Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Email on Outlook Password retention

This is a discussion on Email on Outlook Password retention within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; [QUOTE=lesking;109292]From what you have said, it seems that you have several email accounts with each one collecting mail in respect ...

daveyboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Email on Outlook Password retention

[QUOTE=lesking;109292]From what you have said, it seems that you have several email accounts with each one collecting mail in respect of a different address.

Before you get into 'try this and try that' mode, can I suggest that you go into the email account settings and, for each account, re-enter the password and run the 'Test Account Settings' routine to see if it is a particular account which is causing problems and whether the problem relates to the input or output mail server.

As a general principal, the 'save password' setting doesn't operate until you have successfully made an account log-on and it may be that one failed account log-on is upsetting the rest.

Indeed, a failure to connect for any reason will probably require the password to be entered subsequently

Thanks for your advice Les. I have been into the account settings and ticked all the boxes that you stated, tested the settings it works, then came out of it, went back in clicked send/receive and guess what.............................................. .................................................. .................................................h ad to enter password again for all 4 email address.

Incase anyone missed it, i have 2 Sky email addresses and 2 Ntl email addresses.

Daveyboy

2. Advertisement
      lesking is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020 7628
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

[QUOTE=daveyboy;109355]
      Quote Originally Posted by lesking View Post
      guess what.............................................. .................................................. .................................................h ad to enter password again for all 4 email address.

Incase anyone missed it, i have 2 Sky email addresses and 2 Ntl email addresses.

Daveyboy
      Oh Well--Worth a try.

I 'never say never' without trying things out but I don't really see how the router settings would have any bearing on this as the passwords are held within your PC and the mail appears to work apart from the password problem.

You mention that you are using 'Office XP' which, if I understand you correctly, is the version before Office 2003 (current version is Office 2007) so I suspect that an incompatibility with Vista is a very likely source of the problem.

Your version of Outlook would therefore be 2002

Having said all of that, I had a quick look on the Microsoft Knowledge base which has the following article which would seem to be about this very problem.

Save password setting not retained in Outlook or Outlook Express

We are all learning from you here.

Regards

Les

daveyboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

Sorry for the lateness in getting back to you with the result from that link. I have been fixing my Sky email like many people and have just managed to get that fixed ( i think) so back onto this one.

I made a new data file and then set it to default just like the step by step guide suggested - came out of outlook went back in and clicked sent/receive and it asked for all the passwords again.

I am tempted to just upgrade to Outlook 2007 but i worry that it still might not fix the problem and then i will have wasted 90 and i doubt that PC world will accept the excuse and give me a refund.

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Like you say your using vista, so why dont you start a fresh
      and have ago with widows mail seeing as it comes free with windows
      Vista.

lesking is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020 7628
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daveyboy View Post
      Hi

I am tempted to just upgrade to Outlook 2007 but i worry that it still might not fix the problem
      Trouble with this game is that there are no guaranteed answers till you give it a try but I do feel ' in my bones' that compatibility with Vista may well be the problem.

Several years back, I recall installing Office 97 on a friend's Windows-XP computer because he didn't want to shell-out for the up-to-date version.

It worked fine on the face of it but started exhibiting sporadic problems when he added another user.

Also,I generally find that there are a host of minor problems when ugrading from one version of Office to another--things like the font of Word documents changing or Excel macros suddenly failing to work.

In the end, he just spent the money on a compatible version of Office.

I wonder if the Vista 'Windows Mail' (a repackaging of Outlook Express) might serve your purpose without any extra expense though Outlook is a rather more comprehensive product.

I have been avoiding Vista until it 'matures' but you should be able to import your Outlook addresses and mail from the Outlook.pst file.

Giving it a try won't upset the existing Outlook setup.

Regards

Les

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12