Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DLM or problem?

This is a discussion on DLM or problem? within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hiya, I was wondering if anyone could give me some help? About 5-7 days ago my broadband line went really ...

Jackxsup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DLM or problem?

Hiya, I was wondering if anyone could give me some help?

About 5-7 days ago my broadband line went really slow, It connects and loads but it's so slow sometimes a page will not load. I contacted Sky for help who told me to go through all the basic checks (try a new filter, disconnect your router, reset your router, unplug all the cables and re-plug). I done all these to no avail, the man then told me he would forward the problem to someone, I can't remember what they were called exactly but he gave me a ticket no. and assured me they would call back ASAP. Anyway you guessed it no call. I then rang up again and explained the situation to a new lady who for some reason thought that clearing cookies and history along with refreshing would solve my problem.

I quickly hung up on the cue card lady and rang back, I got a nice guy that went through the basics again, after still not working he told me to enter "Netstat" in command prompt. He told me you should have between 5-10 active connections. I had about 40-50. He then went on to tell me that I had slow speeds because all those connections were virus' leeching my internet connection. So last night like the fool I am I system restored my laptop and lost 130GB's worth of stuff and hey! guess what?, still the same problem!

These are my stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 864 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 60.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 12.8 db 14.0 db

Can anyone shed some light please?

I really hope it's DLM so I can get back to internetting.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: DLM or problem?

I got a nice guy that went through the basics again, after still not working he told me to enter "Netstat" in command prompt. He told me you should have between 5-10 active connections. I had about 40-50. He then went on to tell me that I had slow speeds because all those connections were virus' leeching my internet connection.
      This may slow down your download speed, but it will not effect your sync speed, which is your main problem. Sky often use this to fob off customers.

I don't think DLM is running on your line as you are still showing a G.DMT upload speed. Your line is capped and the only way you will get it fixed is to get through to CST. Phone back and tell whoever you get that you have improved your wiring and would like to be passed to CST to have your line reconfigured. If you are given a ticket number, keep it and keep phoning back and quoting it, don't wait 3 days or the ticket will be dead.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you taken a look at those stats????? All i am saying is that speed you are getting is pretty much as good as it will get depending on your line length. If you feel that you should be getting more speed out of this or got faster speeds before then call sky again. The only reason why netstat is run is because the estimated speed for your line is probably about half a meg so it is not slower than the estimated speed for your line otherwise you would of had a ticket raised for CST. If you have a test socket (unscrew your master socket and look for another socket to the right hand side) then plug your router directly into this via a microfilter and call sky. Advised level 1 support you are in your test socket and have changed your filters. Your attenuation is 60Db you are 3Db off the highest a SP will see however your SNR is pretty healthy. Another thing to just because the upload is set to 416Kbps this does not mean DLM has not been on the line there could be an issue with your upload due to d-side or e-side cabling which means DLM has decreased your upload speed to keep this stable. There is a reason why it is called dynamic line management as that is exactly what it does.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
      Have you taken a look at those stats????? All i am saying is that speed you are getting is pretty much as good as it will get
      Well considering the noise margin is nearly double the Sky default They should be able to get another 1-2mb which is an increase of over 200% so I don't think it is "as good as it will get"

Ring Sky again, ensure you are in the test socket (or at least say you are) then go through the slow speed troubleshooting, once you have done the tests ect insist on speaking to CST to have your line manually reprofiled.

You may want to do it after 10:30pm to give yourself the best chance to speak to CST.

Thanks

The only reason why netstat is run is because the estimated speed for your line is probably about half a meg so it is not slower than the estimated speed for your line otherwise you would of had a ticket raised for CST
      I have difficulty understanding what you mean, but it seems to imply that netstat has something to do with the sync speed. I have news for you, it has nothing to do with the sync speed, only the download speed. I would not be surprised if you were one of the agents who fob users off with this excuse when you don't know what else to do.

Your attenuation is 60Db you are 3Db off the highest a SP will see
      Only on G.dmt, if the line is or was on DLM which means the Mode is ADSL2+, it can show the full attenuation.

The fact remains that this user is capped and will not know if the cap is necessary until it is removed. The only time a cap is required is when there is a larger swing in the noise margin than the router can handle. This does happen, but not as often as Sky seem to think.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am very aware as to what netstat is there for thanks very much and i have news for you i am not "1 of the agents that fobs customers off" so i think you should search your facts before you go pointing any fingers. This guy as i can see may very well have a problem with his line wither it may be the d-side or e-side but at the end of the day he will need to still go through troubleshooting with sky and is better off going into the test socket and staying in there until his issue is resolved. Now we don't know is line length but i am sure you are all very well aware that speed depends on a few factors and line length and quality being 1 of them. Also internal wiring plays its part aswell as the way the customer has setup his router in the house. If there was a ticket made up before for CST then there should be no other reason as to why another 1 can not be made up. The chances are an engineer will be arranged or a TP shift depending on what sky feel is worth trying first (usually they do a TP shift which they did with mine). It could turn out that there may be aluminium from the cab to the exchange which is the problem i have and the reason for my attenuation being so high regardless of the fact that i am 1.7Km from the exchange. So yes as i stated the attenuation is high but the SNR is healthy and should be getting more out of this. Due to the SNR being healthy i would say there isn't a terrible distance between the master socket and the exchange so all in all sky should get this fixed. In regards to wither DLM is on this line or not this doesn't really make that much difference cause DLM will manage this line to the best possible speed and record this off whatever the router is reporting in regards to line stats (Attenuation and SNR) so i would see DLM placing the line on a low speed on ADSL2+ as that is defaulted for the DLM as ADSL is not really used by sky that often. If you take a look at my stats you will see what i mean when i say high attenuation due to line factors mine being aluminium from exchange to cab:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7840 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 28.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.1 db 14.0 db

Attenuation on 47db on ADSL and it rises to 50Db on ADSL2+ which i am aware is perfectly normal. My SNR's however are very unhealthy for my downstream but as i said its the aluminium causing this. My advise would be for this customer to call sky and get through to CST. Do not say your in the test socket if you arn't because lying won't get you anywhere but this is up to you

Thanks

Have you taken a look at those stats????? All i am saying is that speed you are getting is pretty much as good as it will get depending on your line length.
      So yes as i stated the attenuation is high but the SNR is healthy and should be getting more out of this.
      You are contradicting yourself!!!

You are now also giving the same advice I gave in my first reply, so what is your problem?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

He doesn't need an engineer, he needs Sky to uncap his line, it will clearly take more speed.

If you cannot see that then you should consider a different career path!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I ain't the one with the problem here. We will let him decide what he wishes to do but the fact still remains he needs to contact sky about this to get it sorted and yes he will need to go to CST. What he see's in the router stats and what CST see on there systems in regards to "max attainable" is completely different. They may not beable to raise his line due to a possible issue on the line and that has been my point all along where as this may not be related to DLM what soever but related to a d-side or e-side cabling issue. As i said in my previous post he needs to connect to the test socket and re-post his stats to see if there is any difference.