Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

DLM and O2 router or Sky SR101 router - which is best?

This is a discussion on DLM and O2 router or Sky SR101 router - which is best? within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Switching back to Sky from PlusNet on 10th November. I have both my O2 router and the Sky SR101 and ...

jem16 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

DLM and O2 router or Sky SR101 router - which is best?

Switching back to Sky from PlusNet on 10th November. I have both my O2 router and the Sky SR101 and wondering which one to use for the best speed etc - or will it no matter?

Basically I have had an issue on PlusNet which may be down to the Line Splitter card. PlusNet did their best to get it fixed but BT refused to try another card as they said the line was stable. Technically the line is stable but on every incoming call the upstream SNR drops, although doesn't disconnect the BB, and CRC/HEC errors increase.

Now I'd like to monitor this to see if changing to Sky's equipment at the exchange fixes the issue but the SR101 doesn't give access to the errors whereas the O2 router does.

However I'd also like to get the best out of my Sky connection and wondering if the SR101 router would perform better, just the same or worse? Also wondering how DLM works these days and again if it matters which router is connected. When I first transferred over to Sky from O2, DLM seemed to set specific speeds when training the line as opposed to BT's DLM which just altered the SNR and the speed was then dependent on the SNR at time of sync.

Would appreciate any pointers please.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: DLM and O2 router or Sky SR101 router - which is best?

My general advice would be to install the sky router for the duration of the training period.

Then when you're certain that DLM has finished, connect the other one so you can observe the extra stats.
      You'll soon know if the o2 router doesn't perform as well with sky's exchange equipment.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      My general advice would be to install the sky router for the duration of the training period.
      So do you feel that Sky's router works best with Sky's equipment or just as far as the DLM training period is concerned?

Then when you're certain that DLM has finished, connect the other one so you can observe the extra stats.
      You'll soon know if the o2 router doesn't perform as well with sky's exchange equipment.
      That may well be the best solution. I can get the basic stats and RouterStats will work with the Sky router to allow me to at least monitor whether or not the SNR drops on incoming calls.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I just think that it's the safe logical option.

Whan sky first took on o2 customers there were certainly a few who struggled to get the best out of their line using their existing kit.
      I'm not sure if the issues were ever ironed out or not.

With a sky router the performance & features may not be top-notch but you are at least guaranteed to get the best out of the DLM software.
      This will include g.INP, potential for a 3dB downstream noise margin & a small chance of fastpath.

The o2 router may play ball just as well with sky's DLM but why risk it?
      Personally i'd always have that niggling thought in the back of my mind + the initial training usually only lasts about a week.

I'd say let the SR101 deal with getting all the profile parameters set in place first, then see how the other router performs in comparison.
      Then if something's not quite right you haven't lost anything.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

jem16 (03-11-15)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The SR101 firmware will support features such as G.INP. These are designed to improve your potential connection speed.

Sadly the O2 router doesn't have these features available.

This means that if there is a possibility of your line being improved without you tweaking the connection settings, then the SR101 is going to be better.

Note: These options are also available in the SR102. Both require firmware updates if they haven't been connected since early 2014.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

jem16 (05-11-15)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Both require firmware updates if they haven't been connected since early 2014.
      My SR101 was last connected on the 9th November 2014. Will it have the appropriate firmware? If not how do I get it?

Thanks

Yes it will, or at least should have.

The current firmware also supports IPv6 which we hope will be launching soon. The router will automatically update itself overnight once it is connected. It might not update for a few days, but it should do so without any outside interference.

To see what the latest firmware is, check out the table in the first post in the thread linked below.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-r...-firmware.html

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

To see what the latest firmware is, check out the table in the first post in the thread linked below.

Thanks. I assume I can see somewhere in the router stats what firmware is currently being used?

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTP
      Router: FRITZ!Box 3490
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Yes it will, or at least should have.

The current firmware also supports IPv6 which we hope will be launching soon. The router will automatically update itself overnight once it is connected. It might not update for a few days, but it should do so without any outside interference.

Unless of course you are on the SR102 that has just had ALL IPv6 stripped out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jem16 View Post
      Thanks. I assume I can see somewhere in the router stats what firmware is currently being used?
      Simply log into your router's GUI and click on the 'Maintenance' tab. The firmware version is near the top of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      Unless of course you are on the SR102 that has just had ALL IPv6 stripped out
      lol - yeah. Hopefully the version being checked out (1087) will pass and be rolled out soon enough.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast