Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cannot send e-mail through a non-Sky SMTP server

This is a discussion on Cannot send e-mail through a non-Sky SMTP server within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have my own domain name (let's call it mydomain.com) which I have had for years. It is hosted by ...

iansime is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: AINTREE
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cannot send e-mail through a non-Sky SMTP server

I have my own domain name (let's call it mydomain.com) which I have had for years. It is hosted by a company called Netweaver. I used to be with Pipex, and Outlook worked fine when sending and receiving e-mail for the ian@mydomain.com account. This continued to work fine when I moved to Sky, and I have no need for the iansime@sky.com address at all.

A week or so ago, I found that I was unable to send e-mails through my ian@mydomain.com account, going through Netweaver's SMTP server. As soon as I try and send an e-mail, I get a failure message back with a URL pointing to a Spamhaus web page.

When I check this webpage out, I eventually get an information page, the summary of which is as follows...

Outbound Email Policy of Sky Broadband for this IP range:

It is the policy of Sky Broadband that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the dedicated outbound mail server for the Sky Broadband service.
      The outbound mail server for Sky Broadband customer use is smtp.sky.com.

This appears to be saying that if I want to send e-mail through any SMTP server whilst I am connected to Sky, then I have to use Sky's SMTP server. I tried this just to prove a point, and it did indeed work. However, it changed the 'From' address, so it no longer appeared to be from ian@mydomain.com any more.

How can I get around this?

If I am not allowed to use my own e-mail domain name, I may well move away from Sky, as it's absolutely vital to my use of an Internet connection.

I've not yet approached Sky, as I don't think my blood pressure could take it. All suggestions very gratefully received.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Cannot send e-mail through a non-Sky SMTP server

I send mail via a non Sky smtp server and have never had any problems. The only different thing I can see from your post it that I use Thunderbird as my mail client. No matter how many addresses you have Thunderbird only requires one smtp sending server so perhaps it is worth downloading and giving it a go.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have also used a non-Sky SMTP server for ages now, and nothing has changed at my end. It therefore seems reasonable to assume that something must have changed at Sky's end.

If it's related to them moving their e-mail platform onto Googlemail, then perhaps your e-mail won't be working for much longer Alan B !

P.S. I doubt that Thunderbird will solve my problem, since I haven't changed anything. I might give it a go anyway though, so thanks for the suggestion.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iansime View Post
      If it's related to them moving their e-mail platform onto Googlemail, then perhaps your e-mail won't be working for much longer Alan B !
      My mail has been moved over about a month and a half ago and it still works. Infact I never use Sky's SMTP server to send mail from any of my accounts and that includes my Sky address.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Same here, use my own domain to send and receive emails alongside my other accounts, have been on the new platform since it was put into effect and have had no issues.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've just restarted my router, in order to get a new IP address, just in case that resolved the issue, since my IP address was being quoted in the Spamhaus URL. Unfortunately it didn't help (as I suspected) since the new IP address is also part of the IP range specifiied in the full message on the Spamhaus website.

In other words.....I'm still on a Sky connection, so I still have to use Sky's SMTP server.

Why isn't this affecting anybody else ?
      What else can I do ?

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you read the error message it is saying that unauthencated mail cannot be sent out from that IP address range.

Both my domains that I use, use authenticated SMTP protocols, that is probably why most people aren't affected.

You could try changing the settings to authenticate the SMTP outgoing mail, in outlook I went into the account settings, under "more settings" and there is a tab "outgoing server" click on the SMTP authentication and I use the button "use settings as incoming mail".

Blocking unauthencated mail is a measure to try and stop spam bots and bulk spammers from working on the system.

If the company that handles your domains doesn't support authenticated SMTP it may be worthwhile moving to one that does.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Like everyone else I use my own domain for emails without a problem. However long before I joined Sky I had the same problem and it eventually turned out to be an out of date Certificate somewhere in the email chain. My email provider (Easily.co.uk) worked with me to find the point in the chain where the Certificate needed renewing and when this was done all worked as it had before.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      If you read the error message it is saying that unauthencated mail cannot be sent out from that IP address range.

Both my domains that I use, use authenticated SMTP protocols, that is probably why most people aren't affected.

You could try changing the settings to authenticate the SMTP outgoing mail, in outlook I went into the account settings, under "more settings" and there is a tab "outgoing server" click on the SMTP authentication and I use the button "use settings as incoming mail".

Blocking unauthencated mail is a measure to try and stop spam bots and bulk spammers from working on the system.

If the company that handles your domains doesn't support authenticated SMTP it may be worthwhile moving to one that does.
      I have exactly those settings configured in Outlook already, but you have brought a very important fact to my attention. Having re-read the error message again, I now realise that it is referring to UNauthenticated e-mails, even though Outlook is configured to authenticate outgoing (i.e. SMTP) e-mails.

So, do you think the problem doesn't in fact lie with Sky, but with Netweaver, who host my e-mail and domain ?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well lo and behold, I've only gone and found (and fixed) the problem.

Once I'd gone and re-read the error message, and realised that it was talking about un-authenticated e-mail, I confirmed that I had already configured Outlook to authenticate against my outgoing SMTP server.

Perhaps that would suggest that the problem was not with Sky, but with my email provider, Netweaver. I didn't hold out much hope of getting an answer out of them this side of 2008, but it might be worth checking their status page, just in case.

And there, like the Holy Grail itself, was the answer ro almost 2 weeks of e-mail worry and hassle. It looks like Netweaver have changed their SMTP server, and changing to the new one worked perfectly.

I just I'd had the sense to read the error message carefully in the first place !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast