Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

New Sky Email SMTP and POP Settings (powered by Google)

This is a discussion on New Sky Email SMTP and POP Settings (powered by Google) within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Mart125 Looks like no-one can solve this then? If, as I suspect, it is a server-side problem ...

Smiling Carcass is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Digital
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Email SMTP and POP Settings (powered by Google)

Quote Originally Posted by Mart125 View Post
      Looks like no-one can solve this then?
      If, as I suspect, it is a server-side problem only Sky or Google can fix this- and they seem unwilling or unable to do so.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Prior to about 2005 I used Outlook 2002. My less than 2mb bandwidth meant waiting too long for individual emails to load in webmail. Outlook could download the lot and I could read them at my leisure.

Then, when upgraded to Virgin’s 2mb BB, I ditched Outlook and started using webmail. Now with Sky on their up to 20mb and still using webmail; a colleague showed me Outlook 2007, which I already had as part of Office 2007 but hadn’t used, and I was impressed by the integration of email, calendar etc. and with the colour coding options I thought I’d give it a try since it seemed to make organising a breeze.

Didn’t account for Sky mail.

So, I grappled a bit with my hotmail accounts (I have a total of about 17 accounts with various providers, each with a specific purpose and a couple of ‘throwaway’ accounts I can use) but after using Outlook Connector, I got them to work. Foolishly, I thought that would be the worst of it.

I know Outlook can be temperamental but using 2002 had taught me it can be tamed if one sticks at it.

So, I set up my Gmail and various other accounts. Then came Skymail. Everything worked wonderfully except my primary Skymail account.

I have been at this for 3 days now. I have tried every tip on this thread, several from other places including registry hacks and file deletions and made some ad hoc changes of my own- because I know taming the beast (Outlook) can be non-intuitive.

Nothing prevailed. I gave up and decided to ask Sky for assistance.

So not wishing to pay a fortune in ‘phone calls while being passed around departments until I spoke to a technician worthy of the title, I sought out a freephone number (0800 0512592) and after 5 minutes was able to speak to somebody who was only interested in my details. Once I had satisfied him of who I was, and he realised he would not be able to help, he passed me to a ‘technician’.

After a further 5 minutes or so, I spoke to somebody I thought was representative of the technical department. When I explained my issue to her, she decided I needed to speak to a technician!?

5 minutes later, making a total of around 30 minutes including 3 pointless conversations I spoke to Sky’s idea of a technician.
      The first thing she did was talk me through the settings, even though I had done all this, I went through the motions for 2 reasons.

1. I didn’t want to appear ignorant and dismissive- though my experience says I should have!

2. Even the best, most knowledgeable technician needs to start somewhere, and having built and repaired PC’s for 10 years I know how important it is to check everything the customer tells you.

So, having told her I had done this and asking her to use the google sync tool on their side, (she didn’t seem to be aware of this option) as advised elsewhere in this thread she decided I must only have tried the pop3 settings and began to take me through the IMAP settings (which I had already tried, several times.).Twice during this walkthrough, she asked me to hold while she checked something. The impression was she didn’t know the settings and was checking them. I know them by heart, I’ve done them so many times!
      Another 15 minutes or so wasted. Thank god I am on a 0800 number! Finally, she admitted she didn’t know what was wrong and assumed there was a server error, asking me if she could ring me back after she had made some checks. This was yesterday afternoon. I am still waiting for her to ring back.

Last night, in desperation I sent this email to mysky@bskyb.com and james.murdoch@bskyb.com. -

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************************
      “I am writing to let you know about the terrible service I have received today from the Sky technical department.

My issue is that I have recently obtained Outlook 2007 and want to use it for my several Sky and non-Sky email accounts because of the calendar etc. integration it offers. I have had no problems setting up any email address, even sky secondary addresses. However, my primary Sky account refuses to connect. I know I have the settings right, because my other Sky emails are working.

However, before contacting Sky, I checked and rechecked them several times.

Finally on this webpage- http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-e...ok-2007-a.html

I found this post-

Re: Adding a 2nd Email Account to Outlook 2007

Close outlook first off. Then, go to the above link and unlock the captcha. Open up outlook again and attempt to send/receive. If it's still not working and you're adamant that your outlook settings are correct, and that you've also enabled pop in webmail on the primary user, then call up sky and have them sync the username on their 'google sync tool'.

I tried the unlock link, but the page steadfastly refused to accept my correct login details. So I tok the plunge and telephoned Sky. I spent roughly 30 – 40 minutes on the ‘phone to a ‘technician’ (I use the word loosely) trying all the settings I had already checked several times at the ‘technicians’ request. Twice the technician asked me to hold. She appeared not to be sure of what she was doing.

