Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Old sky email servers

This is a discussion on Old sky email servers within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My email is working perfectly through Microsoft Outlook 2002! However, I am using smtp.sky.com instead of smtp.sky.tools.com. I have no ...

brunderland is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Buckingham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Old sky email servers

My email is working perfectly through Microsoft Outlook 2002! However, I am using smtp.sky.com instead of smtp.sky.tools.com. I have no problem with pop.sky.tools.com as the incoming server but having tried every suggestion of changing settings, outgoing will only work on smtp.sky.com.

I'm quite happy with that, but this week I received an email from sky saying that pop.sky.tools.com and smtp.sky.tools.com are to be switched off at the end of January and that the new settings need to be in place before then.

I've had another session of trying to make smtp.sky.tools.com work but with the same lack of success so, for the first time ever, I called customer services. In common with others before me it was not a good experience.

I was told that they don't know anything about the email I received, to leave my settings alone, and if they do need to be changed try the guides that can be found on sky.com. There was nothing else that they could suggest!

I'm quite happy to leave my settings as they are but am concerned that come the end of January my email could be down and I'll have no solution. I've already tried everything the guides suggest on sky.com as well as everything that Sky User has to offer.

Has anyone else received a similar email?

Has anyone had a similar problem to mine that they have been able to resolve?

Any help would be appreciated. You'll be hard pushed to be less helpful than Sky customer services have been this morning...

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Old sky email servers

The full instructions on the Sky site are here but I have a feeling from memory that instruction 17 is a bit vague.

It is the authentication bit and the SSL port number that are important. Sorry if you are already aware of this. I cannot remember Outlook 2002 too well, but the only other suggestion I would have would be to try a Windows update on it.

I suspect that you will need to persevere with the changeover as Sky appear to have "contracted out" their email service to Googlemail and there is no reason at all why they would continue to run their own mail servers.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

If you are using Outlook 2002 then you need SP3 or you will not be able to send via the new server. Get it HERE

brunderland is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Buckingham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your help.

Looks like it might be a problem with outlook 2002 and I'm having trouble with updating it. Would be interested to hear if this has been a problem for others.