Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

receiving email problem

This is a discussion on receiving email problem within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Sky Goat, I have again followed your set up instructions to the letter. I'm not getting any authentication error ...

Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: receiving email problem

Hi Sky Goat,

I have again followed your set up instructions to the letter. I'm not getting any authentication error messages but still no mails are being forwarded to my mail client (OE6) Just like my sky/google account.

Again, Thanks for your help & I'm sure that the settings are correct.

I'm still convinced that thre is a technical fault somewhere, the exchange perhaps, I really don't know.

It's odd that I did get the "welcome to Googlemail" mail & the "welcome to sky" mail on the forst logging attemt to each account but nothing else will come through.

Are there any settings on the web portals that perhaps stop mails from external sources (other ISP's) You know, Like some sort of filter? I suppose if they had been filtered then the mails would be in the spam folder but they are not. They are in the Inbox folder.

2. Advertisement
      the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lavillegour View Post
      May I jump in here Sky Goat. You seem to know what you are talking about.
      Would appreciate some advice...
      I have just joined SKY.
      I wish to use email as I did with my previous isp by using Outlook Express.
      I believe that I have got Sky Email facility but don't know t anything about the google /sky set up or past history of them combining or whatever.
      I have researched these forums and used the SMTP advice I've found but these make NO Difference.
      I still cannot use my old (tried,understod and tested Outlook Express).
      I have contacted SKY by email and their Indian 'help' desk - No intelligent response (Or any response from the email)

I have failed to carry out what should be a simple function.

Should I then sign up for Gmail as you have described or continue to TRY to get THE CORRECT SKY SMTP etc sequence.

MInd you I suppose I COULD commit suicide.....

Hope you feel inclined to help
      Don't commit suicide!

My advice to you, and anyone else still struggling with the Sky email is to abandon it completely.

Aside from the problems that many people seems to be having. The real problem with relying on Sky, or any other ISP for your email, is that if you decide to leave then you generally can't take your email account with you. You end up having to email all your contacts, and change all your online identities. This is a major hassle if you have more than 5 friends or if you have signed up for a number of different online services.

The solution is to keep your email independent of your internet provider.

I use Gmail (well actually a variant of it called google apps), but there are several others out there - hotmail and yahoo for example. I think gmail is by a long way the best email service available - free or paid for.

Gmail gives you unlimited storage, proper secure POP access (so you can use outlook express or any other email client) and of course means that if you leave sky in a year or two, your online life remains untouched.

Gmail also has the advantage of being able to check other POP mail accounts on your behalf so when sky sort out the teething troubles you can use gmail to check the account for any service messages.

Given that you have just switched ISP's you are at the perfect junction to break free from being tied to a service provider and choosing an independent email service.

There are a lot of people posting here with problems and confusion. My advice is use Gmail.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle_Boy66 View Post
      Hi Sky Goat,

I have again followed your set up instructions to the letter. I'm not getting any authentication error messages but still no mails are being forwarded to my mail client (OE6) Just like my sky/google account.

Again, Thanks for your help & I'm sure that the settings are correct.

I'm still convinced that thre is a technical fault somewhere, the exchange perhaps, I really don't know.

It's odd that I did get the "welcome to Googlemail" mail & the "welcome to sky" mail on the forst logging attemt to each account but nothing else will come through.

Are there any settings on the web portals that perhaps stop mails from external sources (other ISP's) You know, Like some sort of filter? I suppose if they had been filtered then the mails would be in the spam folder but they are not. They are in the Inbox folder.
      Hi Mate,
      Right, let's ignore sky for a minute and concentrate just on googlemail (gmail).

1. Is it the case that you can log on to gmail online at www.gmail.com and send and receive email happily?
      2. Can you send an email from outlook (or whatever client) and have it arrive at the right destination?
      3. If I send you an email will it arrive at www.gmail.com

Let's start with these questions and see what happens.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal

Thanks

Hi Mate,

To answer your questions, Yes, Yes & Yes!! If you send me mail It am !00% sure It will be in my GMail inbox on the web portal but If I use my mail client (OE6) to log in it will tell me that I have no mails to download through pop.

Well, o.k. it won't actually "tell me" but the fact it receives no mail & no errors tells me that.

TBH, Now that I've got that bluebottle account set up & working properly, I might be better off doing what you suggested to lavillegour & just abandon the sky / google mail service. I can at least use that with any ISP Which as you say, will come in handy if I need to change my ISP for any reason.

The only reason I'm still persuing a solution to the sky mail problem is I just don't like being beaten by a computer!!

Cheers!!!

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

but If I use my mail client (OE6) to log in it will tell me that I have no mails to download through pop.
      If you have set up Gmail to forward all your mail onto you, you can have it arrive in your Outlook inbox if you want.

Thanks

That's the thing Alan, I have set it up through the web portal (enabled POP) but when checking for new mails, OE6 just doesn't "see" the ones in my web portal inbox.

Snoopy,

I know it's a long shot but are you connected to the Hamilton Exchange by any chance? I ask because I am. I have also been trying to access my skymail account with my parents ISP, blueyonder (telewest) & no luck receiving mails.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You don't happen to be trying to access the gmail with two machines do you? Or with two applications (OE and Thunderbird) at the same time (or within minutes of each other)?

Again, this is relevant to the gmail account. I can't really comment on the sky mail by google as I don't have it - but I guess the same thing applies.

In my travels setting up gmail accounts for others I have discovered that you can't check gmail via POP on more than one device without it having a wobbly. Once it has locked up you sit there with each machine or program cancelling out the other one - no mail arrives. You can still access it via the web portal and you don't get any errors when you do a send/receive.

Essentially, when one device checks email it marks that it has been downloaded by POP and not to do it again.

Bit of a long shot in this case, but there is a way to check - if you change your username in your email client to "recent:username@googlemail.com" (minus the quotes) then it will ignore the flag set on the account and re-download all email.

Overall though, you are right - if you have bluebottle up and running then forget Skymail and Google. One of the nice things about gmail is that you can set it to go and collect your mail from other POP accounts - I have mine set up to pick up mail from Sky. perhaps Bluebottle has something similar? if it doesn't you can do as Alan suggests and just set your sky mail to forward to your bluebottle address.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal

snoopy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That's the thing Alan, I have set it up

Snoopy,

I know it's a long shot but are you connected to the Hamilton Exchange by any chance? I ask because I am. I have also been trying to access my skymail account with my parents ISP, blueyonder (telewest) & no luck receiving mails.
      Miracle_Boy66,

Im really not sure what exchange I am hooked up to. I stay in Grangemouth which is'int too far away, so its possible.

It is bizzare to say the least that some folk change their ISP and can make the change no problem, whereas by following the same instructions, we seem to be locked out from Outlook Express.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

That's the thing Alan, I have set it up through the web portal (enabled POP) but when checking for new mails, OE6 just doesn't "see" the ones in my web portal inbox.
      Are you doing this via Gmail or via Google/Sky, if it is via Gmail what POP and SMTP settings are you using ?

snoopy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      If you have set up Gmail to forward all your mail onto you, you can have it arrive in your Outlook inbox if you want.
      How would I go about that Alan? Is there an idiot guide ie. the screen shots that have been previously posted.

Basically in my outlook express, when I have tried to add a new account, I have set the details as below;

Incoming - pop.sky.com (110)
      Outgoing - pop.sky.com (25)

I have seen varying permutations for the numbers ie. 995 etc For outlook express what combination of numbers should I have for pop and smtp?

Its more annoying as I can send mail, just dont seem to be able to receive

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast