Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sending non-Sky mails using Eudora via Sky ISP?

This is a discussion on Sending non-Sky mails using Eudora via Sky ISP? within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is it supposed to be still possible to send mail from non-Sky accounts through the new Sky/Google SMTP server using ...

Scramble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Grantham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Superfast Broadband
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Sending non-Sky mails using Eudora via Sky ISP?

Is it supposed to be still possible to send mail from non-Sky accounts through the new Sky/Google SMTP server using a third-party e-mail program such as Eudora 7.1? Because I haven't been able to, and I've found no information that says whether this is supposed to be possible or not.

When the old Sky SMTP servers stopped working for me yesterday, I followed the tutorials and changed the relevant Eudora settings ('Allow authentication', 'Required, alternate port', etc)., and also the changed the relevant settings on sky.com/tools.

This has been successful in that I can download my Sky e-mail in Eudora, and send mail from my Sky e-mail account. And, as you'd expect, I can still also download mail from my other (non-Sky) accounts. But I can't send mail from any of these other accounts using Eudora.

There is an option on sky.com/tools to add other e-mail accounts. I've done this for all of my other accounts, and verified them. They all appear on the "Accounts" page on sky.com/tools. But this hasn't helped.

In Eudora I have changed the SMTP server on "Properties" for each one of my accounts/personalities. E-mails sent from them are getting through to the new Sky/Google SMTP server, but every time I get an error message saying:

-----------------
      the SMTP server (smtp.tools.sky.com) said: 530 5.5.1 Authentication Required 23sm1811394ugf.24.
      -----------------

So it looks like the server is not recognizing the accounts listed in the Accounts section of sky.com/tools. So does adding these accounts only work for the e-mail program in sky.com/tools, or is it supposed to also work with third-party e-mail programs such as Eudora? Do I just need to give it a few days? Or is this an error, and should I contact Sky?
      Last edited by Scramble; 06-02-08 at 11:56 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Sending non-Sky mails using Eudora via Sky ISP?

I've just seen this thread:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-e...ng-emails.html

This tells me that it is possible to send mail from a non-Sky account using Outlook (although the Sky address is also added to the non-Sky address, which is very annoying).

But I can't work out how to do it in Eudora, which has a different setup than Outlook.

Thanks

I've now got the sending of e-mail from non-Sky accounts to work in Eudora by making my Sky account my "Dominant Personality" (as Eudora calls it).

But as others have noted, your sent e-mails will now display both your Sky address (under "Sender") and your non-Sky address (under "From"). Eudora shows both these in its normal window (although Squirrelmail, a web-based client, doesn't).

Any reply to this mail will go to the non-Sky address, so that's okay, but I'm not happy about the Sky address appearing there in the first place. Very disappointing, Sky. I know this is the way Googlemail does things, but it doesn't look professional. I might have to switch to a dedicated SMTP company.

(It would help if I could change my Sky account name to something that looks like a random technical string, but there doesn't seem to be any easy way of doing that.)

Thanks

I've just sent an e-mail to my work address from a non-Sky account using Eudora. If I look at it on my web-based work e-mail account it says it's from my Sky account (minus the "@sky.com" bit), "on behalf of" the non-Sky account. That isn't acceptable to me.

Thanks

As I said above, I got Eudora to send non-Sky e-mails through the new Sky SMTP server by making Sky my "Dominant Personality", but I think you could also get it to work by using Sky as the "Relay Personality", a feature I had never used before today. But now I've had to, as I've signed onto DynDNS's SMTP service, and it's taken me hours of fiddling about to get that to work with Eudora.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

This is how the google system works and don't bother to call Sky - its nothing to do with Sky as its not how the service works. If you wanna use another domain email account then you'll have to pay for another smtp server...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Culcullain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: newnet
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How does one go about getting another smtp server. Can I do this and still retain my sky broadband and what are the approximate costs?

Never been able to receive sky.com emails since I joined a year ago so therefore never had notification of this move. I was told by sky when I joined that I would have no problem with using my own domain. If this is the outcome of a move to google mail then sky customers should have been made aware of the consequences.

Culcullain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: newnet
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Phoned my hosting provider (Newnet) and got their smtp server details and now sending from my own domain.

Bigthinka is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have set up an SMTP server to be used by any Sky users in distress who need to send emails with a non sky sender address and retain the non sky sender address in the emails sent.

This service is provided free, no service setup is required just a change to your email programs settings.

To get your SMTP account enter your email address here

Bigthinka

and details of how to use the new SMTP account will be sent to you.