Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unwanted and unrequested "on demand" downloads [SOLVED]

This is a discussion on Unwanted and unrequested "on demand" downloads [SOLVED] within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have noticed recently that I have icons in the "On Demand" sections of Sky that seem to show that ...

1000les is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Warmwell
      Broadband ISP: Sky fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Unwanted and unrequested "on demand" downloads [SOLVED]

I have noticed recently that I have icons in the "On Demand" sections of Sky that seem to show that I've requested (or DEMANDed) programmes that neither I nor my wife have requested.

Sky said that this couldn't happen - further suggesting that I delete it from my planer and then rebuild. I had already informed them (in my intitial email) that these programs did not show in the planner so, I wondered, how could I "delete" them.

The next reply I got from Sky totally ignored my earlier response and then went into detail into how I could "Permanently Delete" planner items that I'd previously deleted! Again, not too helpful.

Has anyone else had problems similar? The programmes (downloaded) only show when browsing the various "On Demand" channels and DO NOT show in the planner! They also seem to "disappear" from on demand without logical reason!

Hopefully, I have not duplicated an already existing thread, but, as a new boy, I'm not quite sure how to check before posting. Perhaps someone could help me with these "basics". Thank you.

Les

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

re: Unwanted and unrequested "on demand" downloads [SOLVED]

Hi Les and welcome to the forum.
      I'm guessing that what you are seeing is pushed on demand content which used to be called showcase. It doesn't do any harm as it is downloaded from the satellite not your broadband connection and uses reserved space on the disk.

If you really want to disable this behaviour go to the Customise menu, services 6 8 and use the arrow keys to change "Enable Pushed On Demand" to off. The green button saves this setting after displaying a warning message on the screen. Press select to confirm.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

1000les (17-03-15)

Thanks

Seawright, thanks for the welcome.
      I think you're dead right with your guess. Will try what you're suggesting once I've got the box back - (Emmerdale is showing!).
      I did - finally - get some reaction from Sky which was similar in part content to yours, but without giving me any detail as to what to do about it or why I might want to.
      Does anyone know if there is an index/explanation of the icons that Sky uses or is there anywhere that I get explanations of the multitude of different aspects/functions of Sky + HD? It could have been so easy with a few instructions.
      If all is well, as I'm sure it will be, how do I sign off this thread as "solved"?
      Once again seawright, thanks for your help.
      Les

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Sky+ HD boxes used to be supplied with a manual/handbook but this has now been discontinued.
      The official reason was for cost saving, but as Sky updates the software over the air any changes to the user interface would quickly render the handbook out of date.

You can download a copy from:

http://storage.sky.com/prod/helpcent...erguide-v2.pdf

Page 40 refers to the problem you are experiencing.

As for marking this thread as solved, I don't think the site owners have implemented this function or if they have it is a closely guarded secret.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

1000les (18-03-15)

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Re: Unwanted and unrequested "on demand" downloads [SOLVED]

Can be done manually by the mods if requested but, as Seawright says, there's no user function to do so - sorry.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Saturday For This Useful Post:

1000les (18-03-15)

Thanks

Re: Unwanted and unrequested "on demand" downloads [SOLVED]

Really helpful answers, thank you seawright.

I have followed your helpful response and now these annoying problems have gone.

I also have my own Sky+ HD user guide - again, thanks to you. I can see that written user guides would quickly become obsolete, however, it beggars belief that Sky (such a high tech company) don't keep an updated guide on line and advise its customers where and when this guide resides/is updated. Simple really!

Anyway, I see this problem is marked [SOLVED] now, so I suppose the "mods" have done this - Saturday! It seems to me that it might be useful if the originator of the thread had the option to mark it as solved when sorted. Just a thought!

Thanks again to all responses to my frustrating problem.

Les