Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Still getting nowhere with sending emails

This is a discussion on Still getting nowhere with sending emails within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by ianb11 http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-e...ng-emails.html I have had a nightmare getting my non-sky email working since the change took place ...

Rawlplug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01732
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Still getting nowhere with sending emails

I have had a nightmare getting my non-sky email working since the change took place for me yesterday morning.

I spoke to the Sky helpdesk people who got me to change the settings re smtp.tools.sky.com and the port BUT they did not tell me that I needed to enable POP emails in my account at Sky AND they told me to use my user name and password when setting up the server authentication at the bottom of the Server tab in Accounts. This is wrong - it is your user name@sky.com that should be used.

The combination of these two tiny changes caused me to tear my hair out (what's left of it) until I got it right. So beware!!

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rawlplug View Post
      I have had a nightmare getting my non-sky email working since the change took place for me yesterday morning.

I spoke to the Sky helpdesk people who got me to change the settings re smtp.tools.sky.com and the port BUT they did not tell me that I needed to enable POP emails in my account at Sky AND they told me to use my user name and password when setting up the server authentication at the bottom of the Server tab in Accounts. This is wrong - it is your user name@sky.com that should be used.

The combination of these two tiny changes caused me to tear my hair out (what's left of it) until I got it right. So beware!!
      You should have been advised to go to the sky.com page set up to answer these questions just in case the agent missed anything. If you were already using Outlook or OE then you should have already set up the POP on the sky emails and tools site, the agent may have thought this to be the case and they then failed to make sure all steps were covered.

Rawlplug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01732
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      You should have been advised to go to the sky.com page set up to answer these questions just in case the agent missed anything. If you were already using Outlook or OE then you should have already set up the POP on the sky emails and tools site, the agent may have thought this to be the case and they then failed to make sure all steps were covered.
      Thanks PaulSky but it would appear that my POP emails were working fine on the old servers without POP being enabled on Sky. One other point - I note that you say that emails were being sent out warning of the changes. I did receive one last November but that was it. It was a complete mystery to me why my email stopped sending the other day. It would have been useful if Sky had given users timely warning.

Regards,

Rawlplug.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The old servers were sky servers and you didn't need to enable pop. Enabling pop was for the new smtp and pop.tools.sky.com servers only.
      The email in November was for the original move to new servers, if you had changed servers at that time you would have been set to go. The old servers are now offline and therfor anyone who has not moved from them will suddenly get no email until they make the necessary changes.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      That wont help me, I am trying to send from a Sky e-mail address. Still no joy, all seems to be setup correctly!!!

HELP!!!!!
      Ok, seems that I have sorted it out. Setup a new account from scratch, left the outgoing port number as 25 and it works, tried this for my wifes e-mail address and that works also, any reason port 465 doesn't work and port 25 does?

Bigthinka is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have set up an SMTP server to be used by any Sky users in distress who need to send emails with a non sky sender address and retain the non sky sender address in the emails sent.

This service is provided free, no service setup is required just a change to your email programs settings.

To get your SMTP account enter your email address here

Bigthinka

and details of how to use the new SMTP account will be sent to you.
      Last edited by Bigthinka; 09-02-08 at 02:15 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12