To answer some of your points: And when some one replies to my email I want them to have the ...

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address

To answer some of your points:

And when some one replies to my email I want them to have the email address I sent them as the reply. me@myname.com not some crappy @sky ******
      They will if you configure it to do so.

1. to the person I'm sending to it will look like dodgy spam
      Not really, in fact they won't even know unless they look at the headers or use Outlook in which case they will see an "on behalf of" in the address but the reply to option will take them to the address you want.

2, It is seriously unprofessional
      I'd say more annoying in that you can't chose to turn it off but then sky BB is a consumer product not a professional one.

3, this is a total infringment on data protection and my personal privacy.
      Not really its no different to your Gas/Electricy suppliers sending a 3rd party to read your meter. All sorts of companies use contractors to supply services.

You will probably still not be happy, but lets get this in perspective.

P.S. As an internet project manager you should know that you shouldn't use someone else's credentials to authenticate your outgoing mail, which is why your girlfriend's email address ended up on your emails!
      Last edited by moleman; 10-02-08 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Added P.S.

2. Advertisement
      Bigthinka is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address

I have set up an SMTP server to be used by any Sky users in distress who need to send emails with a non sky sender address and retain the non sky sender address in the emails sent.

This service is provided free, no service setup is required just a change to your email programs settings.

To get your SMTP account enter your email address here

Bigthinka

and details of how to use the new SMTP account will be sent to you.
      Last edited by Bigthinka; 10-02-08 at 02:14 PM. Reason: missing link

Lawrence is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mate only 1 person in the household signs for the broadband account..

If a family is using it all their outgoing email is now being replied to single account holder.

Sky are sending peoples personal emails to another account..

Are you aware that is what is happening ?

I don't want a @sky.com email and neither does my girlfriend she has her own and not just 1 .. no point having a default reply if you use more than 1 reply address..

I think I'll wait and see what ofcom have to say, and yes your right I do know what I'm talking about .. Sky is the only provider on the planet doing this at present and if people don't stand up to it, it will migrate to others..

How long do you think it will be before Google start adding advertising to your emails.. and how dare they give out our account to a 3rd part company, I have looked over the T&C's and it is not even in their own documentation.. it is not allowed ...

And just to reconfirm .. 1: I do not want my emails to read "on behalf of" and neither does it come back to my reply address, my return emails go directly to mygirlfriend@sky.com .. so you are wrong there.. I think you will find that it is your perspective that is distorted..

If you send a letter by royal mail, would they let another company open your mail, change the address that the person needs to reply to and think that is ok ? it is an infringment on my data protection..
      Last edited by Lawrence; 10-02-08 at 07:20 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

then buy access to an smtp service - Sky isn't gonna change just cause you're not happy...

I have my own domain, which runs a mail server which I pay for - ive never used my ISPs email cause its too much hassle to keep changing email addresses...

but as you say - you're leaving Sky so bye...and i think you should be banned for blatantly flaunting the swear filters...
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 10-02-08 at 08:16 PM.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do you work for Sky or something ?

In fact what you are saying is " I'm alright jack" this is not just about me, but everyone who signed up to Sky under one particular contract only to have it changed without being informed of the ramifications of their Google deal..

They are abusing all of us..

Good for you, you paid extra for a SMPT server, but I have at least 6 email addresses at around 10 per year for each should I now have to pay an extra 60 per year because Sky have changed the contract we signed up for ?

Apart from all the hassle..

They are now the only company on the planet that does not now offer this kind of service ..

I'm suggesting you and everyone should complain, instead of rolling over and being stomped on, removed by admin
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 10-02-08 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Against forum rules

Thanks

yes i do - and im not gonna complain as its fine for me...i dont use my email account from Sky cause i have one domain which ALL my mail goes through, so thats 7 accounts for a tenner a year...not expensive if you ask me. and if i ever had to use the Sky/Google SMTP server then i'll just deal with the whole 'on behalf' thing, they can still reply to me so i personally dont care...

anyway, Sky have gone through a lot to get the new service running so i doubt very much it'll be changing anytime soon...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thought so...

Anyway I think we will wait and see, I have contacted ofcom and a number of media contacts in the BBC as well as other internet watchers who deal with this kind of practice..

It is my belief and from my experience that what Sky have done is in breach of contract, in breach of data protection and should certainly not go unchallenged.

If this is backed up by the professionals I have access to then we'll see just how fast they will have to change...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Please agree to disagree, and also please stop the name calling.

We have a Zero Tolerance on here for abuse, and its been a long time since we had any personal insults. Calling someone an idiot is uncalled for, because they have a different POV.

Will leave this thread open for now.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 10-02-08 at 09:38 PM.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

that's cool - i'm fine with that...

my point is with the amount of money Sky has invested in the new system I can't see them going back any time soon - and there's been many a person go to ofcom about Sky and has anything ever come from it?

didn't think so...

Spidge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cowley
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigthinka View Post
      I have set up an SMTP server to be used by any Sky users in distress who need to send emails with a non sky sender address and retain the non sky sender address in the emails sent.

This service is provided free, no service setup is required just a change to your email programs settings.

To get your SMTP account enter your email address here

Bigthinka

and details of how to use the new SMTP account will be sent to you.
      Hi my friend.
      Have set up all my non Sky email accounts using you SMTP server, and all are working perfectly.
      Thanks for you help.
      Steve.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast