Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Possible Speed - DLM Stalled?

This is a discussion on Possible Speed - DLM Stalled? within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, Have been using this forum for info on Sky BB for months and it helped me make the ...

rune is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Possible Speed - DLM Stalled?

Hi guys,

Have been using this forum for info on Sky BB for months and it helped me make the decision to take the plunge on their 6 month free unlimited offer.

I am currently under the DLM process (have been since the 7th) but unfortunately my router has been reset 4 times since then 3 times due to power failure (During one of the power outages I used this as an opportunity to remove the bell wire from the master and extension sockets - gained an extra 2db on SNR figures.) and the fourth due to a dodgy microfilter which was cauing huge amounts of noise whilst on the phone, thus had to be replaced. Will this cause problems because it started off on on the standard 4mbit and the next day (8th) jumped to 12mbit. Since then it has stayed stationary and not moved. Will the restarts and extra noise caused by the filter cause the DLM process to stall, looking at my stats is there any extra speed available - to me it looks as though there should be. The chap on the phone from sky talk diagnosing my phone line issue seemed to think it was capable of around 17mbit.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12280 kbps 921 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.0 db 12.6 db
      Noise Margin 10.6 db 11.0 db

I dont have a NTE5 master so cant use a test socket just a standard LJU master with capacitor which I believe is a spur from a junction box in the loft. There is only one other extension in the property which is not in use and wont be whilst I reside here- can disconnecting the wires for this ade in squeezing out any extra?

Thanks and Regards!

Last edited by rune; 11-01-10 at 08:40 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Possible Speed - DLM Stalled?

Disconnecting any unused extensions can only help.

You do have some more speed available but I would do any work to the wiring before ringing Sky to save doing it twice.

The connection in the loft, is it just a junction box or is it another socket, if it is a socket then that one will be the master and it is worth checking that the ring wire is also removed from it.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

First things first, you need to find where your incoming line come in. With any luck it will be in the loft at the juction you think is there. If this is so then you can disconnect the cable to the unsed extension leaving the incoming line connected to just the master (the one with the capacitor).
      Next step is to disconnect the ring line at the master. Remove any wire or wires which are connected to 3 at the master socket.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your advice and comments...

Ok its just a junction box in the loft with one wire going going a short dustance to the office where the master socket is (with capacitor). Inside the master socket there were 2 pairs of wires connected to 2 + 5 - so i disconnected the second pair which runs downstairs to the dining room as an extension. After re syncing my SNR has actually dropped slightly - probably due to time of day I should imagine but it is there or there abouts as to what is posted above. I removed the ring wire previously so there is nothing in any other terminals except 2+5. I dont know if it takes a certain amount of time for this to bed in or whether the results should be immediate! So now thats router restart number 5 in 4 days! :E

Cheers.

Thanks

Right, can we assume that the line comes into your home in the loft, with just one line down to the office master now? The next step is to check that junction box and ensure it is nice and dry and the connections are tight. This time of the year lofts get very cold and are prone to condensation, so if there is any damp in the box give it a good squirt of WD40.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes Brian, just the one to office now. It looked ok to me in the quick look I gave it,the loft is proper insulated and boarded out but is possible that it could have condensation. I will take a look at it tomo night after work. What SNR am I aiming for, would I be able to hit 17-18mbit with what I have currently? How does 1db rises in SNR correlate to speed increase when on DLM on a 27db attenuated line? I understand that the target when all is finalised is to get to 6db. Also is the upload at its maximum?

Cheers.

Thanks

Check out the junction box and then look at the stats again. Once you have ensured that your line is o.k, as far as you can, then get back on to Sky and have your line configered for the best speeds possible.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right I checked all the wiring this morning and gave Sky a ring. They said the line was capable of 18.9mbit and would set that for me. After 3 mins my router re synced but whatever they have done has pooched it up. I now have these stats.

Connection Speed 9184 kbps 1024 kbps
      Line Attenuation 23.0 db 13.5 db
      Noise Margin 9.9 db 7.0 db

My download speed has dropped and my line attenuation has dropped 4db ???

I phoned Sky back immediatly but got disconnected whilst on hold, I then phoned back again and was issed a ticket number and placed on hold... I have now been on hold for an hour trying to figure out what has happened.
      Last edited by rune; 13-01-10 at 02:08 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I finally got though and spoke to the most helpful CST member who spent a good 30 mins diagnosing some issues with my connection - he had no idea what the indian chap that I spoke to prior had done to it. After all was tested and finalised it settled at:

Connection Speed 15482 kbps 1018 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.0 db 12.7 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 8.0 db

Very pleased, and also I am very impressed by Sky BBs CST and in particular how professional, friendly and thorough the man was troubleshooting my problems even during an extremely busy period!