Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New User & Family Emails

This is a discussion on New User & Family Emails within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm new to Sky but experienced with varied ISP's ... I switched here for reasons of cost plus I ...

Kyuuketsuki is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01795
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New User & Family Emails

Hi,

I'm new to Sky but experienced with varied ISP's ... I switched here for reasons of cost plus I was dissatisfied with aspects of the way my last ISP (Force 9) handled large downloads. Typically ISP's (or at least the ones I've been with) provide details such as accounts, pop3 server, SMTP server and the setup of child accounts is fairly easy ... so configuring mail for me, my wife and kids has been relatively easy.

I have been trying to configure mail for Sky and was dismayed to find that the webmail appears to be based on GMAIL (and I really don't like GMail much, I've had an account there for years but sometime back moved to Inbox.com) and that POP mail appears to be by configuring GMail to use POP.

I see other threads here including one that answers parts of what I need (Sky POP and SMTP addresses) but I need to set up a minimum of 4 mail accounts via Sky (preferably more because I typically have a personal and a professional e-mail address) and I can't see a way to do it using Sky. I have my own domain name but it would cost me something like 50 a year to set up e-mail on that and even then it isn't independent of my ISP so that sucks too.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated on setting up multiple e-mails for myself and my family.

Thanks

Kyu
      Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 13-12-07 at 10:00 AM.

2. Advertisement
      the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: New User & Family Emails

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
      I have been trying to configure mail for Sky and was dismayed to find that the webmail appears to be based on GMAIL (and I really don't like GMail much, I've had an account there for years but sometime back moved to Inbox.com) and that POP mail appears to be by configuring GMail to use POP.

I see other threads here including one that answers parts of what I need (Sky POP and SMTP addresses) but I need to set up a minimum of 4 mail accounts via Sky (preferably more because I typically have a personal and a professional e-mail address) and I can't see a way to do it using Sky. I have my own domain name but it would cost me something like 50 a year to set up e-mail on that and even then it isn't independent of my ISP so that sucks too.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated on setting up multiple e-mails for myself and my family.

Thanks

Kyu
      Hi,

If you take a look at the Solutions & Tips thread that is linked to in my Signature you will find out how to create the additional accounts you need.

If your looking to have accounts for business purposes then Sky email is not ideal. If you're looking to use your domain name as your email address then you are probably better off using a different solution. I see you don't like gmail - but I've been using Google Apps for a long time now for my domain email and it works very well.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_sky_goat
      If you take a look at the Solutions & Tips thread that is linked to in my Signature you will find out how to create the additional accounts you need.
      Thank you that's sorted it

If your looking to have accounts for business purposes then Sky email is not ideal.
      Not real business, just a mail account that can be treated a bit more seriously ... kyuuketsuki@sky.com doesn't really fit that ... I now have one firstnamelastname@sky.com and that comes through as firstnamelastname@mydomain.com so I'm sorted thanks

If you're looking to use your domain name as your email address then you are probably better off using a different solution. I see you don't like gmail - but I've been using Google Apps for a long time now for my domain email and it works very well.
      I have a domain hosted by 123reg.co.uk so I got that covered too

Thanks for the help

Kyu

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Great, glad to be of help.

Just one thing though....

When you send out your domain email via your email client, Sky will alter the header to include your Sky email address and then some email clients (mostly versions of outlook and outlook express) will add the following line into the body text:

"received from yourname@sky.com on behalf of yourname@yourdomain.com"

You might want to check that out to make sure your recipients are seeing what you want them to see.

I mentioned Google Apps because you said that it would cost you 50 a year to have proper email on your domain, whereas Google Apps is free and gives you proper email servers to use with your domain name.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal

Thanks

OK ... I was wrong.

It seemed to be working yesterday but doesn't seem to be today.

It seems that whether I like it or not it goes through that god awful Google mail thing, POP is enabled (I've checked, both accounts I'm using to test with) but nothing comes down to me client.

Add to that I seem to have mails from Jobserve going missing ... don't know if anything else is but fortunately my domain name host allows me to forward to 2 addresses so I'm getting them elsewhere.

Kyu

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Check the Spam folder on the webmail interface to see if they are going in there.

If you are sending yourself test messages they will not download from the webmail service. You need to test it from another email address.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal