Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Email From Address?

This is a discussion on Email From Address? within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by the_sky_goat Or you could use google apps and to achieve the same thing for free... Do you ...

Chris_H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01273
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Email From Address?

Quote Originally Posted by the_sky_goat View Post
      Or you could use google apps and to achieve the same thing for free...

Do you mean Gmail? If so, it does the same thing as Sky email and always adds the 'sender' address which is you Gmail address below the 'From' address of your own domain address.

2. Advertisement
      the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H View Post
      Do you mean Gmail? If so, it does the same thing as Sky email and always adds the 'sender' address which is you Gmail address below the 'From' address of your own domain address.

No, I mean Google Apps. It's basically Gmail for your own domain name. Follow the link in my signature to find out more if you want.

You also get google docs, calendar, branded under you domain name, a custom start page and a free website (although at the moment you have to use their page designer, so it's fairly basic).

The nice thing is that you can pick and choose which parts to use. So if you just want the email and calendar service you can set that up, and host you website elsewhere.

I have all my domains pointing to my google apps account so me@domain1.com is the same as me@domain2.com and all comes into the same inbox, and it also collects my sky email.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Thanks

No, I mean Google Apps. It's basically Gmail for your own domain name. Follow the link in my signature to find out more if you want.

You also get google docs, calendar, branded under you domain name, a custom start page and a free website (although at the moment you have to use their page designer, so it's fairly basic).

The nice thing is that you can pick and choose which parts to use. So if you just want the email and calendar service you can set that up, and host you website elsewhere.

I have all my domains pointing to my google apps account so me@domain1.com is the same as me@domain2.com and all comes into the same inbox, and it also collects my sky email.
      Interesting. Unfortunately I can't change my CNAME address in my domain control panel, only the ANAME. Drat!!

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Shame. Can you modify your MX records? if so then the alternative to a CNAME record is to upload a special HTML file to your webspace, once google see the file they can verify that you own it, then it's onwards as normal.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Thanks

Shame. Can you modify your MX records? if so then the alternative to a CNAME record is to upload a special HTML file to your webspace, once google see the file they can verify that you own it, then it's onwards as normal.
      I don't have web space with them. The URL is forwarded to my old ISPs free web space. This will go soon as well as I've moved to Sky. Never mind, it was a good idea and thanks for pointing it oput.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyeung View Post
      It's still not the desired results, as i would the following instead:
      XXX@domainname.com

Any ideas people?
      Unfortunately I don't think this is possible. If Sky, or any ISP for that matter, allowed outgoing mail to be sent from anyone@anydomain.com then their mail servers would quickly be blacklisted as open relays. If you Google "open relay" you will find the definition and see what I mean.

Restricting outgoing mail to @sky.com addresses is a standard SPAM prevention measure. The only exception to the rule that I have experienced was ntl:/Virgin, whose outgong mailservers could presumably only be accessed by their closed network cable users, so they used to allow what you require.

hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      Unfortunately I don't think this is possible. If Sky, or any ISP for that matter, allowed outgoing mail to be sent from anyone@anydomain.com then their mail servers would quickly be blacklisted as open relays. If you Google "open relay" you will find the definition and see what I mean.

Restricting outgoing mail to @sky.com addresses is a standard SPAM prevention measure. The only exception to the rule that I have experienced was ntl:/Virgin, whose outgong mailservers could presumably only be accessed by their closed network cable users, so they used to allow what you require.
      Actually that's not entirely true.
      What i require actually works fine for folk on the old email exchange within sky. A few mates of mine are sending emails using their domain name without any issues. The only difference is that they are still on the old mailing exchange and have not been migrated over yet.

I was with virgin in the past and yes this also worked fine.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

What i require actually works fine for folk on the old email exchange within sky. A few mates of mine are sending emails using their domain name without any issues. The only difference is that they are still on the old mailing exchange and have not been migrated over yet.

I see what you mean - I am still on the "old" system and just tried it with my own domain address. I am sure it did not work when I first set up my Sky email account in April so something must have changed. I will have a look at the internet headers of the email and see if they give me a clue!

EDIT: Checked the received email headers at the office and it includes my IP address so Sky's old mail server must now be validating sent email that way instead of by domain name.

Perhaps they cannot get Gmail servers to validate that way?
      Last edited by eyemdee; 30-10-07 at 09:31 PM.

versatile is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: THWM
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I use Outlook and found the same. Previously, using smtp.sky.com for outgoing mail I could set my domain name as the sender and that alone appeared in the sender field at the recipient. Today, after migration, using smtp.tools.sky.com always sets the sender field to "XXX@sky.com on behalf of" my domain name. There doesn't seem to be an option to fix this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by versatile View Post
      .........There doesn't seem to be an option to fix this.
      There isn't!! This is a bad weakness in the Sky email system for people with their own domain names. That is why I have to pay extra to use another service. However, I'm not complaining too much as I only pay 5 per month to Sky for the BB and am happy with everything else!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast