Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DLM Retest and speed have dropped

This is a discussion on DLM Retest and speed have dropped within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I recently started using the official Sky (Sagemcom) router as a 'modem' for our broadband along with a Netgear N900 ...

Izak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Netgear N900
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

DLM Retest and speed have dropped

I recently started using the official Sky (Sagemcom) router as a 'modem' for our broadband along with a Netgear N900 as a router having previously used an aging Netgear DG834G to do both.

Our downsteam speed was around 13500kbps according to the router statistics and SpeedTest always said approx 10.70Mbps speed.

However, Sky restarted the DLM on the 22/08 and it finished yesterday reducing the downstream speed to 11200Kbps and SpeedTest saying 9.18Mbps.

Nothing has altered where the ADSL wiring is concerned so why should switching from an aging router to a new (and fully official) Sky model cause the speed to drop?

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max/superfast
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: DLM Retest and speed have dropped

possibly dlm has picked up on some sort of interference or new router not running as well , connect both router s to line and take their stats and compare them

Izak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Netgear N900
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: DLM Retest and speed have dropped

Thanks for your reply. I've just been on Sky's website and looked at the DLM details. my download speed has been set to 1.3Mbps (about what the router says it is) and the upload is 1.2 Mbps (my router says 832Kbps).

It also says that DLM will only retest if it notices any changes in the line and will start within 3 days of this. I installed the Sky Sagemcom/Netgear N900 setup at the beginning of July so this cannot be the cause of the issue. Nothing has happened to the phone line since.

I have made a little change to the setup today to see if it improves anything. The ADSL cable ran through a surge protector before it reached the Sagemcom, I have removed this and ran the Ethernet cable connecting Sagemcom to Netgear through the surge protector instead. That way, there is less possibilities of interference on the ADSL line while at the same time protecting my network from any spikes.