Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Problem with SMTP at the moment?

This is a discussion on Problem with SMTP at the moment? within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Wow, what a frustrating day but changing the outgoing mail setting to mail.sky.com worked like a dream Thanks for the ...

mikelane is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pinner
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Re: Problem with SMTP at the moment?

Wow, what a frustrating day but changing the outgoing mail setting to mail.sky.com worked like a dream

Thanks for the support Guys.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Still working here, has been since about 1.30.pm.

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I tried changing server setting to mail.sky.com However, after some experimentation I found that whilst emails sent to my other Sky addresses were delivered OK, emails to addresses with other ISP's came back with an "unknown user" delivery failure message.

Baron von Nickerbocker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackburn
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The simple solution, which EVERYBODY should take, is just to download your own SMTP server to send email directly from your computer without even having to bother with Sky's poxy SMTP service.

Go to download.com, or any other shareware search facility, search for "SMTP server" - there are lots to choose from. Many (but not all) are freeware, take little memory, are simple to operate - and more importantly, they work.

I tried a couple at random and they worked a treat. With this SMTP server from www.softheap.com/newsmtp.html which I've just put on, you just install the software (which takes about 2 seconds), then in your email client (e.g. Outlook Express) change "smtp.sky.com" to "localhost" - and that's it. Simple as that. This one is only a 30 day trial, but others are free and I think even this one might be if I only install the SMTP server portion rather than the full programme (not sure - anyway, it's working until the trial runs out and there are lots of others to do a similar job.)

Even if Sky's smtp was working, which it isn't, or wasn't, this local SMTP service would be better anyway - it's miles faster than going through a 3rd party SMTP server and you can always send email directly from your laptop no matter which ISP you are logged into. I don't know why I've never used one before and I don't know why nobody else does. I'm not going back to Sky's, even if it ever works again. Thanks Sky - your rubbish service has done me a huge favour!
      Last edited by Baron von Nickerbocker; 11-06-07 at 12:41 AM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

For what it's worth, the Sky SMTP server seems to be back up again for the time being

EviL AnGeL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve case View Post
      For what it's worth, the Sky SMTP server seems to be back up again for the time being

And as of now it's down again spool 25 error or something while trying to send an email 3 times in a rown and now back to the same old connection to server has failed message.

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Nickerbocker View Post
      The simple solution, which EVERYBODY should take, is just to download your own SMTP server to send email directly from your computer without even having to bother with Sky's poxy SMTP service.

Go to download.com, or any other shareware search facility, search for "SMTP server" - there are lots to choose from. Many (but not all) are freeware, take little memory, are simple to operate - and more importantly, they work.

I tried a couple at random and they worked a treat. With this SMTP server from Corporate SMTP Server - high-performance SMTP mail server which I've just put on, you just install the software (which takes about 2 seconds), then in your email client (e.g. Outlook Express) change "smtp.sky.com" to "localhost" - and that's it. Simple as that. This one is only a 30 day trial, but others are free and I think even this one might be if I only install the SMTP server portion rather than the full programme (not sure - anyway, it's working until the trial runs out and there are lots of others to do a similar job.)

Even if Sky's smtp was working, which it isn't, or wasn't, this local SMTP service would be better anyway - it's miles faster than going through a 3rd party SMTP server and you can always send email directly from your laptop no matter which ISP you are logged into. I don't know why I've never used one before and I don't know why nobody else does. I'm not going back to Sky's, even if it ever works again. Thanks Sky - your rubbish service has done me a huge favour!
      Thanks for that, I'll take a look at that link later.

One reason why some people might not have thought about doing it is that a lot of ISPs block outbound port 25 at their end which means you can't have your own SMTP server. As such, should Sky ever decided to block it as well then it work either. Also, and I may be being thick here, wouldn't having your own SMTP server mean that the PC running the software has to be on all the time and have a constant connection to the internet ?

Another link to try (which is completely free IIRC) is Argosoft Mail Server
      Last edited by AdamBrunt; 11-06-07 at 12:37 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just tried again (12:25) and it's OK.

GRM
      GRM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oadby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Nickerbocker View Post
      The simple solution, which EVERYBODY should take, is just to download your own SMTP server to send email directly from your computer
      The slight flaw in that solution is a significant amount of your outbound email may not arrive. Many organisations run filters and blocklists that will delete all mail that is received *directly* from domestic ADSL IP ranges - they find it easier to do that than try and cope with all the spam, trojans et al. domestic connections usually produce.

If you find the Sky smarthost flaky, I can recommend Clara's SMTP service. Ten quid a year gets you SMTP, POP3, mail filtering and a text NNTP feed. Has 'just worked' for the five years or so I've subscribed.
      Last edited by GRM; 11-06-07 at 01:01 PM.

madrat is offline Banned
      Exchange: Hinckley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Well I dont belive it, now the incoming POP is playing up.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast