Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help needed setting up Sky email changes

This is a discussion on Help needed setting up Sky email changes within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Since Sky has changed its SMTP I can no longer send emails. Although I use Outlook through Sky broadband, I ...

howardwatson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01277
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help needed setting up Sky email changes

Since Sky has changed its SMTP I can no longer send emails. Although I use Outlook through Sky broadband, I have always kept my onetel email address. Up until today everything worked fine and now I need some help carrying out the required changes. In the incoming server I have always had 'mail.onetel.com' and in the outgoing 'smtp.sky.com'. I have always uses a onetel email address and up to now have been able to receive and send emails without any problem. When testing my email account, the first four tests work OK but on the email test I get an error message 'please verify your email address'.
      Please where do I go from here? I have looked at the solutions posted but cannot find one where a non Sky email address has been used. Does the change to 'tools.sky.com' now mean I can no longer use my onetel email address or has someone a solution? Help please!!

2. Advertisement
      ianb11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help needed setting up Sky email changes

Quote Originally Posted by howardwatson View Post
      Since Sky has changed its SMTP I can no longer send emails. Although I use Outlook through Sky broadband, I have always kept my onetel email address. Up until today everything worked fine and now I need some help carrying out the required changes. In the incoming server I have always had 'mail.onetel.com' and in the outgoing 'smtp.sky.com'. I have always uses a onetel email address and up to now have been able to receive and send emails without any problem. When testing my email account, the first four tests work OK but on the email test I get an error message 'please verify your email address'.
      Please where do I go from here? I have looked at the solutions posted but cannot find one where a non Sky email address has been used. Does the change to 'tools.sky.com' now mean I can no longer use my onetel email address or has someone a solution? Help please!!
      I have the same issue - I have 3 email addresses in Outlook Express (inc Sky) & I have alwys been able to send & receive mail with all 3.

Recently I can receive through them all but can't send through the "non" Sky addresses. The Shy address sends fine.

As far as I can tell all settings are correct & this has ony happened in the last day or 2.

Any help appreciated!!

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just use smtp.tools.sky.com for sending emails, most ISPs do not allow sending of emails via other ISP servers. You will be able to receive from the other email servers using their POP addresses but sending must be done via the sky smtp server.

howardwatson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01277
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that but when testing email, I get error message "please verify the email address field". I am at a loss at what to do; why couldn't Sky just left things as they were!

Hershey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 7281
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have exactly the same problem with a ukonline email address. I can receive but not send. I spoke to a technical person at Sky and they said they didn't know how to deal with this question and that I should speak to UKonline. This is a biot rich, given that it worked perfectly well until Sky changed things.

Stanley_Cooper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ive posted a work around in another thread when sending email via another domain apart from sky like myself.

Like others I found this issue last night, but ive now installed an smtp service which runs on your computer and you use this to send email out and this works fine.

Stan..

Bigthinka is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have set up an SMTP server to be used by any Sky users in distress who need to send emails with a non sky sender address and retain the non sky sender address in the emails sent.

This service is provided free, no service setup is required just a change to your email programs settings.

To get your SMTP account enter your email address here

Bigthinka

and details of how to use the new SMTP account will be sent to you.

Johnny7 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: High Wycombe (SMHY)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      most ISPs do not allow sending of emails via other ISP servers.
      Sorry Paul, but that is not true - I do not know of any ISP which blocks connections to other ISPs SMTP servers. e.g. I use both smtp.beeb.net and mail.virgin.net to send email via Sky Broadband.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      You will be able to receive from the other email servers using their POP addresses but sending must be done via the sky smtp server.
      You can receive and send emails from others ISPs servers via Sky Broadband.

john
      John in High Wycombe

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny7 View Post
      Sorry Paul, but that is not true - I do not know of any ISP which blocks connections to other ISPs SMTP servers. e.g. I use both smtp.beeb.net and mail.virgin.net to send email via Sky Broadband.

john
      I think what he meant was that most ISP's SMTP servers only allow mail through if it is coming from within their own domain.

Johnny7 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: High Wycombe (SMHY)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
      I think what he [PaulSky] meant was that most ISP's SMTP servers only allow mail through if it is coming from within their own domain.
      That would make sense.

Sorry if I jumped-in too quickly on that one PaulSky.

john
      John in High Wycombe