Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address

This is a discussion on Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; totally agree......

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address

totally agree...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Outgoing emails - now showing sky address :( instead of my website/email address

Quote Originally Posted by tazmania View Post
      thanks, my host provider can upgrade me for under 30 to a windows based server instead of linux server im on, and enable smtp for outgoing mail, so no need for sky at all for emails. Anyone else should do the same if possible.
      With hosting packages being so cheap now there is no need not to do it to be honest, even if you only go for a really cheap package that allows you to then use google apps it is worth the money. If you want a domain and the visible use of a domain email address then you really should look to use a proper smtp system with the domain package. I pay less than 3 per month for my hosting, I could go cheaper easily but my host is really good at supporting issues and has even manually adjusted my domain records to make sure everything worked properly with google apps when he could have just ignored me.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It looks like this has been solved (the showing of Sky email addresses instead of other ones). Have a read here:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-e...tml#post128065

Lawrence is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No that option does not work if you are using OE or any other email client, it only works if you continue to go through your @sky.com account..

Personally I never use it and never have..

I will definately be cancelling my broadband with sky..

And do not understand why everyone does not do the same..

How can any company be allowed to access your outgoing email strip out the return path you have provided and replace it with one of their own.. I'm stll shocked..

That's the way it is, there is no way round it, the only option is to go to any other broadband provider in the country as sky is the only one that is doing this..

Thanks

or just pay your domain company for mailbox access for like a tenner for the year...

leaving an ISP purely on an email basis is like cutting off your nose to spite your face

i do admit its an annoyance for some people but Sky BB is only a basic, CHEAP service (free for some) so you can't really complain...if anything blame google for how it works

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Bigthinka is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have set up an SMTP server to be used by any Sky users in distress who need to send emails with a non sky sender address and retain the non sky sender address in the emails sent.

This service is provided free, no service setup is required just a change to your email programs settings.

To get your SMTP account enter your email address here

Bigthinka

and details of how to use the new SMTP account will be sent to you.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

IAmNotTheEnemy

Don't be so apathetic, this is a free service provided free by every other broadband provider in the country..

Why should we have to jump through hoops and pay more.

They are illegally accessing our emails, ripping out our return path and replacing it with an @sky.com return address..

Which in my case is not even my address but my girlfriends..

No one is allowed to hijack your email and put someone elses email address in it, this is a massive deal.. and one we should not just sit back and take..

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

Lawrence, I can tell you find it annoying but if you read the tutorials you will find your girlfriend can create a sky account for you. You can then configure that account so the return address is whatever you want, although it will have a "sender" field of your sky address so that some email packages will show that the email is sent "on behalf of" your actual email

Thanks

calm down my friend - its only email...

and anyway, those other ISPs - how much to you have to pay for the connection per month? about double Sky so no doubt some of that cost goes towards mail servers and other services...just get off your high horse and get on with it...
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 09-02-08 at 05:24 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Why should I have to get my girlfriend to open a sky email account I don't want, just to use outgoing mail that we pay for as part of the service in broadband..

And when some one replies to my email I want them to have the email address I sent them as the reply. me@myname.com not some crappy @sky b ollocks

1. to the person I'm sending to it will look like dodgy spam
      2, It is seriously unprofessional
      3, this is a total infringment on data protection and my personal privacy.

no they don't have the right to do it, and certainly then to give that information to a 3rd party ie: Google, wake up ...

IAmNotTheEnemy

may not get it and may be happy being p issed on but I use email everyday of my life.

I'm an internet project manager.. and you are asking me to communicate with people on some @sky.com email address.. may be fine for school boys or others not involved in internet stuff, but not for thousands of others who take offence at it and care about where their email goes and in what manner.

If you wrote a letter and the royal mail opened it changed your return address and sent it to someone else, you would think that is ok ..
      Last edited by Lawrence; 10-02-08 at 01:41 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast