Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

550 Relay problem in Outlook

This is a discussion on 550 Relay problem in Outlook within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I started getting this problem yesterday too in Outlook 2007. It occurs intermittently so it's hard to pin down, and ...

davestephen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01277
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 550 Relay problem in Outlook

I started getting this problem yesterday too in Outlook 2007.

It occurs intermittently so it's hard to pin down, and it doesn't seem to happen when I use one of my sky.com email address. I prefer to use my previous ISP's email address as my default outgoing email address (personal, not business) as I've been using it for so many years.

The error message comes from "System Administrator" and appears in my Inbox instantly, as though the request has never reached the smtp server. Another minor annoyance it that it causes Outlook to remove the intended email recipients from its list of addressee prompts (although fortunately not from the Address Book).

Can anyone explain how "Relay" works please? That might give us a clue.

Maybe it's another of the Google Mail teething problems.....

2. Advertisement
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think I've solved this, at least on my system. kimc was right in an earlier post, the smtp server should be set to smtp.tools.sky.com since Sky switched to Gmail. I had forgotten to do this for my non-Sky outgoing email address and I guess Sky are no longer fully supporting the previous smtp server which caused the relay error.
      (Remember to change all the outgoing mail settings in the Outlook "Accounts Settings/More Settings" tab as described in Sky's email about the changeover to gmail.)

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The problem is that using Outlook (or any other email client) and the new ...tools.sky... address means that your email will have your sky address injected into the email header, and some email clients will display:

"from yourname@sky.com on behalf of yourname@yourbusiness.com" in the body of the email

Using Sky for your own domain or work emails isn't really viable any more.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Sky TV:
      Thanks

You're right! Sent a message to myself and the header says it is from myusername@sky.com so the outgoing message isn't being relayed via my old ISP. Not happy about that at all but can't see any way around it.

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There isn't a way round it unfortunately, you'll have to find another email provider if you want to do that.

I've said it a lot, so forgive me if you've read it elsewhere on this site... If you have a domain name then you should try using Google Apps. It's free to use and gives you proper email for your domain name.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Cobbies Hold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

simple solution to this.
      I emailed sky with this problem and said there ISP was "not fit for purpose" and is conflicts with our rights. I said I would cancel the contract under this condition unless corrected.
      Sky replied quickly and corrected the problem.
      I am now using outlook 2007 with multiple domain address accounts with no problems. One other thing to do is set up your auto send and receive to longer periods this can help as well.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

well seeing as Sky is a consumer BB service it is indeed fit for purpose!! if you're that deperate for work emails actually spend a tenner for 2 years odd of POP3 access to your own domain...

altho im curious as to what Sky did to get it working - as if Sky can do it why do Google as standard?

EDIT: Outlook can be used with multiple emails accounts anyway - surely if you have another domain address you use that domains mail servers...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Cobbies Hold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, Just got an other 550 relay report.
      phoned sky tech support and and the ISP is not fit for purpose they have released me from the contract and I'm free to move to an other ISP.
      In responce to previous comment "if you're that deperate for work emails actually spend a tenner for 2 years odd of POP3 access to your own domain..." from IAmNotTheEnemy.
      I purchased Outlook 2007 as part of office 2007 Pro and paid some hundreds of pounds only to be told I can not use it and my previous email accounts are also unavailable which I have owned for ten years plus. This I not desprate just common sence in saving money and time. If your happy to put up with this problem that is your choice, in my case it is a problem which is unworkable as other ISP's offer cheaper connectiopns without the restrictions as with sky.com
      I have a strong IT background with an indepth knowledge and tried all solutions offered and available from sky, microsoft and my domain host this only workable solution has now been taken and IAmNotTheEnemy should read up on consumer rights before resonding with half-cocked none constuctive replies.
      I am happy with sky as a whole and hold no bad feelings they are a good company and offer good services regarding t.v. and phone the Broadband is still good to some people who do not rquire private domain use.
      As I'm leaving sky broadband there will be no need for me the continue this forum but I thank all who have helped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12