Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

SMTP Server Problems?

This is a discussion on SMTP Server Problems? within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As I have multiple domains with a load of addresses for family and friends the use of the default email ...

dotdotuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: SMTP Server Problems?

As I have multiple domains with a load of addresses for family and friends the use of the default email address as the sent/return address is no use to me.

I also found I could not send email to a particular email list because only authorised addresses can send to it and my default Sky address is not one of them!

I looked around these forums and elsewhere and the mail server program "Postcast" came highly recommended.

It installed very easily and I got everything up and running - I even managed to send to the email list I mentioned above.

However I now realise that all is not well!

Several messages have bounced with the following type of message,

"Error: 550 Relay Denied <IP> is listed in zen.spamhaus.org"

Or from Hotmail the slightly more menacing,

"220 bay0-mc1-f11.bay0.hotmail.com Sending unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail to Microsoft's computer network is prohibited. Other restrictions are found at Microsoft Anti-Spam Policy. Violations will result in use of equipment located in California and other states."

It seems some email servers do not accept email that bypasses the host ISP SMTP servers.

Is there an answer to this or will I have to shell out for the Authsmtp mentioned elsewhere?

Does Authsmtp allow sending from multiple email alisases and domains?

Cheers,

Henry

2. Advertisement
      ianb11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dotdotuk View Post
      As I have multiple domains with a load of addresses for family and friends the use of the default email address as the sent/return address is no use to me.

I also found I could not send email to a particular email list because only authorised addresses can send to it and my default Sky address is not one of them!

I looked around these forums and elsewhere and the mail server program "Postcast" came highly recommended.

It installed very easily and I got everything up and running - I even managed to send to the email list I mentioned above.

However I now realise that all is not well!

Several messages have bounced with the following type of message,

"Error: 550 Relay Denied <IP> is listed in zen.spamhaus.org"

Or from Hotmail the slightly more menacing,

"220 bay0-mc1-f11.bay0.hotmail.com Sending unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail to Microsoft's computer network is prohibited. Other restrictions are found at Microsoft Anti-Spam Policy. Violations will result in use of equipment located in California and other states."

It seems some email servers do not accept email that bypasses the host ISP SMTP servers.

Is there an answer to this or will I have to shell out for the Authsmtp mentioned elsewhere?

Does Authsmtp allow sending from multiple email alisases and domains?

Cheers,

Henry
      Not sure if this will help mate:

Sky.com - Sky Help Centre>Sky Online

dotdotuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianb11 View Post
      Not sure if this will help mate:

Sky.com - Sky Help Centre>Sky Online
      Hi Ian,

Yes I saw that but it only seems to apply to sending email using the webmail service rather than using an email client like Outlook.

I setup one of my aliases and tried to send via Outlook and it was sent with the Sky address!

Cheers,

Henry

ianb11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dotdotuk View Post
      Hi Ian,

Yes I saw that but it only seems to apply to sending email using the webmail service rather than using an email client like Outlook.

I setup one of my aliases and tried to send via Outlook and it was sent with the Sky address!

Cheers,

Henry
      Strange!

When I send a Test email from my Wanadoo a\c to my Tesco a\c, I receive it in Windows Mail as if it was sent to & from Tesco (if that makes any sense!) as my default reply address is Tesco.

sparrie2k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEL
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The problem with trying to send mail direct without using an intermediate SMTP server is that a lot of ISPs will not accept mail from a server with a dynamic IP address (obviously hotmail is one of these!) and Sky do not offer fixed IPs.

Devonjohn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01752
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi - I also woke up this morning to find that my email would receive but not send.

I still use my old Freeserve account to receive and have never used Sky's one.

In fact I cannot even remember my username and password for Sky so this may be a tricky one.

But I too would like to retain my email address as myname@myname.freeserve.co.uk

Any ideas how I might do this or do I need to change back to Freeserve / wanadoo / orange or what ever they call themselves now......?
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 07-02-08 at 09:38 PM. Reason: changed email addy for spam reasons

Devonjohn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01752
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Now have my user name and password.

I have activated Pop download and will change my settings for outgoing tonight when I get home.

But I do not seem to be able to set up other accounts as no verification message is comeing through to my home email addresses.

I am hoping that I can just change the outgoing and leave the incoming on Freeserve.

I am also hoping that I can change the from address on outgoing - but if I cannot verify the address I may be stuck.

Very dim question I know:

I am aware that I can have 10 sky email addresses but how do I set them up?

Only need 3 and for the different names to go into Outlook boxes using rules set up to do so.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You need to go to sky.com, log in, click on mysky (login there if needed) click on manage your additional users, create the new account names and passwords, log out of sky.com. log back in using the new account and password, setup email and tools.

Bigthinka is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have set up an SMTP server to be used by any Sky users in distress who need to send emails with a non sky sender address and retain the non sky sender address in the emails sent.

This service is provided free and is only available to sky customers for a temporary period until you make other arrangements.

All I would ask from you is to do is the same as I have and signup to plusnet with my refferal code (harrisonline).

You can even try PlusNet broadband for 90 days free!

I had a link to make it easy for you but that was removed as its apparently against forum rules!

Anyway to get your SMTP account enter your email address here

Bigthinka

and I'll email you back details of how to use the new SMTP account.
      Last edited by Bigthinka; 08-02-08 at 11:02 AM. Reason: link was removed

xblade is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Troon
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      You need to go to sky.com, log in, click on mysky (login there if needed) click on manage your additional users, create the new account names and passwords, log out of sky.com. log back in using the new account and password, setup email and tools.
      Hi PaulSky
      I have set up an additional user email account - seems like a complicated way of having more email addresses but never mind, I think i;m getting there!1

How long does it take to appear in the 'Additional Users' section I ask this as it said it was successfully done but nothing appears yet and no welcome email appears

Is it OK to use dots,-, _ etc in the username?

Any other advice would be welcome
      thanks
      Simon

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast