Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

New to sky base...

This is a discussion on New to sky base... within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Bleh, if you got through to someone who could suspend and put DLM back on your line, then the agent ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New to sky base...

Bleh, if you got through to someone who could suspend and put DLM back on your line, then the agent could have just config'd your line to 2048/416 there and then to save the hassle. Hopefully DLM should have you cruising at 2mb throughout the whole training period.

2. Advertisement
      sparkz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMOULT
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

nothing yet from Sky...no sign of the DLM starting again in mysky...will hassle them more tomorrow if there is still no activity..

a quick additional question, i was reading thru the FAQs and swatting up on the technical side of the connection (last time i bothered looking was 3 years ago...so i forgot all of what i learned then!) and comparing my figures to others my noise margin looks high?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1019 kbps 253 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35 db 20 db
      Noise Margin 31 db 19 db

im wondering if this could be causing me problems?...as i mentioned currently im running a filtered faceplate (its a few years old now!) straght in to the modem...i dont even have a phone plugged in at the moment...its as clean internally as i can get!...could there be an external line fault (we are still about 6" in snow at the moment here - im wondering if the JB's are full of water or something?)

thanks again...

S

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

No nothing your end, it just hasn;t started yet, there have been a few cases like this lately, give them a ring, they should be able to either get it going or manually configure it for you.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The high noise margin is just what you want to see, the higher the figure the more speed potential you have. Unless it is 2147483647, which actually means it is a negative value. Yours is fine so don't worry about it. The thing is Sky need to get the finger out and set your line properly. Phone them again and don't be fobbed off with talk of DLM, tell them you want your line set manually.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

ok..new update!...

after not actually noticing DLM taking place on my line and with no increase in connection speed i gave em a call tonight...

thy advised DLM had taken place and had advised the crap connection speed was the best i could get...but the nice fella on the end of the phone agreed to override the DLM value and im please to say..

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2042 kbps 414 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36 db 20 db
      Noise Margin 31 db 22 db

im up to 2meg....

i did quiz him as to why the DLM had failed twice..altho he couldnt give a reason...he sugested it may be something in the home..to which i advised since the last time i had spoken to them the only thing plugged in to my master filtered socket was my router (i dont use my home phone hardly anyway!) - to which he could give no explanation....

will see how it goes for the next few weeks...and will prob end up upgrading to everyday if all is ok..as monitoring my usage...2gig a month is gonna be a little tight (i find myself being fruggle with my downloads...which isnt worth the hassle for the sake of a fiver a month!)

thanks again for your assistace...will report back if anything changes

S

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

They should have done that in the first place, running DLM on a line with a noise margin in the 30s and a limit of 2 Mb, is just plain stupid.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Well, after blasting the roof off of my 2gig DL limit in the 1st few days of my 2nd month with sky...i got the email today informing me i had been upgraded to 'everyday'

as mentioned above on both occasions DLM has been atempted it failed right away..therefore they manually configured my speeds.

i checked today and the speeds are unchanged as yet...and based on previous experience i suspect that no increase in speed will happen untill i hassle sky, therefore was gonna give them a call later tonight.

im hoping i can refer to my last ticket number and show that DLM for what ever reason doesnt work with my connection and try and sweet talk a manual config again.....what do you think the likelyhood is?

Cheers folks..

S

Thanks

after doing the (simple) maths...i figured it was gonna cost the same for 12months to go to unlimited as opposed to everyday on account of the current 6month free offer...so i switched to that!....

not quite sure how its gonna work upgrading to unlimited on the day sky automatically upgraded me to everyday.

hopefully i can get the most of of my connection now!

Thanks

Well.....after calling tech support tonight...i think for the 1st time..im disapointed in sky!?

I called as previously my line has failed as soon as DLM is started....since upgrading to unlimited there has been no change (at all!) in my connection speed...its was pretty obvious that DLM wasnt running.

so i calls the technical helpline (was impressed with them as the last 2 calls i put in..( higher level technical support staff - much quieter environment with no 'call center babble' in the background) and its imediately obvious the person i was conncted to today had a lower level of technical ability. (it was a lady..and she sounded sorta mexican or spanish!? with loads of babbling in the background!) i asked if DLM was active on my connection after upgrading and mentioned it had failed on every occasion it had been performed in the past.....she confirmed it started yesterday and failed straight away (like it always does!) she said she cant do anything to help untill after 10 days had passed as my line was being optimised for the best possible speed!? - i explained thats what the DLM process is ment to do and reminded her that she had already confirmed it had already started and failed.

I tried the normal 'can i speak to higher tier support staff' to allow them to manually configure it...she said no - i cant talk to them untill after the 10 day period is up.....i reminded her that nothing is gonna change on my line in 10 days..as DLM isnt running and will fail if they try again....she said call again in 10 days and they can do something about it.

so...im now playing the stupid game of wait 10 days...achive nothing and have to have the same phone call again (hopefully to a technical bod next time!)....id be even more annoyed if it wasnt for the fact that im in the '6 months free' period!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Did you ring after 11pm?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast