Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is it as terrible as BT Wholesale's DLM?

This is a discussion on Is it as terrible as BT Wholesale's DLM? within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm the process of migrating over to Sky Broadband LLU . One of the reasons for my decision is that ...

klipp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01205
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Is it as terrible as BT Wholesale's DLM?

I'm the process of migrating over to Sky Broadband LLU. One of the reasons for my decision is that I was told on LLU I'd be free from awful DLM that BT Wholesale users have to experience. So I was quite shocked when I found this forum which says Sky LLU still uses DLM.

Is it the same system as BT use? ie. quick to raise your SNR at the slightest sign of trouble, but weeks of stability before it eventually decides to recover.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Is it as terrible as BT Wholesale's DLM?

Can be, that's the whole point of DLM - to keep the line working at the best it can for its current condition

ALL ISPs use some form of DLM

In case you've 1. not read your welcome letter, or 2. not read the DLM forum on here you'll start at 4Mbps so don't freak out and get all upset when you're on this speed. It'll then increase over the following 10 or so days so LEAVE THE ROUTER TURNED ON AT ALL TIMES

Also, have the router in your master socket and make sure other sockets in use are filtered correctly
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

klipp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01205
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Hi IWasNotTheEnemy. Thanks for the reply. I have a Line Attenuation of 55dB, so my typical throughput is mid 3000's. If I start out at 4Mb I will freak out... with happiness lol.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

As IWNTE has suggested, leave your router plugged in whilst DLM is working.

According to the tool on this forum, an estimate for your line would fall between 4 & 5Mb.

I would suggest that you also take a look at many of the posts on this forum that provide tips on how to get the best from your connection. Simple things that help include using the Master Socket, checking your telephone wiring and looking at how best to connect your Sky STB to both the telephone & LAN if you have this.

BT's HomeHub v2 uses WiFi n which is a good up to date standard. Sadly Sky's router uses WiFi g which has a weaker signal. This may mean that if you rely on WiFi, you may need to resort to hooking up the BT router as a WiFi Switch.

There are various threads on how to do this as well.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.