I asked directly if she could sync my username using the ‘Google sync tool’ as suggested in the post. The only response I got seemed to be of bewilderment and no knowledge of the tool.

Now I believe the tool exists (one cannot always trust information on the internet) because the next and last post was-

Re: Adding a 2nd Email Account to Outlook 2007

Anyway, back to the point of my email, the lady took me through the IMAP settings for the account (which I had already unsuccessfully tried) and again, Outlook could not connect to the servers. The lady then suggested there was a problem on the servers she needed to look into and asked whether she could call ne back when she had resolved the issue.

I agreed. That was about 5 hours ago. I have had no call back. I still cannot use my primary account with Outlook. I am seriously reconsidering my Sky subscription, ‘phone, TV and broadband when the 18 month contract I signed up for ends.

In all honesty, I believe I could successfully argue that ending my contract now would be reasonable under the circumstances.

However, this is my first major issue after many years with Sky Digital and therefore believe you should have a chance to rectify the technical problem and the problem with ‘technicians’.

It appears to be a server-side coding issue which is somehow blocking primary email accounts from connecting through third-party email clients such as outlook.

It appears that your ‘technicians’ do not understand the issue. It appears they have no solution and attempt the obvious to try to rectify it rather than admit they do not know what is causing the issue. When the attempt at rectifying the issue fails, we are left either on the ‘phone waiting or sitting, wasting an afternoon waiting for a call back.

Considering I only get 8 of the ‘possible’ 20 megabyte speeds advertised,, Virgins cable, which offers similar speeds with no drop-out due to the nature of fibre-optic technology is beginning to look more and more attractive.

I offer you the opportunity to change my mind and give me a reason to stay with Sky and to recommend your products to friends and family.”

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************************

I do not know if the email addresses are ‘live’, but since they have not been bounced back by the server, I assume they have arrived somewhere.

I still cannot connect my primary email through Outlook. If I get a response to the email, I will let you know as soon as they let me out of this straight jacket!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

That's a big one!!!

Skimmed through it, you state you only get 8mb from a possible 20, is that because your line is ling or do you have a problem?

Post your router stats, at least we may be able to help with that.

How to get your router statistics

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Yes, and I think 11 consecutive posts on the same subject must be some kind of record.
      If I am understanding you correctly you have managed to set up about 16 different accounts with Skymail and you are unable to get your main account to work? Why not try setting up a second account -
      Setting up additional email accounts

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post

Post your router stats, at least we may be able to help with that.

How to get your router statistics
      Hi,
      Yes. It is a long one, but I did say I’d post my experience in full once I’d read the complete thread without a solution.

So, as to my bandwidth issue, if you could help, that would be great. I’ve had Sky test the line twice. The first time I went up from 6 to my current 8, the second time they said there wasn’t a problem, even though I believe I am not too far from the exchange, they said that could be the problem.

Here’s the stats-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Yes, and I think 11 consecutive posts on the same subject must be some kind of record.
      If I am understanding you correctly you have managed to set up about 16 different accounts with Skymail and you are unable to get your main account to work? Why not try setting up a second account -
      Setting up additional email accounts
      Well, Isitme, I was mainly responding to other posts. But I do believe in having your say. The internet allows us that, more than anything in human history so I bloody well use it!

I haven’t set up 16 individual accounts with Skymail. I have 17 email addresses in total, 16 of which, including 2 secondary sky email accounts, have worked successfully with Outlook. My primary Skymail account is the only one that refuses to work.

The reasons I don’t set up an additional account are several. I already have 3 Sky accounts. My primary account is my contact for forums, technical newsletters, other, more frivolous newsletters. Now, I use Roboform because I have over 13,000 logins. That’s right, 13,000+ logins. While I can’t be sure, I’ll bet a fair chunk of these are registered with my primary email address. And I ain’t changing all of them!

Secondly, I pay Sky for a service and I expect it to work. If it doesn’t I expect them to put it right I don’t expect to have to make alternative arrangements. (yes. I am a Bolshie b*****d!).

But I appreciate your input. Thanks.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

LinkBacks (?)

1. 24-10-13, 11:22 AM
    2. 10-10-08, 03:57 PM
    3. 08-10-08, 01:06 PM
    4. 01-10-08, 11:22 PM
    5. 19-09-08, 09:45 PM
    6. 01-06-08, 03:09 PM
    7. 22-05-08, 05:43 PM
    8. 02-04-08, 11:05 AM
    9. 30-03-08, 02:39 PM