Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Downloads at Outlook express only work on the day you enable it

This is a discussion on Downloads at Outlook express only work on the day you enable it within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've had Skoogle for about 2 weeks now, and Yes I have read and followed all the instructions and ...

FrankM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wakefield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Downloads at Outlook express only work on the day you enable it

Hi,
      I've had Skoogle for about 2 weeks now, and Yes I have read and followed all the instructions and tips. I even rang SKY and had 2 additional user email accounts unlocked and got everything working fine. I like to use Outlook Express to recieve my mail. I enabled this successfully- But only on the day I did it and only for that one occasion.

Example :- in Google mail I go into Mail Settings > forwarding and pop>enable POP for all mail , keep skys copy in the inbox. (outlook is already configured and works fine)
      Save the changes , then open outlook Express....and Bingo ! all my e-mails addressed to me at Sky download to outlook express.
      Wonderful, I think until later in the day or the following day when I don't get any e-mails into outlook Express.

So I go to Googlemail and find several e-mail in the inbox just sitting there. No matter how many times I try to force OE to get this mail, it doesn't.

So If I go through the above procedure again to enable POP downloads , It works again ! Outlook Express 6 downloads my mail .... Until the next time.

Is it just me ? does anyone else have this problem ?
      Last edited by FrankM; 24-11-07 at 02:12 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Downloads at Outlook express only work on the day you enable it

Try this setting instead:

Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on

Thanks

Alan, I've tried that. Makes no difference..

Bill Fenton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I just went on OE yesterday and simply forgot that I have to ask OE to receive messages.....Take it that you are pressing Send/Receive on Outlook Express in order to download ?

Bill

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Broadband
      Router: Plusnet Hub Zero 2704n
      Thanks

@ FrankM

You need to got into Google Mail Settings No2 when messages are accessed with POP and select either delete Sky's copy or archive Sky's copy NOT save Sky's copy in the inbox. The massages in your inbox will be messages you have already downloaded with Outlook or test messages you have sent to yourself. Because you selected save Sky's copy in the inbox that's what it's doing! Dont forget to click save changes.
      Hope this helps

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youravinalarrrf View Post
      @ FrankM

You need to got into Google Mail Settings No2 when messages are accessed with POP and select either delete Sky's copy or archive Sky's copy NOT save Sky's copy in the inbox. The massages in your inbox will be messages you have already downloaded with Outlook or test messages you have sent to yourself. Because you selected save Sky's copy in the inbox that's what it's doing! Dont forget to click save changes.
      Hope this helps
      Actually I've tried just about every option and combination of options already including Save a copy in Archives. What happenned was I thought I was not getting any mail because there was no mail dpwnloaded to Outlook and aparently no mail in Google either (no change to inbox contents). After a day or so I clicked on ALL MAIL to find it full of mail I didn't know I had.

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Broadband
      Router: Plusnet Hub Zero 2704n
      Thanks

Am I right in assuming your problem has been resolved as All Mail is all the mail you've ever sent or received, but have not deleted?

Once you can both send and receive with Outlook Express you should only ever need to go into Skoogle to check if anything has been filtered into Spam by mistake.

From Google Help Centre

What is 'All Mail'?
      All Mail is your archive. It's a storage place for all the mail you've ever sent or received, but have not deleted.
      You can see a list of archived messages by clicking All Mail. Archived messages are also available by searching, and under any assigned labels.

To archive mail:
      Select the message(s) you would like to archive by ticking the box(es) next to the sender's name.
      Click Archive at the top of your inbox.
      You also can archive mail after you open it -- just click Archive along the top of the message.

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

May I ask what type of emails are not getting through to you?

It is important to know that you cannot send email to yourself, so test messages will sit in the webmail inbox and not be downloaded.

Also, if you happen to have activated any filters and have set them to move messages into the archive when delivered, then they too will not be downloaded to your POP client.

anyway, if you could let me know the type of messages that are not downloading that would be a help.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Thanks

Thank for you replies folks, I'm postponing the response I was going to post (which was that I was receiving NO sky mail at all into Outlook Express apart from after doing the necessary on Googlemail) - because I suddenly recieved an e-mail adressed to my Sky address , downloaded to OE without any visits to Googlemail. I've been here before, where I thought my problems were solved only to find it was a flash in the pan and OE had later stopped recieving again.

I need to observe things over the next few days to see if it is permanently fixed. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Yes it happenned again folks. Outlook Express was happily downloading all my Sky mail , even those to my secondary sky addresses which I had arranged to be accepted/got by my main username Googlemail server.

It lasted for about 4 days. After which Outlook was still successfully recieving e-mail addressed to my other sky addresses, but had stopped recieving mail to my main username e-mail address. Because I had chosen option 2 (archive skys copy in Google mail) I eventually found the e-mails which Outlook had not downloaded under "all mail" - in other words archived.

So in forwarding and POP I opted to dowload all mail including existing (in order to get the missed ones into Outlook ) It did exactly that , downloaded about 60 e-mails most of which I'd already downloaded before.

So now its working OK again - but on experiment 2 - Set to leave a copy in Googles in box. I'll try this for a week and see how long it works for.......

Edit :- yes I was aware that you can't test with e-mails adressed to yourself. These e-mails are sent by finance websites and friends.
      Last edited by FrankM; 03-12-07 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to address a question asked by a correspondent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast