Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Another windows mail not working

This is a discussion on Another windows mail not working within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks Paul, I am aware that unlock captcha wasn't available 7 months ago, the problem my customer had back then ...

rossendale-it is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Another windows mail not working

Thanks Paul, I am aware that unlock captcha wasn't available 7 months ago, the problem my customer had back then was that the mail account completely didn't work, access via either via webmail or pop failed, NDR's etc. After many phone calls, T1 eventually got the message that the mail account didn't work, but even then, they got it to a point where Sky had started the move to Google, and the mail account was receiving the mails (no more NDR's), but the user could still not log in to it and access their mail.

My point is, that Sky T1 support seem to be completely uninterested in assisting, as well as having very little IT support experience. For example, at one point I mentioned that the emails being sent to xxxx@sky.com were being bounced back with an NDR saying the user did not exist, and a T1 operative told me to log into webmail and change the password!!!! When I told them it was a server/account problem, they just rubbished it and told me everything was fine!
      In the 18 years I've been doing IT support, I have never experienced anything like this! But then, the dawn of Call Centre's has made all this happen IMHO, whatever happened to good old Customer Service dept's where the staff cared???

Please understand, I am not having a go at all Sky support staff, just the one's that I have had to deal with. If an end user had to go through the process I had to go through, I'm certain they would have ended up buying a new pc or something silly, when all that was needed was for the account to be checked, and then the user told to use the Captcha tool once the move to Google was complete. But instead all problems appear to be the users fault according to the people I spoke to, when it clearly wasn't.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Support for anything outside of the webmail system is always going to be patchy as only the wembail interface is supported fully. This then leads to an issue of technical competence when questions not covered by the online support system in use by Sky tech support. Unfortunately if you want IT experienced/ competent staff you have to pay for it, you will not get IT support staff working in T1 call centers for the wages being paid Having said that we have a very good support system that is being used a lot more than it used to be and there are a number of IT skilled people available to answer agent questions. At the moment there is a large number of new agents coming onto calls due to training groups ending, this will inevitably lead to an influx of agents grasping at straws but hopefully these agents will be sensible and ask questions if they are not sure of what they are facing on the calls.

rossendale-it is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Heheh, "Unfortunately if you want IT experienced/ competent staff you have to pay for it, you will not get IT support staff working in T1 call centers for the wages being paid"
      You're not wrong there! Call centres can be bad places, I did support in a call centre in Leeds a few years ago, fortunately I was 3rd Line support, but the general attitude of the staff, most of which were students, was that they didn't give a hoot about what they were doing because they got paid at the end of the month.
      Makes me really glad that I actually do enjoy my job!

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well we are trying hard to support our agents and give them tech info as much as we can, our hands are tied sometimes in what support we can and cannot offer but it does amaze me some days just how little some agents actually think when it comes to taken onboard the information customers are giving them. All we can do is keep guiding them until they actually realise that we are doing it for a reason.

NIK
      NIK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: ps9ypy
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi guys
      I see this descussion is still going on lol

Rossendale-it
      I have tried the Unlock captcha and guess what !!!! yea you got it, it tells me my username and password do not match.

Paul
      I notice your comment regarding
      Unfortunately if you want IT experienced/ competent staff you have to pay for it, you will not get IT support staff working in T1 call centers for the wages being paid
      I understand that is directed at people within sky itself
      but what about the customer ???? we are paying for a service and not getting the support we need when we have problems.

Phil W is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Apologies if I am responding to an old thread, but no one seems to have posted a categorical solution to this anywhere that I can find on the web.

This was the thread that gave me the answer.

Anyway, to bring anyone with the same issue up to date, I installed Sky broadband for a friend recently and thought I was going mad trying to get Windows Mail in Vista to service the account...the usual username/password request when talking to the server.

My friend had not received his original mail detailing his email address and original password so I had to phone Sky and go through the interminable process of being walked through user setup for him, after which I had access to Sky (Google) Mail with a valid email address and password.

No manner of coercion on my part could persuade Windows Mail (or Outlook on my PC) to talk with the POP, IMAP or SMTP server.

Sky were no help when he called them back to request his original password, but fortunately the letter arrived a couple of days ago.

I changed the password back on the MySky account and then tried sky.com/unlock which worked first time when I used the original password. I then had Outlook talking to the mail server fine using the original password.

I then changed the password on MySky back to the one my friend wants to use, accesed Sky Mail and the account fine with this account, but Outlook still insists that the password is the ORIGINAL unmemorable one.

I am now leaving it for 48 hours to see if these changes finally permeate the Sky Mail servers and both passwords synchronise! For me, this is a serious security flaw in Sky's email system.

Oh well, at least he has access to the services provided in some form and he is seriously impressed with the broadband speed and his new laptop (well, he should be - upgrading from Win 95 to Vista is a big step!!).

I'll let you know if the password ever updates.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123