Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DLM Question

This is a discussion on DLM Question within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, NetGear DG934 [Sky Firmware] V2-Black ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream Connection Speed4091 kbps606 kbps Line Attenuation47 db30 db Noise Margin10 db20 ...

ging_er is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ryde
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DLM Question

Hi all,

NetGear DG934 [Sky Firmware] V2-Black

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
      Connection Speed4091 kbps606 kbps
      Line Attenuation47 db30 db
      Noise Margin10 db20 db

I had been trying to upgrade from everyday to unlimited online following the quidco link for several weeks with no joy. I was upgraded following an email question by sky about 2 weeks ago now but that would have meant losing the quidco money so I asked them to put me back to everyday. After trying a few more times I finally threw in the towel and just phoned for an upgrade yesterday.

I'm worried all this upgrading/ downgrading may have messed the dlm process. I've read a few posts here and checked on 'my sky' but under connection details it just says 'We are currently unable to display your broadband connection details.'

I was wondering if the status of connection details definitely changes when dlm starts? Also as my upload speed doesn't match the two figures (412/794) given in the 'everything you need to know thread' does that mean dlm hasn't started?

Even if the dlm process recently completed from the first upgrade do you think this latest (and final!) upgrade will trigger another dlm process?

Thanks for you help. Sorry about the long jackanory!

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: DLM Question

The upload of 606kbps shows that you are on the everyday package, watch over next two days for a change in stats, or if you cannot wait phone sky and ask for it to be manually configured.

Thanks

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3803 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46 db 30 db
      Noise Margin 5 db 14 db

The upload speed has changed in the night. I think I read somewhere in the forum that this happens first. Fingers crossed!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Your noise margin has dropped so you are actually going to get a slower speed. Have you moved the router? Try the test socket.

Thanks

Hi Smithy,

Yesterday morning I removed the faceplate and took out the old bell wire after reading a how to on this forum. I plugged the router into the main test socket and checked the stats then replaced the faceplate and did the same. There was very little difference between the two so i've left the faceplate on.

I've read a few things about noise margin and i'm still a little confused. I understand it varies throughout the day. I've just checked and the download noise margin is 10db. I've read a good figure is 6.9db (i presume that's the download figure). Also does the gap between the upload and download have a significance? Am i right in thinking the bigger the difference between the two the better?

Thanks

Connection Speed 3803 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46 db 30 db
      Noise Margin 10 db 14 db

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The higher the noise margin, the better (in terms for being able to push out more speed). The closer it is to 7, or below, then that means no more speed will be able to be pushed out. Your SNR fingures show 3db difference from 7db (sky's target SNR) and thus not that much speed to push out at all. Are you using any extension cables to the broadband? Plug back into the test socket and double check all your extension sockets are dead (no dial tone) and re-post the stats incase the SNRs change significantly.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I think i'm getting a bit obsessed with this!

Connection Speed 3788 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47 db 30 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 14 db

The above figures are from the test socket. From what you said it seems there is something going on. I have one extension from the main sockett which goes upstairs however it's now unused as i have a couple of cordless phones. I have just ordered a filtered faceplate which should hopefully help. (obsseive impluse buy!)

I have also had an email from sky confirming dlm started yesterday. I will now leave the router plugged into the test socket until the filtered faceplate arrives as i want to avoid any disconnections.

Checking my stats i should recieve 6-7mb which i would be happy with. Now i just need to try and sit on my hands for a few days and watch and wait.

thanks again

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ging_er View Post
      Noise Margin 13 db 14 db

I have just ordered a filtered faceplate which should hopefully help. (obsseive impluse buy!)

I have also had an email from sky confirming dlm started yesterday. I will now leave the router plugged into the test socket until the filtered faceplate arrives as i want to avoid any disconnections.

Checking my stats i should recieve 6-7mb which i would be happy with. Now i just need to try and sit on my hands for a few days and watch and wait.

thanks again
      Good purchase with the filtered faceplate - it should sort out your internal wiring issues you have there. As you say, keep it in the test socket for the time being until you receive the filtered faceplate.

You would be about right - you should see around 6mb or thereabouts but it's really hard to tell in some instances. Wait DLM out and see where you end up. If it's not the speed you're hoping for, and you have SNR spare, then call up sky and they'll uncap you.

Thanks

Noise Margin 9 db 14 db

Seems to have been no movement overnight. Looking at the WAN up time the router hasn't restarted since I changed to the test socket yesterday afternoon. Does that happen sometimes? Does it only alter speeds overnight?

Fingers crossed my faceplate may turn up today. Perhaps my microfilter is a bit ropey (clutching at straws now!).

Thanks

Connection Speed 4093 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47 db 28 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 14 db

My filtered faceplate turned up today (thanks adsl nation, great service) and i've fitted it with the stats above. Hopefully the noise margin will stay around the same and i'll be able to squeeze another 2megs out of this line. Come on DLM!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast