Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DLM question please

This is a discussion on DLM question please within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have been on DLM now since the 1st Sept but it doesn't seem to be doing much? these ...

hutchys is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky SR101 Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DLM question please

Hi,
      I have been on DLM now since the 1st Sept but it doesn't seem to be doing much? these are my stats just now
      System Up Time: 31:27:16
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 492226 592522 0 619 1277 31:25:35
      LAN Up 74112 50488 0 577 0 31:27:16
      WLAN Up 770081 619829 0 8603 2911 31:26:54
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3712 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.0 dB 34.3 dB
      Noise Margin 5.8 dB 12.4 dB

As you can see it as not re synced for over 31 hours and to be honest that could have been me when I changed to open DNS (with a lot of help from NewsreadeR). Would changing over to openDNS stop the DLM from re syncing or do you think its not working?
      Also it has not changed that much since starting DLM should I wait for the 10 days or contact them today?
      Jim

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: DLM question please

Would changing over to openDNS stop the DLM from re syncing or do you think its not working?
      Nope I don't think so.

Also it has not changed that much since starting DLM should I wait for the 10 days or contact them today?
      To be fair, that is a pretty good speed considering the attenuation. The most you could possibly gain is about 4meg I would have thought anyway?

Just leave it be for now and see if DLM does refine it over the next few days?

Are you in the master / test socket?

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

(with a lot of help from NewsreadeR)
      Wasn't a lot of help from me, it only took about a minute to compare the 2 files. Glad it worked anyway!
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is possible your line is just not good enough to run with a lower noise margin. With a good line DLM can go down to 3 db, but it looks like yours will only go down to 6db and still be stable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hello Guys
      It has been down below 4db on noise but only in use whilst looking at the router stats not set at this. It could well be it wont go much higher than this but the ADSL2 tester states from 4mbps to 7Mbps and 4 is what I was hoping for but has I have said in another thread what I am getting now was a lot better than use to get and it's cheaper to boot.
      It is just that on all other threads when DLM is ongoing the router re synchs at least every day and there is usually movement up or down on the line speed and with this not happening on mine I was unsure it was working or not. I will leave it to see if it changes much and as I write now it has not re synched for 41+ hours and the speed has been the roughly same since DLM started
      Jim

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The figure is well off afaik no way would you get 7meg, I have an attenuation of 48 and can only just get 7meg

ADSL2+ Speed Test

We estimate your line is capable of between 4mb to 5mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service. This ADSL2 Line Speed Calculator is a best guess only, as to the broadband speed that maybe possible on your telephone line. The checker provides results of up to 24mb with the data that is made available to us. This is purely for indication only and should not be classed as the Line Speed that you would receive on any ADSL or LLU product from another ISP.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

DLM can complete in 3-4 days, when it does not resync in 72 hours you can be fairly sure it is finished.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes its finished download just checked on my Sky capped at 4.1Mbps download and upload at 798Kbps. I never thought it would get anywhere near 7Mbps but thought I may get 4Kbps so nearly there, still a lot better than I had.
      Jim

Thanks

If your noise margin goes up above 6db, reboot your router, you may see the 4 Mb yet

TomD

Useful Utilites

trailertrash is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: paignton
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If your noise margin goes up above 6db, reboot your router, you may see the 4 Mb yet
      That's interesting. I thought that once DLM had finished the speed and margin were fixed. Or was that DLM mk 1?

Thanks

If his line has been capped at 4.1 Mb, that is probably with a noise margin of 6db. If the noise margin rises above that he will possibly get a bit more than the 3.7Mb he has at present. If his speed had been set at 3.7, he would get no more, no matter how high the margin went.

The noise margin can rise and fall, it is not fixed.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast