Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky email & my domain name

This is a discussion on Sky email & my domain name within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello I've had my own domain name for a few years now to enable me to keep the same email ...

youreds91 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hucknall
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky email & my domain name

Hello
      I've had my own domain name for a few years now to enable me to keep the same email address if I move ISP.
      I was previously with NTL & F2S, I set up my Domain to forward any mail sent to me@mydomain.co.uk & set the email address in outlook to me@mydomain.co.uk, making the underlying ISP addresses invisible.

I've changed the forwarding to my sky account & kept me@mydomain.co.uk as the email address, but it seems sky still hijack this somehow & the mail arrives as me@sky.com.

Anyone have the answer to this, it seems you can set it up in gmail (which I don't want to use).

Thanks

Youreds!

2. Advertisement
      maggiespaws is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STALYBRIDGE
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky email & my domain name

I'm interested to find out this also. I'm not on sky but my Dad is and he's been having huge problems with just getting his sky email to work. He's been upgraded I think so he now uses the pop.tools and smtp.tools etc but no joy.

To solve the problem I have created a mailbox for him under my domain. He can download his pop3 no problems but cannot send using sky's smtp.

Is this actually possible under sky BB or not?

We just get error messages about verifying sender - a problem which has been mentioned in other threads (relating to McAfee) but the solution is no good. I have followed the instructions correctly but to no avail. If I tick the SSL authentication box (SMTP only of course) he just gets the login dialog box over and over again.

Sky have admitted there is a problem with their email at the minute so I dont know if my problems are relating to that or if Sky are blocking all non-sky email through their SMTP

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maggiespaws View Post
      I'm interested to find out this also. I'm not on sky but my Dad is and he's been having huge problems with just getting his sky email to work. He's been upgraded I think so he now uses the pop.tools and smtp.tools etc but no joy.

To solve the problem I have created a mailbox for him under my domain. He can download his pop3 no problems but cannot send using sky's smtp.

Is this actually possible under sky BB or not?

We just get error messages about verifying sender - a problem which has been mentioned in other threads (relating to McAfee) but the solution is no good. I have followed the instructions correctly but to no avail. If I tick the SSL authentication box (SMTP only of course) he just gets the login dialog box over and over again.

Sky have admitted there is a problem with their email at the minute so I dont know if my problems are relating to that or if Sky are blocking all non-sky email through their SMTP
      It's not non Sky email though, if you have it set up like I do. My domain just forwards to the Sky address & the reply to is set to the domain name.
      I've set the reply to on the Google Tools thing to the domain name & it seems to work OK.
      Do you agree this whole tools thing is a crock of sh*te?
      I might just buy some pop email accounts elsewhere to save the hassle.

Youreds!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just read the email alternatives thread, I'm signing up for 1and1 email, 81p a month for 5 mailboxes.
      Goodbye Sky's very crappy Tools nonsense.
      Last edited by youreds91; 26-09-07 at 09:32 PM.

xonxoff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm curious about this too as I have the same problem.

I have several domains and generally setup various accounts in my email program with the various "reply-to" addresses. All then send via my ISP's smtp server.

I've done this for years and on several ISPs. Of all the ISPs I've had though, sky seems to be the only one that this doesn't work on - the "reply-to" gets hijacked to my sky.com email address.

Interestingly, it worked using smtp.sky.com. All I did was change the smtp server name ffor skoogle mail.

Next stop is to contact sky tech support but I just wanted to add my voice to this as it ain't quite right.

Another solution is to use my own smtp server but nowadays even that causes problems as many recipient's servers won't accept email from dynamic ip addresses. (Flippin' spammers)

Xon

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No point calling TS in this as it's a "feature" of Gmail. You can always use Google Apps instead of the gmail system if you have your own domain.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      No point calling TS in this as it's a "feature" of Gmail. You can always use Google Apps instead of the gmail system if you have your own domain.
      Thanks for the reply. Would you mind elaborating on the "google apps" bit?

Cheers

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xonxoff View Post
      Thanks for the reply. Would you mind elaborating on the "google apps" bit?

Cheers
      Google apps is a customized version of a bunch of google services just for your domain - so you get email, calendar, docs & spreadsheets, and account management for your own domain name. It costs nothing for the standard version and means, amongst other things, that you would be able to send email from your own domain

I use it myself for several domains and can thoroughly recommend it.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_sky_goat View Post
      Google apps is a customized version of a bunch of google services just for your domain - so you get email, calendar, docs & spreadsheets, and account management for your own domain name. It costs nothing for the standard version and means, amongst other things, that you would be able to send email from your own domain

Excellent. Thanks. Will check it out.

kimc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pontefract
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_sky_goat View Post

Thanks for the tip about google apps, I have now set up my domain to use for email and its working great