Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

New Sky Email Tips & Solutions - so far...

This is a discussion on New Sky Email Tips & Solutions - so far... within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The instructions given are correct, the settings you are using are the basic gmail ones which may not continue to ...

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Email Tips & Solutions - so far...

The instructions given are correct, the settings you are using are the basic gmail ones which may not continue to work for you if and when things are finally sorted out on the email system.
      The migration was tested across a period of time and for quite a while we had people on 2 different email systems while the change over was occuring. Nobody is about to admit that the migration went well and unfortunately for a relatively small percentage of people there are still issues with the system.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spurs_27 View Post
      i currently have 2 emails accounts with sky, my main one i can access through outlook express , i can access my additional account through the sky homepage but not outlook express . I have tried to unlock the account via the link you have provided but this stated username/password incorrect.

Do i need to just wait? or is there something i am missing.

Have you enabled POP access through your sky email and tools page on Sky.com? Also some people have to reset their password using the "forgotten password" link on the login screen for the system to catch up with them. There are however still people with the issue that you are describing that are having to be escalated to the email team for resolution.

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floyd66 View Post
      I have been experiencing the same problems as most with the new skoogle email 'service'

I followed the instructions as supplied by Sky and although I could send I could not receive my mail unless I logged onto the Sky portal

No matter how many times I tried to enter my password when prompted for Incoming Mail, I could not receive mail through Outlook 2003 at all

After a lot of soul searching I changed my Account Settings as follows:

Username = full sky.com email address
      Password = as per the sky portal

Do not select logon using SPA

Incoming Mail Server ( POP3 ) - I changed this to pop.gmail.com
      Outgoing Mail Server ( SMTP ) - I changed this to smtp.gmail.com

In 'more settings' select outgoing server requires authentication and use same settings as incoming server

Server Port Numbers - Incoming ( POP3 ) set to 995 and require SSL
      Outgoing ( SMTP ) set to 465 and require SSL

As soon as I clicked OK all my mail started filtering through - I then logged onto my 'other' email accounts and sent test mail and they were received without any problems

Why then do Sky instruct users to use the wrong settings through Outlook???

I am seriously considering switching ISP after this pathetic 'switchover'

Have the IT Team at Sky never heard of Change Control Meetings, Testing, or Release Management?
      Glad you are sorted. Sky's servers are correct and their instructions are accurate, but it is fair to say that using the gmail servers makes good sense as it may bypass some problems for some users.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pd.ryder View Post
      Why did they have to fanny about with this?? Damned annoying!
      I've had the previously posted problems due to accessing emails via Pocket Outlook (PPC) and Outlook 2007 (home PC). It's particularly annoying when out and about when I haven't read all the email delivered to my PPC as if if do another Send/Receive (or a timed Send/Receive) the as yet unread emails disappear! Arrrgh!
      Sky's support team seem clueless as to how to stop this happening. I'm just relieved I avoided the "Delete Sky's Copy" tick-box.

If I use the RECENT method, will I end up with multiple copies of email after repeated Send/Receive's?
      Hi, you need to use recent mode to get mail on both systems. You only get all mail on the first send/receive, subsequent ones just get the new stuff.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've only just seen your message.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal

spurs_27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Have you enabled POP access through your sky email and tools page on Sky.com? Also some people have to reset their password using the "forgotten password" link on the login screen for the system to catch up with them. There are however still people with the issue that you are describing that are having to be escalated to the email team for resolution.
      i did enable the pop access for both accounts, only my main one will work, i will try the reset password later, dont see why i should have to do that as i can log into my account just not use it through outlook express

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sometimes the password goes out of synch across the different servers, it may not help but it's something you can do to ensure that the password you are using is the one expected on all servers. Odds are that it is just something that has been messed up during the migration and will need escalation to the email group.

pd.ryder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stroud
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Thanks muchly, I'll give it a go on both devices.

Err, that was supposed to have included the quote from the_sky_goat -- cheers chap!

woollers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Middlesex
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

8 Days later ...

My sky.com e-mail account has been out of action since the Sky e-mail migration on 7 November. Over two hours of calls to Sky's Broadband Technical team and a further call this morning as my query had been passed to the "escalation" team on Monday and still no contact from them 3 days later. Apparently the "escalation" team are not contactable by phone but... my problem has been "entered onto a spreadsheet". Fantastic news !

Sky can give me no timescale of when I will again have access to my sky.com e-mail address and 8 day's worth of unanswered e-mails. The problems :

1. I can't even get onto the sky.com/tools page; I either get a blank page or I'm simply redirected to mysky.com. How can I possibly change the POP settings without accessing this?

2. Password, although definitely entered correctly is never recognised.
      But - I can log on to mysky successfully with my primary (the one they gave me) e-mail address - then can get no further as I'm only greeted by this helpful info:

Hello. You've come to the right place for new Sky Email and Tools, but you're a little bit early. We're upgrading everyone in stages to make sure we do it securely. Your upgrade hasn't happened quite yet but you can still carry on using your original email service and getting your emails by logging onto Email Redirect. Rest assured we'll switch you soon and we'll let you know the minute it's done. Click here to go to SkyBroadband.
      (and guess what - there's no longer such a site.....)

either that or the equally helpful :
      "An error has occurred. This portlet is unavailable at this time".

As Sky technical people have been no help whatsover, I'm hoping some much more technically savvy people on this forum can suggest something.... anything that I can try. I've just tried setting incoming mail to "pop.gmail.com" as suggested above - still nothing.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woollers View Post
      8 Days later ...

My sky.com e-mail account has been out of action since the Sky e-mail migration on 7 November. Over two hours of calls to Sky's Broadband Technical team and a further call this morning as my query had been passed to the "escalation" team on Monday and still no contact from them 3 days later. Apparently the "escalation" team are not contactable by phone but... my problem has been "entered onto a spreadsheet". Fantastic news !

Sky can give me no timescale of when I will again have access to my sky.com e-mail address and 8 day's worth of unanswered e-mails. The problems :

1. I can't even get onto the sky.com/tools page; I either get a blank page or I'm simply redirected to mysky.com. How can I possibly change the POP settings without accessing this?

2. Password, although definitely entered correctly is never recognised.
      But - I can log on to mysky successfully with my primary (the one they gave me) e-mail address - then can get no further as I'm only greeted by this helpful info:

Hello. You've come to the right place for new Sky Email and Tools, but you're a little bit early. We're upgrading everyone in stages to make sure we do it securely. Your upgrade hasn't happened quite yet but you can still carry on using your original email service and getting your emails by logging onto Email Redirect. Rest assured we'll switch you soon and we'll let you know the minute it's done. Click here to go to SkyBroadband.
      (and guess what - there's no longer such a site.....)

either that or the equally helpful :
      "An error has occurred. This portlet is unavailable at this time".

As Sky technical people have been no help whatsover, I'm hoping some much more technically savvy people on this forum can suggest something.... anything that I can try. I've just tried setting incoming mail to "pop.gmail.com" as suggested above - still nothing.
      Hi there,

Until you've got into the email portal then there is no point doing anything else. Nothing on your email client will work until you've enabled POP in webmail.

It looks like you are one of the unlucky ones who has a corrupt account. Something messed up between sky.com and the new portal.

I presume you've tried the account unlock page and going directly to the webmail portal at http://mail.tools.sky.com

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal

woollers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Middlesex
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_sky_goat View Post
      Hi there,

Until you've got into the email portal then there is no point doing anything else. Nothing on your email client will work until you've enabled POP in webmail.

It looks like you are one of the unlucky ones who has a corrupt account. Something messed up between sky.com and the new portal.

I presume you've tried the account unlock page and going directly to the webmail portal at http://mail.tools.sky.com

Thanks for the suggestion but I have already tried the various links suggested on these boards including that one - which takes me through to "mysky" then when I enter my username + pw I get the following reply :
      We are unable to process your request at this time, please try again later.

The Sky "advisor" mentioned "corrupt" accounts (polite term!) but could offer no real help or advice. His one suggestion was to e-mail all my contacts with the single sky.com e-mail address in my household which was successfully "migrated". It's hardly used and belongs to my eight year old so not a viable suggestion at all. I guess a week's worth of e-mails to my main e-mail account will never see the light of day. This looks increasingly like a lost cause.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 30-12-11, 10:42 PM
    2. 10-05-09, 05:29 PM
    3. 24-12-08, 12:53 PM
    4. 17-10-08, 12:14 PM
    5. 11-04-08, 07:27 PM
    6. 06-04-08, 04:27 PM
    7. 01-04-08, 02:51 PM
    8. 25-03-08, 06:25 PM
    9. 13-03-08, 11:05 AM
    10. 05-03-08, 08:29 PM