Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Base stats OK to you guys?

This is a discussion on Base stats OK to you guys? within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Alright guys, agreed to take a look at my uncles broadband/wireless interupting with TV wireless transmitter.. While i'm here, can ...

Azasmith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harrowden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Base stats OK to you guys?

Alright guys, agreed to take a look at my uncles broadband/wireless interupting with TV wireless transmitter..

While i'm here, can you check the stats?

He's on the base ( whatever that's changed to. )

Router stats as follows.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2044 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43 db 25 db
      Noise Margin 25 db 27 db

Seems ok to me, don't know about any of you guys. First time i tried the margin upstream was in the billions.

Cheers guys.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Base stats OK to you guys?

That's OK for Base, which is still called Base, the upstream will increase with the new higher speeds.

First time i tried the margin upstream was in the billions.
      That indicates a negative noise margin. Given the existing figure it has probably just been a glitch.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Cheers, while i'm here i've got a long winded question. Bare with me with this. Basically, at the minute we have 3 phones in the house. One master socket. The filter is on the master and on the filter is the RJ11 to the router, and a phone line splitter, (looks like an ordinary filter but doesn't have the RJ11 socket. Just a phone line. This goes to phone number 1. The splitter goes upstairs to the bedroom through the ceiling to a socket with another phone line splitter attached where the second phone is attached, the 2nd splitter with the cable goes through another wall to an extension study, which is simply a socket with the 3rd phone plugged in. Quite a bodged job i know. haha i didn't do it.

I'm going to recommend fitting extension sockets onto the master, instead of this stupid extending of phone lines, because i ran a quiet line test on the furthest phone and there was constant crackling on the line. My main question is,

1) How do i run two extensions from the master, will it require two cables, or can i run some cable to the first extension then from that extension to another. How much would it cost for 2 extension plates (with backbox so i don't have to go through the wall and say 50 metres of decent cable. )

And any other ideas/reccomendations would be appreciated.

Oh and plugged into the test socket,

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2044 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43 db 25 db
      Noise Margin 25 db 2147483647 db

It's gone back up to the billions. If i remove and plug in, it goes to the one in OP, leave it a while it goes to the millions... :s

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

(1) purchase a filter faceplate (from Run-it Direct or ADSL Nation)

(2) Purchase the number of extension sockets required along with the required length of CW1308 2 pair telephone cable (you can run one cable from the master and loop in where you need the sockets, you do not need to run individual cables from the master unless this would be easer) dont forget cable clips, and a IDC insertion tool.

(3) fit the filter faceplate to the master and connect the cable to the numbered conections on it wire colours are

Blue /white rings to 2
      White/blue rings to 5
      Orange/white rings to 3.

connect the same colours to the same terminal numbers on the extension sockets.

Before you do anything have you carried out the noise test at the test socket? was the line noisy there?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      (1) purchase a filter faceplate (from Run-it Direct or ADSL Nation)
      What's the main difference between this and the standard NTE5 i already have that Mr BT man installed? Probably me being a bit thick to be honest.

How do you mean by loop in where i need the sockets?

Is it as simple as buying the CW1308 cable, putting it into 2 and 5 running the cable to the next socket, plugging into 2 and 5 there, then having another cable in the 2 and 5 to the third socket? Or do i need some other contraption? Is the ring wire necessary for the extensions?

As you can tell this is the first time i've attempted extensions.

I want the router attached to the 3rd extension, as there is a desktop in there which needs a connection...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Do you have a filtered faceplate at the moment? If you have take the face plate off and see if you have two terminals on the back lettered A and B and several numbered terminals. If you don't have the A-B terminals you will have to replace it with one that has.

If you want a dedicated ADSL socket it will have to be either run as a seperate cable or be the first in line from the Master socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You prob will have to replace the faceplate filter for one with A and B connections.

What I mean is take the wire from the master to the first extension, and from the first extension to the next and so on Use the colour code I gave and connect the ring wire, you may need it., and the filter faceplate prevents it from causing any problems.
      For the ADSL extension you will need to run a seperate cable connected to A and B on the filter faceplate ( white/blue A blue /white B ) and run this to where you want the extension socket.

Thanks

Alright guys, think i've decided against fitting extensions, would be easier to just coax the sky instead...