Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pop mail crap. Sky kiss goodbye to 515 pa from me

This is a discussion on Pop mail crap. Sky kiss goodbye to 515 pa from me within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Additional (already established) User Account will not login in via Windows Mail It's a typical sky lashup and I have ...

Sky's The Limit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Pop mail crap. Sky kiss goodbye to 515 pa from me

Additional (already established) User Account will not login in via Windows Mail

It's a typical sky lashup and I have had enough !

Kiss goodbye to my annual Sky TV and Broadband subscription of 516 per year SKY.

Everything was working fine until Sky changed my mail to Google mail !!

I am not a PC newbie, and I know how to follow Sky's simple instructions. In fact I have done so with my own sky email account settings for POP mail and its working fine via Windows Mail

However my daughter account that has been established for some considerable time will not !!

Using the same login and password on the Sky email and tools portal and she can log into her account. Set the pop mail settings up in Windows mail 'to the letter and in exactly the same fashion as mine THAT WORKS and all I get is repeated server login/password errors.

Go back to the portal and everything is fine. I have enabled popmail in the settings on the sky emailtools portal by the way.

I have spent three evenings and late nights trying to overcome this, but now I am tired and have had enough.

I am cancelling both my Sky TV and braodband subscriptions (can do that now its been more that a year) as a token of my displeasure and annoyance.

I', taking my custom elsewhere...more should do same.
      " A man is as young as the woman he feels "

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Pop mail crap. Sky kiss goodbye to 515 pa from me

you could try Virgin or tiscali or freeview and get BB from anyone

boocat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It might not help you but I've had the same issues since I switched to sky last week.

However, I have my own domain names, one for me, one for my wife and one for my company. I therefore just use the domain name hosts to redirect my email from my ISP ( so I can change my ISP without changing my email addresses ).

Now, this works okay for my main sky email account but when I tried to set up two additional POP users ( like sky say you can do, up to a maximum of 10 ), this fails. The users are set up but they have no inboxes so my email client can't connect. So what I did was set up two new googlemail accounts, which work just fine, and redirect them.

So, you could buy your own domain name for a fiver a year, set up googlemail and use that instead - it's better than the hassle of cancelling all your sky stuff.

Boocat

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sky's The Limit View Post
      Additional (already established)

I am cancelling both my Sky TV and braodband subscriptions (can do that now its been more that a year) as a token of my displeasure and annoyance.

I'm, taking my custom elsewhere...more should do same.
      I can understand being very frustrated at not getting what you are paying for, but surely you are biting off you nose to spite your face?

My advice would be to set up a new gmail or yahoo email account and then log into your daughters webmail and under forwarding set it to forward any mail to that address to the new one.

Unless you are not getting value from you other Sky services (Sky TV or your Broadband), don't cancel just for a cruddy email account.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Locoman1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01795
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i have just got my email account working with sky using tools.sky.com, with also outlook express 6, thats with my main username and password. but my additional user name does not exist, it got lost in the transfer. i have tried to create my additional user name with sky but says this name is already been used, i emailes the customor support if there anyway i can get this email account back.
      best regards Locoman1

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_sky_goat View Post
      I can understand being very frustrated at not getting what you are paying for, but surely you are biting off you nose to spite your face?
      I agree completely, from comments made in this forum I get the impression that people think that Sky are the only email provider around. If you can't get the Sky email service working then why not try Gmail (they allow you to download to your mail client) or the likes of Yahoo or Hotmail. Or even better get yourself your own domain then you can have as many addresses as you want. Another load of free providers can be found here - Top 12 Free Email Services - About Email

With regrads to the OP, I managed to change over my mail account to the new Google service using the tools.com server address but my additional accounts would not work so I used Gmail server settings instead which are working perfectly.
      Last edited by Alan b; 17-11-07 at 06:37 PM.

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

biting off you nose to spite your face?
      cutting off your nose to spite your face...

must spell check my posts before hitting submit...

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

boocat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cutting off your nose to spite your face...

must spell check my posts before hitting submit...

I don't think spell checkers can correct what you really wanted to say

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

no offence, but you are getting what you pay for.....you can log into the web portal and you have an internet connection - this is what Sky supply as contract of service....the fact you can't set up an email client is to do with Google screwing it up.

I understand the frustration but you won't be able to get out of the contract just because you can't use a mail client....unless you want to pay the remainder of the contract. And I doubt VERY much if writing to someone would do anything either
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky's The Limit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

< I understand the frustration but you won't be able to get out of the contract just because you can't use a mail client....unless you want to pay the remainder of the contract >

No remainder of contract to pay ! .....been with them more than a year now.

When Sky say that they are changing something as an improvement, then they should at least make sure that it does not negatively effect what they already provide for people. If the so called improvement provides less than it did before, then I wouldn't think that falls into the category of 'improvement' myself

Personally I wouldn't call, lost features, lost email accounts, lost emails, lost contacts and the inability to copy (cc) oneself to your address on a sent email and download it using POP mail (just read the problems and complaints on this forum) much of an improvement....more of a failure.

And as for blaming Google. Well it was Sky that selected them as a partener in this project, so SKY (who are the ones that benefit from the subscriptions) should have been more careful in validating what Google was supplying and testing in all aspects before the cut-over date.

Unless of course all of the losses and problems were an intended part of the SKY package...but I would think and hope not !
      " A man is as young as the woman he feels "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast