Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

RIP Sky

This is a discussion on RIP Sky within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Alan b It might be a step in the right direction but by moving over to the ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: RIP Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      It might be a step in the right direction but by moving over to the Google system that have basically washed their hands of the whole email system and have left many people in complete limbo.
      I do agree with that and I was one of the people in complete limbo. In my experiance, ISP's don't usually offer a great e-mail service, usually minimal with poor retention and backup and even worse if something breaks.

Plusnet, Nildram and a few others have had some problems recently, so by passing the e-mail service across to a well known and somewhat tried and tested service seems a sensible move to me.

For all the people that are currently having problems there must be many having none and all the new customers will never know any difference, once the dust settles I think most will be happy.

I bet that by moving to Google Sky save a lot of time and expence in the future trying to deal with the system they used to have. Was it even capable of dealing with the amount of customers they currently have? not to mention the amount of new customers signing up every day. I am sure that if they had a serious meltdown with the old system everyone would be up in arms wondering why it was not upgraded/improved earlier!

Antony

2. Advertisement
      timhorlock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

jonny7 you are a legend, you have solved the problem that others haven't. Thankyou.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

doesn work in outlook johnny - still says on behalf of...works for google/sky mail portal though...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Johnny7 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: High Wycombe (SMHY)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

@timhorlock
      Glad I could help.

@IAmNotTheEnemy
      Yes, you're right as the Sky Help centre explains:
      Your Sky Email address will still be included in your email headers in the sender field, to help prevent your mail from being marked as spam.

Most email clients do not display the sender field, though some versions of Microsoft Outlook may display "From yourusername@sky.com on behalf of customaddress@mydomain.com".
      This whole thing is such a mess; C'mon Sky - sort-it!

john
      John in High Wycombe

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

its not gonna happen as Sky is sold as a home consumer BB service - not one to have multiple domains/servers/VPN etc...looks like people'll have to purchase email access for their domains (which i do anyway as it makes life so much easier if switching ISPs)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Nemeth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Your Sky Email address will still be included in your email headers in the sender field, to help prevent your mail from being marked as spam.

Most email clients do not display the sender field, though some versions of Microsoft Outlook may display "From yourusername@sky.com on behalf of customaddress@mydomain.com".
      That's not actually totally unreasonable. If you relay your domain mail via Sky you risk some of it getting flagged as spam because the originating SMTP server doesn't reverse resolve to your domain. It's always best practice to use an SMTP server associated with your domain, the registrar offering you free POP3 email with your domain probably won't tell you that though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-02-08, 01:30 AM
    2. 09-02-08, 01:00 AM
    3. 09-02-08, 12:40 AM