Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DLM, slow speeds

This is a discussion on DLM, slow speeds within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, this may be a silly question. After recent bad weather causing repeated disconnects, DLM has now finished and decided ...

Ns361 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DLM, slow speeds

Hi, this may be a silly question. After recent bad weather causing repeated disconnects, DLM has now finished and decided that 2560Kb/s is a good speed for our Sky Broadband Unlimited line. Prior to this we were getting 12-14Mb/s with no issues.

I would want to contact Sky to get them to remove the cap on our line, but unfortunately am not the account holder. The account holder is very busy and cannot contact Sky, so no chance of this. My question is a) will the cap remove itself naturally over time? or b) whether repeatedly rebooting the router will trigger DLM to reassess the line, and would this increase speeds back to what they were if it detects the line as stable after its assessment?

Many thanks!

2. Advertisement
      seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: DLM, slow speeds

It really depends on whether the bad weather has caused any permanent damage. Can you perform a quiet line test and are you able to access the routers stats to check noise margins?

Repeated disconnections could trigger DLM but it usually has the reverse effect of causing further reductions in connection speed.
      If the line is capable of supporting a faster speed it should recover incrementally though it could take up to a month to stabilise.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Ns361 (25-02-16)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I doubt that it has, as the speeds during DLM were fine unless there was more bad weather (which then caused more disconnects). Noise margins are 22.9 Down, 18.18 Up, although I imagine they're so high because the system would have set them this high after lots of weather (thankfully its sunny now!).

Will the system reduce these noise margins over time to allow for faster speed? Or is the cap set by DLM permanent until removal requested?

btw, thanks for the help!

Thanks

Unless a manual cap has been set DLM (maintenance as opposed to training) runs continually so yes provided the good weather continues your speed will recover though it could be a very slow process.

I am wondering why bad weather causes such variance in speed. A long line which predominantly uses overhead cabling could explain this but for a standard line it would suggest that there is a latent fault which should be investigated. If the account holder uses this service I would expect that (busy or not) they would investigate why the service is so poor. Could you not get permission from the account holder, which would probably require a password, to call Sky broadband technical support on their behalf?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Ns361 (25-02-16)

Exchange:
      Thanks

It is an overhead cable, unfortunately. Would a manual cap be placed on our line without us having called in any faults, or is this case more likely to be training?

I wish they would give me permission, I have asked, many times, and the answer is always 'no'. My other housemates only really use the internet for university work and mild youtube use, so they aren't really seeing anything wrong with it, no matter how much I try to explain.

Thanks

If there hasn't been any contact with Sky regarding the state of the connection it is unlikely that a manual cap has been applied. If it is not possible to discuss the situation with Sky I would wait (at least ten days) to see if there is some improvement. If you have access to the router's admin screens you could check on the uptime as automatic reboots, particularly during the early hours of the morning, could indicate DLM activity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Ns361 (25-02-16)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you, very much! It's nice to finally be able to get a straight answer, so this is appreciated. I guess I should just wait.